Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I get 28 MPG to 30 MPG with VCM on.
I lost at least 4 mpg [with VCM off]
Strange how some VCM enabled trucks have shakes, vibration and some don't. I cant tell when its on.
Yes, it's strange. Just like most people see a negligble drop in fuel economy (<1 mpg) with all 6 cylinders enabled, whereas you see >4 mpg drop. Or just like most people average 21.5* in their FWD Ridgelines, whereas you average 30 mpg.

It would appear there is a lot of truck-to-truck variation (your truck must run in 3-cylinder mode far more often than others). Either that, or people have different perceptions.

Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

* And as yours is FWD, Honda's testing predicts a 1mpg improvement over AWD, suggesting other folks' FWDs average 21.5 mpg.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
It's funny how this is such a touchy and ongoing topic. It really just comes down to whether you want the engine to run on 6 cylinders all the time, or whether you prefer it to switch to 3-cylinder mode when cruising.

Pros/cons are fairly intuitive. 6-cylinder will be slightly smoother, 3-cylinder will be slightly more fuel efficient. Users can just take their pick.

Almost everyone that has tried sVCM prefers it in 6-cylinder. @millerbl0 seems to be the rare exception that proves the rule!

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
The coolant sensor is "tricked" to max out at 165. The ECU thinks the engine is never warmed up keeping a richer mixture.
I thought the fuel management system only operates in open mode on startup and reverts to closed loop operation when running, where it uses the signal from the O2 sensors rather than ECT sensor to determine fuel/air ratio.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
good explanation. The VCM3 is too complicated to take a chance on a problem. I am leaving mine alone. I don't have any issues
Yes, plenty of people have no issue with not disabling VCM and letting it run on 3 cylinders when it choses.

And of all the many people that have disabled VCM, leaving the engine running on 6 cylinders all the time, there are no reported issues (other than the >4 mpg loss you report with yours). Most others report only a negligible, if any, drop in fuel economy as the down-side and general improvements like smoother shifting, reduced vibration, etc.

The good news is users get to choose which option to go for.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
Most of them had no trouble on VCM 2 not VCM 3. Not enough miles to see yet
There are millions of miles on the current generation VCM in Ridgelines alone. Add in the other Honda V6s (Accords, Pilots, Passports, Odesseys) that have been using VCM-3 for as long ago as 8 years and you have millions of owners with many millions of miles.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
There are millions of miles on the current generation VCM in Ridgelines alone. Add in the other Honda V6s (Accords, Pilots, Passports, Odesseys) that have been using VCM-3 for as long ago as 8 years and you have millions of owners with many millions of miles.
many millions of miles with VCM disabled? dont think so.
Read what I said. There are millions of V6 owners that have current gen VCM. And these cars will have covered billions of miles. Obviously not every owner has a VCM disabling advice fitted.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
Honda's designers acknowledge that whenever VCM operates in 3-cylinder mode, it creates vibration as the engine rocks on its engine mounts. To counteract this, they use Active Control Engine-Mount System (ACM) to prevent this vibration entering the cabin. So you can prevent the excessive vibrations from happening in the first place by disabling VCM. Or rely on the ACM to isolate it from the cabin.

Best case would be to have no excess vibrations (by disabling 3 cylinder mode) and have working ACM.

Honda also implemented Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) to eliminate noise caused by VCM cylinder deactivation in addition to exhaust noise.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I’m not going to argue, I’m exhausted. I don’t really care who leaves it on or turns it off. I just wanted to share my real world experience of a very unhappy new owner to a completely satisfied owner. For me, the truck feels like it should have been from the factory. Transmission shifts excellent and downshifts completely fine, with VCM enabled it ruins the downshifts and vibrates the engine for me. Might be a bad motor mount, but 60k on a motor mount isn’t very much and the engine is buttery smooth without VCM, so I’m leaving it.
You're in the majority here, so don't worry about that :). Of the many Honda V6 owners that have tried sVCM, almost all prefer the engine operating in 6-cylinder mode continuously and keep it installed.

I'm like you - people can decide for themselves if they prefer disabling VCM - if they want to keep the 3 cylinder mode that's fine for them, if not, there are no drawbacks to disabling it (other than negligible drop in mpg).

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
Hee hee, honestly now, if the VCM was really as bad as you are trying to make it out to be, you wouldn't be so exhausted trying to convince the majority of folks who are not experiencing any issues with it at all! ;)
I don't think anyone on this thread is trying to convince others that they should disable VCM. The OP was only asking if there are any adverse effects of disabling VCM and other than a minor mpg drop (which is logical as running on 6 cylinders will use more fuel) there are none reported.

As to the benefits, that's where it is less clear. Earlier VCM implementations certainly could cause issues, but those issues don't appear present in the current generation. However, we know (because Honda states this) that when VCM operates in 3-cylinder mode, it creates excess vibration as the engine rocks on its engine mounts. Honda uses the ACM and ANC systems to suppress these excess vibrations in the cabin and also unlocks the torque converter during the transition to 3-cylinder mode. In addition, several, but not all, people report smoother shifting after disabling VCM.

So owners have two options and they can pick what makes sense to them. No-one is on commission for these products and trying to convince others to buy one, just discussing/answering the OP's questions.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I wouldn't be sure of that. Its a complex system
I thought you were sure of it. You were saying earlier that the system will run rich if you use sVCM. You are the only one stating this and it contradicts all others' experience:
And the fuel trims run rich.
MPG dropped greatly with disabled. I believe because of fuel trim
lost at least 4 mpg
The ECU thinks the engine is never warmed up keeping a richer mixture.
I show richer fuel trims in my scangauge
Disabling VCM does make the engine run richer.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I am saying you cant be sure that its NOT running rich. It IS running rich.
Yep, we've heard you. You are sure it's running rich.

The thing is, you're the only one reporting this and the only one stating your mpg has dropped by "at least 4 mpg" using sVCM. No-one else that uses sVCM (on Ridgeline or other forums) seems to be seeing the same thing you are.

So, I'd conclude there is something wrong with your particular vehicle, not sVCM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts