Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 2020's were so late out of the gate AND we are romping with the Rona, how likely is it that there will be a 2021 RL?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I think there will be a 21. The question is how long or short will the 20 run be?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I think there will be a 21. The question is how long or short will the 20 run be?
It's the RL -- Honda doesn't give it much love. My guess is that it will be a low if not the lowest priority for MY 2021 rollout, so my guess is end of December or early January with no significant changes or upgrades...prove me wrong, Honda!

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
Production at all Honda plants resumed on May 11 after seven weeks of no production.

The only 2021 year model Honda so far is the Insight. A couple of weeks ago, the 2021 Pilot was briefly listed on a drop-down selection for owner's manuals, but an error message appeared when selected. This could mean that a carryover 2021 Pilot could go on sale in the coming weeks. If Honda holds to a six-year cycle, an all-new 2022 Pilot could appear in the next nine months or so.

My instincts (which are often wrong) tell me that there will be a carryover 2021 Ridgeline, but the impacts of COVID-19 make the release date less certain. The Santa Cruz and Cybertruck have been delayed and an all-new Colorado and Tacoma are still 2-3 years away. The all-new Frontier has been delayed yet again as well, so a new powertrain in the 15 year-old model will have to do for a while longer. Because of all this, I see little reason for Honda to prioritize an all-new Ridgeline and expect it to continue in its current form through at least the 2022 model year.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Production at all Honda plants resumed on May 11 after seven weeks of no production.

The only 2021 year model Honda so far is the Insight. A couple of weeks ago, the 2021 Pilot was briefly listed on a drop-down selection for owner's manuals, but an error message appeared when selected. This could mean that a carryover 2021 Pilot could go on sale in the coming weeks. If Honda holds to a six-year cycle, an all-new 2022 Pilot could appear in the next nine months or so.

My instincts (which are often wrong) tell me that there will be a carryover 2021 Ridgeline, but the impacts of COVID-19 make the release date less certain. The Santa Cruz and Cybertruck have been delayed and an all-new Colorado and Tacoma are still 2-3 years away. The all-new Frontier has been delayed yet again as well, so a new powertrain in the 15 year-old model will have to do for a while longer. Because of all this, I see little reason for Honda to prioritize an all-new Ridgeline and expect it to continue in its current form through at least the 2022 model year.
Shouldn't we see the next-gen MDX ahead of the next-gen Pilot?

I suspect COVID-19 has pushed a lot of models back a model year. If the next-gen MDX is arriving as a 2021 model, Honda has been pretty tight-lipped about it.

It may end up being:
2022 MDX
2023 Pilot
2024 G3 Ridgeline and/or Passport?
2025 Odyssey

Edit: maybe flip Ody and Ridgeline depending on market trends... Toyota is starting to give the Ody some competition.

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
Good points and yes, I would think so. Images of the next-generation MDX and TLX were found in the RDX's infotainment system last year. The TLX is nearly here and more images of the next MDX were recently found in patent filings. Before COVID-19, it was an almost certainty that the 2021 MDX would be all-new this year - it's on its sixth year model for 2020. But, your predictions may be correct in the days of COVID-19.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Ford has also delayed production of the 2021 F150 until Oct.. I believe they also delayed the new Bronco..

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,398 Posts
I’d wager on a 2021 model. Perhaps Honda will throw customers a small bone and swap out the infotainment system. That shouldn’t kill them.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Like "z", I see a carryover RL through 2022 or 2023, but if Honda ever gets their infotainment act together, a new head unit for the RL would be a logical (and long overdue) upgrade to attract buyers. The bigger question is whether the RL survives for a Gen3 and if so, will Honda continue the niche concept or decide to go after the wider market of pickup buyers.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Like "z", I see a carryover RL through 2022 or 2023, but if Honda ever gets their infotainment act together, a new head unit for the RL would be a logical (and long overdue) upgrade to attract buyers. The bigger question is whether the RL survives for a Gen3 and if so, will Honda continue the niche concept or decide to go after the wider market of pickup buyers.
They would likely have to separate out the infotainment to get me to upgrade. That is, give all vehicle settings, controls, navigation, etc., their own separate screen, and give the radio/mp3/usb/AA/CarPlay its own separate screen and control unit. IOW, make the entertainment portion customer-upgradeable!

And please allow the HVAC system to have its own inclusive set of controls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
...will Honda continue the niche concept or decide to go after the wider market of pickup buyers.
The only reason the Ridgeline is a "niche" vehicle is the styling and lack of aggressive marketing. Make it LOOK the part, and people will largely forget that it is unibody. Honda could own the midsize truck market if they wanted. A midsize truck with a trunk and dual-action tailgate is FAR more useful than one without it.

It needs to LOOK the part, though.

·
Administrator
15,701 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, the 2021 Pilot was briefly listed on a drop-down selection for owner's manuals, but an error message appeared when selected. This could mean that a carryover 2021 Pilot could go on sale in the coming weeks. If Honda holds to a six-year cycle, an all-new 2022 Pilot could appear in the next nine months or so.
Honda released the PDI instructions for the 2021 Pilot to dealers today. An SE trim has been added and we know what that means - an all-new 4th generation 2022 Pilot is coming next year.

I see three possibilities for the Ridgeline:

1. It lives one more model year - 2021 - after which it will be discontinued.
2. It has a short 2021 model year then an all-new 3rd generation 2022 Ridgeline arrives very shortly after the 2022 Pilot.
3. It continues unchanged through the 2022 model year then gets redesigned for 2023.

I don't see the third possibility happening because Honda would have to keep the old stamping presses going just for the Ridgeline*. That happened for the 1st generation, but I don't see that happening now. Remember: The 2017 Ridgeline was approved only because of commonality with the 2016 Pilot.

I don't see the Ridgeline being discontinued given how hot the mid-size truck market is nor do I see Honda surrendering to Hyundai before the Santa Cruz goes on sale.

To me, it makes sense to align the Pilot and Ridgeline given their similarities.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet we'll see an all-new Ridgeline next year.

*But, then there's the Passport which debuted for the 2019 model year. Will it get enter a new generation after only three model years?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Honda released the PDI instructions for the 2021 Pilot to dealers today. An SE trim has been added and we know what that means - an all-new 4th generation 2022 Pilot is coming next year...
But where are the spy shots and speculative web articles for a G4 Pilot coming out in 2021?? What are the chances the MY2021 Pilot will have a long run and the 2022 G4 won't roll out until very late in 2021? In that case, I could see a possible G3 Ridgeline appearing as a MY2023 vehicle late in 2022. But I also think Honda could give up on the Ridgeline after 2021 if sales are just too low to bother with. I still think the wild card is electrification and whether Honda wants a hybrid or electric truck in its line-up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’d wager on a 2021 model. Perhaps Honda will throw customers a small bone and swap out the infotainment system. That shouldn’t kill them.
It’s interesting that the 2020 RL refresh did not get the latest gen Infotainment system used in the Pilot/Passport and Ody. With the new Infotainment system the gauge cluster would also need to change since Honda uses MOST bus technology in the new system. There have been problems with intermittent MOST bus connections on the Pilot, PP and Ody and I don’t think Honda has published a permanent fix for that issue yet. So it could be that Honda did not want the new gauge cluster to migrate to the RL or they backed off due to the MOST bus problems. I own a 2019 Pilot and RL. I haven‘t had any issues with the new Infotainment system, it’s actually very nice. The Pilot’s gauge cluster display is also improved although I prefer the styling in the RL, mostly because of the tachometer implementation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Honda released the PDI instructions for the 2021 Pilot to dealers today. An SE trim has been added and we know what that means - an all-new 4th generation 2022 Pilot is coming next year.

I see three possibilities for the Ridgeline:

1. It lives one more model year - 2021 - after which it will be discontinued.
2. It has a short 2021 model year then an all-new 3rd generation 2022 Ridgeline arrives very shortly after the 2022 Pilot.
3. It continues unchanged through the 2022 model year then gets redesigned for 2023.

I don't see the third possibility happening because Honda would have to keep the old stamping presses going just for the Ridgeline*. That happened for the 1st generation, but I don't see that happening now. Remember: The 2017 Ridgeline was approved only because of commonality with the 2016 Pilot.

I don't see the Ridgeline being discontinued given how hot the mid-size truck market is nor do I see Honda surrendering to Hyundai before the Santa Cruz goes on sale.

To me, it makes sense to align the Pilot and Ridgeline given their similarities.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet we'll see an all-new Ridgeline next year.

*But, then there's the Passport which debuted for the 2019 model year. Will it get enter a new generation after only three model years?
It will be interesting to see what Honda has chosen for the G4 Pilot’s Powertrain. I think the J35 is seeing it’s last days. Will the G4 Pilot will get the 2L turbo with the 10speed? Maybe upper trims will get a V6 turbo but that will probably be reserved for Acura models. Could also see a hybrid option later on in the G4 run. But maybe the J35 9speed lives on in a re-refreshed RL in 2023?

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
The 2.0T w/ 10AT might make a lot of sense, especially from a simplification & evolution standpoint, but the jury is still out on how well it will hold up for towing (IOW, having the turbo spooled up for hours on end).

Ford does not offer their EgoBoost motors in their 250/350 series trucks. Internet conjecture is that this is because those turbo engines weren't meant for commercial duty. OTOH, I haven't heard many horror stories from F150 egoboosts towing camper trailers and the like, other than the early versions.

It is certainly possible that Honda has designed the 2.0T to endure hours of max rpm operation with little ill effect. However, perceptions will remain. The 3.5V6 can endure running at 5000rpm ALL DAY LONG, but most people will cringe at the thought of doing that. Many of us had our formative years with V8 engines running 1500-2000rpm, and that was our normal.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts