Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's never been a better time to sell than today.
Yeah, it's locating and buying the replacement that's not so great. I know what I'm getting in 2024, so I really need to buy some time. I don't thing cutting this RL loose and picking up something else is really worth the hassle. But, I'll do a little internet searching tonight... ;)

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,732 Posts
I wasn't aware costing-to-a-stop trans down-shifting was related to VCM. Is it?!

I've owned my 2017 RTLE since new, and have been firmly in the non-disabled VCM camp. I can feel the VCM, but it's subtle, and I never thought I should bother to do anything. Well, now that I'm dealing with torque converter issues at 83k miles, my perspective has changed. I really enjoy this vehicle, but shame on Honda for delivering a turd that will never make my 300k mile target. I no longer plan to keep it long-term and will simply continue routine/preventative maintenance, add the S-VCM to make it as enjoyable as possible for another ~30k miles, then replace it. If the car market wasn't what it is, I'd just sell it today...
I wasn’t aware either about downshifting and VCM………until I read about here and over at the Piloteers forum. All I know is the excessive (to me) engine braking/abrupt downshifting virtually disappeared immediately after installing the VCMTuner II. I can kill the disabler right now by connecting the green wire, but if I do, the downshifting/engine braking will return when coasting to a stop by the time I reach the end of the block.

Most peeps were looking for another vehicle when they bought their Rigi…..doubt that car buying habit, for most, will change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quick web research turned-up $24k offers for my RL. Add to that the cost of replacing the TC and I'm in a price-range where I can't find what I want on a dealer's lot. With much regret, I think I'll just replace the TC, depending on that work's warranty details. And add S-VCM if I keep it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
I wasn't aware costing-to-a-stop trans down-shifting was related to VCM. Is it?!

I've owned my 2017 RTLE since new, and have been firmly in the non-disabled VCM camp. I can feel the VCM, but it's subtle, and I never thought I should bother to do anything. Well, now that I'm dealing with torque converter issues at 83k miles, my perspective has changed. I really enjoy this vehicle, but shame on Honda for delivering a turd that will never make my 300k mile target. I no longer plan to keep it long-term and will simply continue routine/preventative maintenance, add the S-VCM to make it as enjoyable as possible for another ~30k miles, then replace it. If the car market wasn't what it is, I'd just sell it today...
Really makes a huge difference in downshifting with VCM disabled, for whatever reason. I only got my 17 Ridgeline a few months ago and am already thinking of dumping it. I like it, but I don’t love it and the transmission issues have me worried for when the warranty expires.
Id like to see another “transmission failure” thread with results broken up by who has VCM disabled and has transmission failure. I wonder if they’re related.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got a new 2017 RL in July, 2017. Disabled VCM very early on. I over maintained(self) the RL, drove it easily, minimal towing and easy at that. 3 drain and fills with another planned 2-3 days after the transmission failure at 79K miles. VCM wasn’t the blame for my transmission failure, nor was heavy towing not going too fast with the trailer. It just failed in spite of living a charmed life. Driving Hondas and some Acuras since 1975. I loved my ‘17 RL but feel like a jilted lover but have given Honda another chance with a’22 RL. 6K and good so far. I tolerate the deceleration aspect of the 9-sp, but overall like it. I’ll likely change the fluid at ~40 K and do an unheard of valve adjust then. Likely, no more valve adjusts and trans fluid every 40 K.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a new 2017 RL in July, 2017. Disabled VCM very early on. I over maintained(self) the RL, drove it easily, minimal towing and easy at that. 3 drain and fills with another planned 2-3 days before the transmission failure at 79K miles. VCM wasn’t the blame for my transmission failure, nor was heavy towing not going too fast with the trailer. It just failed in spite of living a charmed life. Driving Hondas and some Acuras since 1975. I loved my ‘17 RL but feel like a jilted lover but have given Honda another chance with a’22 RL. 6K and good so far. I tolerate the deceleration aspect of the 9-sp, but overall like it. I’ll likely change the fluid at ~40 K and do an unheard of valve adjust then. Likely, no more valve adjusts and trans fluid every 40 K.
Oh wow, I didn’t realize the 9 speed had the deceleration harshness too. I guess it is related to VCM then. What’s the interval for the valve adjustment? I can’t believe these motors need valve adjustments like a motorcycle, btw. Any idea the cost of having it done?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,158 Posts
I got a new 2017 RL in July, 2017. Disabled VCM very early on. I over maintained(self) the RL, drove it easily, minimal towing and easy at that. 3 drain and fills with another planned 2-3 days before the transmission failure at 79K miles. VCM wasn’t the blame for my transmission failure, nor was heavy towing not going too fast with the trailer. It just failed in spite of living a charmed life. Driving Hondas and some Acuras since 1975. I loved my ‘17 RL but feel like a jilted lover but have given Honda another chance with a’22 RL. 6K and good so far. I tolerate the deceleration aspect of the 9-sp, but overall like it. I’ll likely change the fluid at ~40 K and do an unheard of valve adjust then. Likely, no more valve adjusts and trans fluid every 40 K.
Unless there's a problem, why not do the valve adjustment when the timing belt service is done? That would seem a more prudent time with the engine apart anyway.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,732 Posts
Some will say the exact same thing about the 6 speed deceleration harshness…..then they are surprised after the VCM disabler install.🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Since the Ridgeline is the first automatic I have purchased in my 71 years I am used to gearing down with a manual transmission. I don't consider it harsh at all and kind of like the idea that an auto downshifted on deceleration.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,430 Posts
My 9-speed must be defective - there's no "deceleration harshness". :)
My tranny is defective too. I don't have any deceleration harshness either and never have. I'll make an appointment and have a tech add the harshness back into my tranny.....

Reactions: wjfyfe

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I was watching the ScanGuage while slowing down with our 6-speed for traffic lights and such and yes, the tranny appears to skip second gear when downshifting. But, we are practically stopped when it does downshift into first that we do not actually feel the shift?
Bill

·
Registered
284 Posts
Unless there's a problem, why not do the valve adjustment when the timing belt service is done? That would seem a more prudent time with the engine apart anyway.
And, i agree completely, however. After 47 years of owning Hondas and doing all of my own servicing, tune-ups , valve adjustments, etc, I can count on one hand the number of loose valve clearances (noisy) I’ve had. But, I run out of toes and fingers counting the number of tight valves (quiet/slightly, but likely not noticeable more power). The owner’s manual says to adjust the valves IF they are noisy .
Thats not likely but the other is more likely. And, you wouldn’t know.

Valve seats are so hardened now, that what little they get out would actually be better to attend to at 40-50K miles ; and likely, they’d still be dead on at 100K since they’d be well seated in that 1st 40-50K. I do my own, so I won’t have to pay to have it done.

Reactions: speedlever

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don’t notice and downshifting harshness, but I do notice the slight acceleration while the engine speed synchronizes to the transmission speed as the dog clutch mates.

241 - 258 of 258 Posts