Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
The 2021 Pilot went on sale today.
  • The 6-speed is gone. All trims now come with the ZF 9-speed (and paddle shifters and idle stop)
  • The LX gains dual-zone automatic climate control
  • A Special Edition trim builds on the EX-L
  • The Black Edition is now available in white
Yay for the Special Edition!

Are there any other Honda/Acura models left that use the AT6?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The next year should be very telling as to Honda's direction for the Pilot Passport and RL.. Anyone know if this will be the end of the 9 speed? Maybe even the V6? Also, no mention about the base radio but I would assume that CarPlay would warrant a bullet point but no mention. IMO they should have aligned the radios, dashboards and headlights across the line.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Yay for the Special Edition!

Are there any other Honda/Acura models left that use the AT6?
No - Pilot was the last one. Not only was this the last application for the Honda 6-speed automatic, but it marks and end of the parallel-shaft design (like a manual). The ZF 9-speed and Honda 10-speed are traditional "planetary" designs.

The next year should be very telling as to Honda's direction for the Pilot Passport and RL.. Anyone know if this will be the end of the 9 speed? Maybe even the V6? Also, no mention about the base radio but I would assume that CarPlay would warrant a bullet point but no mention. IMO they should have aligned the radios, dashboards and headlights across the line.
The press release says "available 8-inch display". The website says the LX has ACP/AA, but lacks the required 8-inch display audio system to support it, so something is wrong. The quantity of incorrect information in Honda's press releases and on their website over the last few years is astonishing.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
No - Pilot was the last one. Not only was this the last application for the Honda 6-speed automatic, but it marks and end of the parallel-shaft design (like a manual). The ZF 9-speed and Honda 10-speed are traditional "planetary" designs.

The press release says "available 8-inch display". The website says the LX has ACP/AA, but lacks the required 8-inch display audio system to support it, so something is wrong. The quantity of incorrect information in Honda's press releases and on their website over the last few years is astonishing.
On the build section on the Honda website it shows a base radio and a 9 speed buttons for a 2021 model.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
I suspect the in-bed audio is what is keeping the legacy infotainment in the Ridgeline.

Given all of Honda's infotainment issues across the board, one would hope that they have a team concentrating on a robust system that they can implement across all models that also keeps most customers happy (like FCA's U-Connect). I just hope that they separate vehicle settings out of the infotainment during this process.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honda just introduced the 2021 Pilot officially (on their website). And sort of just skipping the rest of 2020. 9 speed across all models and new SE with 20" wheels.

I would think 2021 Ridgeline would follow soon (even if it's the same)?

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
One thing I noticed that was odd was that when Honda updated their website for the 2021 Pilot today, they removed all traces of the 2020 Pilot. Normally, they keep the pages for the previous model year up until they sell out. There are still over 20,000 2020 Pilots on dealer lots, but shoppers can no longer read about them on Honda's website.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You have to use the site map to get to previous model years.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Honda just introduced the 2021 Pilot officially (on their website). And sort of just skipping the rest of 2020...I would think 2021 Ridgeline would follow soon (even if it's the same)?
If true, that would be a very short run for the 2020 RL. But COVID has really messed up vehicle manufacturing schedules, so I guess it could force an early end to the production of certain 2020 models. My local dealer says his order sheet from Honda shows no RLs coming to him in the next 3 months, so maybe that's an omen for the 2020 RL?

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
If true, that would be a very short run for the 2020 RL. But COVID has really messed up vehicle manufacturing schedules, so I guess it could force an early end to the production of certain 2020 models. My local dealer says his order sheet from Honda shows no RLs coming to him in the next 3 months, so maybe that's an omen for the 2020 RL?
I checked my three closest Honda dealers. Two have sufficient inventory on the lot with none in transit. One has slightly low inventory and several in transit (RTL-E and Black Edition only).

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
^^^It's hard to know what Honda's plans are with respect to 2020 Ridgeline production, but at this point, nothing would surprise me. I still think the 2021 RL will be a carryover with few if any changes, and I see no reason for Honda to push it out early, but who knows?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only reason to push it out "early" is price/discount. Honda will need discounts on the 2020 models. The 2021 can sit on the lots a bit longer before needing a discount.

Just looking at dealership prices, I see them to be higher than normal, due to lack of inventory I think. There's only 1 new 2020 Sport edition within 300+ miles. No need to give that away. And that's about 6+ dealerships in this circle.

I think dealership may be loosing money overall, but may be making more $$$ per car.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,315 Posts
The only reason to push it out "early" is price/discount. Honda will need discounts on the 2020 models. The 2021 can sit on the lots a bit longer before needing a discount.

Just looking at dealership prices, I see them to be higher than normal, due to lack of inventory I think. There's only 1 new 2020 Sport edition within 300+ miles. No need to give that away. And that's about 6+ dealerships in this circle.
I think dealership may be loosing money overall, but may be making more $$$ per car.
I looked around a 200 mile radius here in the mid south and found prices mostly listed at MSRP, with a few down to $39,500 for the RTL-E. Slim pickings here too in the other trims. Prices were better in April.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Sources are reporting that auto sales didn't tank nearly as much and have recovered more quickly than expected. Manufacturer rebates and low-interest loans were effective at shoring up sales of new vehicles. As a result, new inventory is running a bit low due to production shutdowns and prices are rising as a result. The best deals are likely behind us for now.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Not sure what Honda will do with Ridgeline next year.
I don't see it being discontinued as Sata Cruz is finally about to come out also Ford has something in the pipeline.
This is the hot midsize market they were talking about at introduction of the 2nd Gen Ridgeline.
Remember the episode of Autoline After Hours: The Un- Truck, Truck Honda Ridgeline #331
That was 4 years ago but they said midsize market was going to get hot.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
FCA is back in the game on mid-size trucks. 2022 Ram Dakota

Market research must show the demand is solid. Too strong for Honda to leave now..
That's a click-bait article containing nothing but speculation. Unconfirmed and conflicting rumors of the Dakota's return have been circulating for years. :)

There's still the one big thing that "real truck" owners don't like - the Ridgeline is fundamentally a FWD, unibody vehicle.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts