Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas - Longtime lurker first time poster, here.

I've had my 07 RTL for a few years and love it. Last spring, I replaced the rear main seal ($$$) due to an oil leak. Now, it's sprung another mysterious leak. Small, but I'm worried nonetheless! What do you think? Nothing on the gearbox - all seems to be on the passenger side of the rear of the engine. No loose filter or drain plug. Is it time to shell out another grand??

I'm planning to put one of the "stop oil leak" oil treatments in there to see what shakes out. While I suspect it wont stop the leak, there seems to be little evidence it will get *worse* because of the treatment and for $12... may as well.

If more pics would help, I'm up to dig a bit more once the snow here stops. That said, I am only equipped for the most basic mechanical tasks (oil, filters, brakes) so I may need some references to locate anything of interest...

Thanks!
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I've got a 2007 RL as well (Just got the TB, Sparkplugs, Valve Adj. today so I feel your $$$ pain). Any way was the original repair warranted? being done less than a year ago? That would be my first stop. How many miles on your RL? At this point, I'd clean it up real good (once you can) to make sure it's coming from where you think it is, and keep an eye on how much oil is leaking. Pretty Ironic that in your pic the "Engine Oil" stamp is pointing to the leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 2007 RL as well (Just got the TB, Sparkplugs, Valve Adj. today so I feel your $$$ pain). Any way the original work was warranted? being done less than a year ago? That would be my first stop. How many miles on your RL? At this point, I'd clean it up real good (once you can) to make sure it's coming from where you think it is, and keep an eye on how much oil is leaking. Pretty Ironic that in your pic the "Engine Oil" stamp is pointing to the leak.
That sounds pricey - no envy here! 140k miles on the truck - probably not even 20k since work was done (would have to check the paperwork). I usually take my stuff to an independent mechanic here in Denver but I dunno if the work is warrantied... It's an interesting consideration.

I did clean it right after I took pics but then (of course) it snowed over night so now everything's gonna be messy. I'll re-clean in the next couple of days once it all melts so I can track it better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My guess is #3 in this diagram, part number 15115-P8A-A01. It's the seal between the oil pump and the main galley in the block. They get hard and start leaking after a while. You have to pull basically the whole passenger side of the engine apart to get the oil pump off, and also drop the exhaust and oil pan, so it's a good time to do the crank seal on that end too, timing belt, VTEC solenoid block seal, all that stuff. You can get all the seals and gaskets in Fel Pro kit TCS46026, and the timing belt and idlers in Gates TCK329, for about $80-$100 in parts depending on vendor, assuming you have a tolerable place to spin wrenches in January.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
When was the last time the crush washer was changed? Could it be leaking there and blowing back?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is #3 in this diagram, part number 15115-P8A-A01. It's the seal between the oil pump and the main galley in the block. They get hard and start leaking after a while. You have to pull basically the whole passenger side of the engine apart to get the oil pump off, and also drop the exhaust and oil pan, so it's a good time to do the crank seal on that end too, timing belt, VTEC solenoid block seal, all that stuff. You can get all the seals and gaskets in Fel Pro kit TCS46026, and the timing belt and idlers in Gates TCK329, for about $80-$100 in parts depending on vendor, assuming you have a tolerable place to spin wrenches in January.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, that's well beyond my ability to tackle in a reasonable amount of time.

When was the last time the crush washer was changed? Could it be leaking there and blowing back?
I suspect it's leaking from somewhere higher than the drain plug since there's oil farther up on the back side of the motor. I change washers every time I pull the oil; I usually get them in bulk because I hate realizing you need one *after* you've got the oil out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, that's well beyond my ability to tackle in a reasonable amount of time.
On the plus side, I've seen an Accord go months of daily driving with that leak. It's messy (parked over a drip pan at home until I had time to tackle it), but doesn't seem to be a reliability issue right away.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

I just had my oil pump seal replaced due to leaking.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Looks to me that the leak might be higher but the bolt you are pointing at is very common to start seaping at high mileage. It has been covered here before somewhere. It is the main cap bolt and goes into the oil so it has thread sealant on it and eventually the thread sealant can dry out etc. I would clean up all the oil as best as you can and get some oil dye to pin point the leak/s. I wouldnt use oil stop leak...it has caused more problems then it cures.

I have that bolt leaking on mine as well, problem is...gotta remove axle to reseal it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey fellas - Longtime lurker first time poster, here.

I've had my 07 RTL for a few years and love it. Last spring, I replaced the rear main seal ($$$) due to an oil leak. Now, it's sprung another mysterious leak. Small, but I'm worried nonetheless! What do you think? Nothing on the gearbox - all seems to be on the passenger side of the rear of the engine. No loose filter or drain plug. Is it time to shell out another grand??

I'm planning to put one of the "stop oil leak" oil treatments in there to see what shakes out. While I suspect it wont stop the leak, there seems to be little evidence it will get worse because of the treatment and for $12... may as well.

If more pics would help, I'm up to dig a bit more once the snow here stops. That said, I am only equipped for the most basic mechanical tasks (oil, filters, brakes) so I may need some references to locate anything of interest...

Thanks!
Jim
Hi Jim,

This is the exact same thing happening ot my Car right now. Was this fixed already? Needed some advise whats needed to be done.

Manny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts