Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I didn't want to hard wire my aftermarket backup camera's mirror/monitor into the truck since I really only need it to line up the hitch for the popup trailer (so I don't put another hole in the bumper). I figured a way to do this so that the camera can be disconnected and stored away when not needed. I came up with the idea of taking an old plug off of an older plug in accessory and rewiring it so that the monitor can be plugged into the power outlet. The lighter plug was actually meant for a 5v accessory (I think it was a Nintendo DS adaptor) so I took it apart and removed the parts that reduced the power from 12v to 5v and wired the negative and positive (and reverse signal wire) to the plug accordingly.

The camera, wireless transmitter and receiver are all hardwired (and hidden away) so all I need to do now is plug the the monitor into the power outlet and the video signal and I'm good to go.

It may not put a rocket into space, but I just thought I'd share this as another option for those people that are looking to install an aftermarket backup camera and monitor. What's nice about this method too is that it minimizes the number of splices into any factory wires and you don't have to go hunting under the dash to get at the reverse backup wire. The way I've got it wired the monitor will always be on as long as it's plugged in and the power outlet is energized.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Great innovative solution to your desire for flexible application.

NOW, if you can just put together a conveniently packaged (box of some kind?) portable wireless camera with battery power, and a universal mount (magnetic or suction cup); you'll have a totally portable unit that you can just put on when you want to do your trailer backing thing... AND it can be moved to any other vehicle you want to use for similar backing-up activity. 'Just a thought. :)

Only downside is that friends might want to borrow it.... :act024:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts