Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
2. It has a short 2021 model year then an all-new 3rd generation 2022 Ridgeline arrives very shortly after the 2022 Pilot.
3. It continues unchanged through the 2022 model year then gets redesigned for 2023.
I hope it is either of these two options. But whatever they decide, Honda needs to button this product up. How many man-hours and dollars have been spent diagnosing and repairing the issues of this "line-filler"?

·
Registered
144 Posts
For what its worth. Picked up a 2020RTL-E last week of May. It had just come off the truck. Stamped made May 2020. So, yes factory is up and running again. And dealers are getting vehicles.

Ford does not offer their EgoBoost motors in their 250/350 series trucks. Internet conjecture is that this is because those turbo engines weren't meant for commercial duty. OTOH, I haven't heard many horror stories from F150 egoboosts towing camper trailers and the like, other than the early versions.
I had a 2 liter eco boost engine in my Ford escape. Dealer sold me a bill of goods. "You will have no problem towing". B.S.! The turbo was wound up constantly. Towing MPG was 9mpg, and it burned oil. Remove the trailer, 30mpg. And stopped burning oil. Great vehicle, just not for towing!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
Since the 2020's were so late out of the gate AND we are romping with the Rona, how likely is it that there will be a 2021 RL?
This topic seems a non-starter. Why wouldn't there be?

Question may be how many more 2020s will roll out of the plant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a 2 liter eco boost engine in my Ford escape. Dealer sold me a bill of goods. "You will have no problem towing". B.S.! The turbo was wound up constantly. Towing MPG was 9mpg, and it burned oil. Remove the trailer, 30mpg. And stopped burning oil. Great vehicle, just not for towing!
I have a 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. As far as I'm concerned, "Eco" boost is a lie. I have never approached 30 mpg under any circumstance, best I've ever done was about 26 on a tank. And that was even feathering the throttle and trying to max out the gas mileage on a mostly highway trip. I get an actual mpg of about 18-19 in town, sometimes less. Wouldn't be unhappy with that if it was the size of a Passport/Pilot, but ridiculous for a dinky little SUV. I used to get the same gas mileage out of my old 2015 Ford Edge with the 3.5l V6, and I get similar mpg out of my Ridgeline.

No more 4 banger turbos in an SUV/CUV for me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I believe the 2021 will have the squared-off front like the current Ford or Chevy (and G1) and will have 4 headlights in continuous operation. The bed can be lengthened from 5'8" to 8' by pulling a sliding hidden internal box held in by removable pins. The trunk is now full length because the full sized spare is mounted on the drivers side rear quarter over the hidden gas cap. A 5 gallon "Jerry" can mounts on the passenger side. The 6" lift will be standard as will aggressive 34" tires. "Roo" bars and brush grilles will cover all lights and a ladder will fold down to access the standard roof basket.

It will be V8 powered.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe the 2021 will have the squared-off front like the current Ford or Chevy (and G1) and will have 4 headlights in continuous operation. The bed can be lengthened from 5'8" to 8' by pulling a sliding hidden internal box held in by removable pins. The trunk is now full length because the full sized spare is mounted on the drivers side rear quarter over the hidden gas cap. A 5 gallon "Jerry" can mounts on the passenger side. The 6" lift will be standard as will aggressive 34" tires. "Roo" bars and brush grilles will cover all lights and a ladder will fold down to access the standard roof basket.

It will be V8 powered.
And it will be called the "Ridgedozer."

·
Registered
361 Posts

It will be V8 powered.
......and it’ll be a HEMI, like the tondraaah.😱

·
Registered
131 Posts
Or, "RidgeRaper".
All joking aside, I do wish that some kind of four-wheel air-leveling suspension option was offered, comparable to my friend's Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk. Lift it when you need a little more clearance, lower it when you do not.

·
Registered
969 Posts

It will be V8 powered.
That's all true. But it's gonna have 2 V8s. One in the front and one in the back and no mufflers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. As far as I'm concerned, "Eco" boost is a lie. I have never approached 30 mpg under any circumstance, best I've ever done was about 26 on a tank. And that was even feathering the throttle and trying to max out the gas mileage on a mostly highway trip. I get an actual mpg of about 18-19 in town, sometimes less. Wouldn't be unhappy with that if it was the size of a Passport/Pilot, but ridiculous for a dinky little SUV. I used to get the same gas mileage out of my old 2015 Ford Edge with the 3.5l V6, and I get similar mpg out of my Ridgeline.

No more 4 banger turbos in an SUV/CUV for me.
I think EcoBoost is either Eco or boost but not both. Under light loads, the turbo doesn't spool up much. Not much air, not much fuel. Put your right foot down or hitch up a trailer, and now you need boost, and fuel to go with it. The 2.0 turbo could be interesting in the Ridgeline. A 5000 pound tow rating isn't that much. Less than the new Ranger with the 2.3T.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Admittedly, my total experience with a turbo 4 is in my 2017 Ford Escape. (2.0L EcoBoost) The turbo is like an on/off switch. Power does not come on smoothly at all, unlike in a good V6. Even if it's a little down on HP and torque to a turbo 4, I'd much rather have a V6. Especially if I'm going to keep the vehicle any length of time. A V6 is much less stressed, and I see no gas mileage advantage to a turbo 4 with my style of driving. I honestly got just as good gas mileage out of my 2015 Ford Edge 3.5L V6 AWD than I do this little Escape.

I've read that I can cancel cylinder deactivation on my Ridgeline for about $100, but it honestly hasn't bothered me yet. I don't even notice it. I do think that it's silly. If I was that concerned about MPG, I wouldn't have gotten a truck. But any little trick to game the government's MPG test, regardless of real world results.

How's Honda's little 2-cycle turbo in their CR-V working out? :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Couldn't stand the look of the front end on my 17 RL, traded it in for a 19 PP
I like how more "aggressive" the PP looks over the RL. I think if Honda "toughens" the look of the RL a bit, it will sell a hell of a lot better! A 2.0L 4 banger in the RL will be the final nail in the coffin for it! Truck buyers are not concerned about mpg's. I drove full size pick up's for the longest time and gas consumption never concerned me, it's the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Couldn't stand the look of the front end on my 17 RL, traded it in for a 19 PP
I like how more "aggressive" the PP looks over the RL. I think if Honda "toughens" the look of the RL a bit, it will sell a hell of a lot better! A 2.0L 4 banger in the RL will be the final nail in the coffin for it! Truck buyers are not concerned about mpg's. I drove full size pick up's for the longest time and gas consumption never concerned me, it's the nature of the beast.
Honda will have to WANT to sell more first.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Honda released the PDI instructions for the 2021 Pilot to dealers today. An SE trim has been added and we know what that means - an all-new 4th generation 2022 Pilot is coming next year.

I see three possibilities for the Ridgeline:

1. It lives one more model year - 2021 - after which it will be discontinued.
2. It has a short 2021 model year then an all-new 3rd generation 2022 Ridgeline arrives very shortly after the 2022 Pilot.
3. It continues unchanged through the 2022 model year then gets redesigned for 2023.

I don't see the third possibility happening because Honda would have to keep the old stamping presses going just for the Ridgeline*. That happened for the 1st generation, but I don't see that happening now. Remember: The 2017 Ridgeline was approved only because of commonality with the 2016 Pilot.

I don't see the Ridgeline being discontinued given how hot the mid-size truck market is nor do I see Honda surrendering to Hyundai before the Santa Cruz goes on sale.

To me, it makes sense to align the Pilot and Ridgeline given their similarities.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet we'll see an all-new Ridgeline next year.

*But, then there's the Passport which debuted for the 2019 model year. Will it get enter a new generation after only three model years?
The 2021 Pilot went on sale today.
  • The 6-speed is gone. All trims now come with the ZF 9-speed (and paddle shifters and idle stop)
  • The LX gains dual-zone automatic climate control
  • A Special Edition trim builds on the EX-L
  • The Black Edition is now available in white

21 - 40 of 59 Posts