Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just over 53,000 on my 06 and today my ignition failed. I stuck the key in the ignition and it would not turn, the dials lit up and the icon saying the back window was open lit up, but the key would not turn in any direction. I had to have it towed home because I had all my garden tools on board, the tow driver even tried, as if I had not already tried over and over while waiting for my tow service to find an available tow truck. At first they said three hours before a tow truck could get to me. I was not in a good location for my truck to be left without the risk of it being broken into or my tools stolen, so all I could do was wait and keep trying the key. Fortuntately I only had to wait 1 ½ hours. The tow driver called the shop and they told him that there was a small tab on top of the steering wheel and to he put the tip of the key in there to release the gear shift to put it in neutral so he could move it. Any one else have their ignition switch fail like this and what I can expect cost wise?

· Premium Member
372 Posts
Is the key itself messed up in any way? bent or worn...
That was my question as well. From looking at the issue there could be several things causing this from dirt in the ignition to a worn key, to a locked steering wheel. (which is easy enough to remedy and was probably checked) I'd say your looking at a couple hundred dollars to get it fixed.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,898 Posts

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the truck towed in to the Honda dealership that I bought it from in 2005 and where all of its work has been done. Nothing is wrong with the key, both keys and the valet key will go into the lock but not turn it. They think it is a tumbler. I do not have any weight on my truck key, I keep all my other keys on a separate keychain. I have been quoted a minimum of $300 to $500 and they will call me if the lock needs replacing and shock me with the price then.:|

I do not go anywhere but to my yards that I maintain, currently 35 yards across three towns; McKinleyville where I live, Arcata the home of Humboldt State University and Eureka. Eureka is 12 miles away, so the days that I go there are my longest trips that may come to a 30 mile round trip, but mostly I am local and may only drive 5 miles in a day and still do the lawns and maintenance of up to 7 yards in one day. I have been to Bakersfield once, to the meets in Santa Cruz twice and the meets at Mount Diablo twice and a meet in 2008 where three of us met in Yosemite. I really cannot take more then three days off and long trips take more time off than I can take away from the yards I maintain. Everyone always tells me that they think it is wonderful that I have a job that is outside, but most gardeners that I know are like me, working all the time unless it is raining.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Let us know whats up and you might be lookin at adding another yard or two to cover repairs :wink:. I work outside also but even when it pores out. I dont see this bein a key thing for some reason but who knows. Do you have to do alot of wheel turning without the truck movin.

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know whats up and you might be lookin at adding another yard or two to cover repairs :wink:. I work outside also but even when it pores out. I dont see this bein a key thing for some reason but who knows. Do you have to do alot of wheel turning without the truck movin.
I just picked up a tri-plex and two houses on the day my truck broke down and may get another yard from a friend just blocks from the tri-plex and had one yard a few blocks from those where the neighbor had hired me just three weeks ago, I went from one yard in Eureka to six counting the trip-plex as one, so I have picked up enough work to cover the cost of the repairs, I just need my truck back so I can do my jobs. I have had no problems with my keys, ever, but I had the air bag recall done back in November of last year, five months ago.

· Registered
6 Posts
Did you try jerking the wheel back and forth while turning the key? That always does it for me when this happens. It hasn't happened in my Ridgeline yet, but I've had other cars that would do this sometimes and that's all it took.

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything that everyone has suggested I try, I tried in that 1 ½ hours I waited for a tow service. Anyway, I got a call from the Honda dealer and the switch is gone, cost of a new switch assembly will be $399, rekeying the assembly to use my original keys is another $80 and total cost will be about $680 with labor and I should get my truck back by this Thursday. So I got an unwanted and unplanned 1 week vacation from work and will be working overtime to catch up on my lawns again.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Everything that everyone has suggested I try, I tried in that 1 ½ hours I waited for a tow service. Anyway, I got a call from the Honda dealer and the switch is gone, cost of a new switch assembly will be $399, rekeying the assembly to use my original keys is another $80 and total cost will be about $680 with labor and I should get my truck back by this Thursday. So I got an unwanted and unplanned 1 week vacation from work and will be working overtime to catch up on my lawns again.
I'm thinking with so few miles on your truck, you have a lot of startups and shutdowns with very short trips in a typical day. I'd bet that also puts you in the severe service category which would also bump up your timing belt/water pump service (amongst other things too).

Just a thought. But it really sounds like your RL lives a pretty harsh life relative to most of our RLs simply due to the nature of your work and usage. I wonder how your starter is holding up? Do batteries last or do you find yourself replacing batteries more often than not?

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts
I drive shorter distance then he does with out the issue hes talkin about but more often. You make me nervous......:grin: I need another new ride.
That G2 RL must be callin' your name. Sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse to trade!

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking with so few miles on your truck, you have a lot of startups and shutdowns with very short trips in a typical day. I'd bet that also puts you in the severe service category which would also bump up your timing belt/water pump service (amongst other things too).

Just a thought. But it really sounds like your RL lives a pretty harsh life relative to most of our RLs simply due to the nature of your work and usage. I wonder how your starter is holding up? Do batteries last or do you find yourself replacing batteries more often than not?
I am two years into my second battery and three years into my second set of tires, the originals lasted to 35,000. I typically get in and out of my truck at least 5 or six times a day and start or restart it often as many times. For what it is worth, I also live in a humid climate, right on the coast, that is why I had the air bag replaced last November.

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts
5 or 6 starts a day is not as bad as I thought it might be. That's pretty typical of my driving scenario too, except I must travel greater distances between shutdowns than you.

I have no clue why your ignition switch would have gone out early like that. First report of that I can recall here at the ROC.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
That G2 RL must be callin' your name. Sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse to trade!
Wont buy one just for the push button start but I am getting use to it on the new CR-V it is nice but issues can come up with those too. Way to many costly electronics on these new vehicles that I care to think about. Im not one for ever buyin extended warranties but did on this one for electronics that carries us out ten years. That old "97" Dodge Ram is still on my mind and kind of regret lettin it go. I didnt have to by the time I got rid of it but could have fixed anything on it cheap.

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts
Yeah. The days of cheap fixes may be behind us. Vehicles are getting more and more complex as time goes on. Pay me now or pay me later.

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somebody dropped the ball and the part for my truck was not delivered last Tuesday, so they reordered it and it came in yesterday afternoon and was headed for the lock shop to be keyed to my keys. I got a call half an hour ago saying they got the ignition switch keyed to my keys, but then asked me if I had a problem getting my truck out of park, for now they cannot get it out of park so think the brake switch failed too. I do not understand this, they said they have never done a failed ignition switch on a ridgeline or seen it happen, now the brake switch? I am wondering if any of this can be related to when they replaced the air bag last November, about 5 months ago. I do not have 54,000 miles on it yet. My garden service is dependant upon having a truck and now I have lost 10 days of work, my job came to a grinding halt when my truck went down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.