Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Just a couple of tid-bits of prolly useless information where the VCM seldom comes on when coasting, (like downhill, where I thought it would come on), but add just a soft touch on the accelerator will then kick it on. Also the VCM kicks off when the transmission is providing braking. So apparently the VCM wants the vehicle to be under at least minimum power?

However, just a bit more on the accelerator and the VCM pops off, so it is some-what touchy and operating only in a very narrow band-width.

I have now noticed the VCM coming on into the lower 20's cruising about town.

Again, this is just watching the ScanGauge, there still is no physical sensation of it's operating.

Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Truck is back from the dealership with no issues with VCM or motor mounts. They also performed the transmission software update. I can still feel VCM every time it’s enabled. Feels almost like driving over a rough paved road in the steering wheel, i can also hear the tone in the truck change a little. The biggest issue for me is how it changes the downshifting of the transmission so poorly.

Needless to say, I tried to get it repaired, tried to just deal with it, but I will be reinstalling S-VCM for the smooth operation and downshifting. I’ll update In the future if I experience any issues with it. I honestly don’t see a change in MPG on or off maybe 1mpg but it’s hard to tell if the drives are different or the way I’m driving.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,700 Posts
Do you know what temp it closes? I noticed VCM gals reads the PCM at 165 and with VCM back on the vehicle maintains 189-190 steadily.
The "loop" closes when the heated O2 exhaust sensors become hot enough to send their signal/info to the ECM. Most modern vehicles have electrically heated O2 sensors in order to "close the loop" quickly. I observe "closed loop" within seconds of cold engine start-up. There's no reason for the A/F ratio to be rich/lean just because engine coolant is not at X temp.

Reactions: 911medic

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Just another mostly useless tidbit where the VCM and cruise control appear to be real buddies where the VCM seems to activate more when the CC is engaged?

Bill

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,700 Posts
The few times I used CC (hiway speeds and prior to disabling VCM), I had never observed VCM “ON”. I did notice at low speeds (>30 mph) the slightest push of the accelerator/throttle would disengage VCM (switch from 3 cyl to 6 cyl mode). Since CC is constantly changing throttle position, that may be why I never noticed VCM “ON” the few times I used CC.🤷‍♂️

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I wouldn't be sure of that. Its a complex system
I thought you were sure of it. You were saying earlier that the system will run rich if you use sVCM. You are the only one stating this and it contradicts all others' experience:
And the fuel trims run rich.
MPG dropped greatly with disabled. I believe because of fuel trim
lost at least 4 mpg
The ECU thinks the engine is never warmed up keeping a richer mixture.
I show richer fuel trims in my scangauge
Disabling VCM does make the engine run richer.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I am saying you cant be sure that its NOT running rich. It IS running rich.
Yep, we've heard you. You are sure it's running rich.

The thing is, you're the only one reporting this and the only one stating your mpg has dropped by "at least 4 mpg" using sVCM. No-one else that uses sVCM (on Ridgeline or other forums) seems to be seeing the same thing you are.

So, I'd conclude there is something wrong with your particular vehicle, not sVCM.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Is the VCM the only system affected with the tricking of the engine not reaching operating temperature? The common sense within me is doubtful.
Bill

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,700 Posts
I am saying you cant be sure that its NOT running rich.

It IS running rich.
…..and here I thought the heated O2 sensors “closed” the loop once heated, allowing the motor to run clean/lean. How silly of me.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I’ll have to pay closer attention to the ScanGauge as to how many seconds it takes for “the loop” to switch from “open” to “closed”. A number of variables allow the system to switch back and forth, closed to open/open to closed while driving.

Back to disabling VCM.

201 - 220 of 245 Posts