Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks for the linky

the Ridgeline should also soon be receiving a midlife refresh which will hopefully bring the more "rugged" attitude Gardner mentioned.

Since Gardner only come on in May, I'm guessing "soon" will not be 2021. :(

At least Honda still thinks the RL is worth keeping around.

·
Registered
408 Posts
With people presently leaving large cities in droves (10K per day in NYC alone, and many South Eastern PA folks are moving into WV, Ohio and MD), I would imagine the need for a suburban type truck could be desirable for all these ex-city folks. Honda should exploit this and market directly to them. The housing market is up 250% in N.Central WV already because of this.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the linky

the Ridgeline should also soon be receiving a midlife refresh which will hopefully bring the more "rugged" attitude Gardner mentioned.

Since Gardner only come on in May, I'm guessing "soon" will not be 2021. :(

At least Honda still thinks the RL is worth keeping around.
The 2020 model is the “midlife” refresh for the 2G RL so not sure what the author is talking about. The 3G Pilot was launched in the 2016MY and received a refesh in the 2019MY. The RL lags the Pilot by a model year. The 4G Pilot will probably debut with the 2022MY in May or June of 2021. If the pattern continues, the 3G RL will launch with the 2023MY in the May or June of 2022.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
The 2020 model is the “midlife” refresh for the 2G RL so not sure what the author is talking about. The 3G Pilot was launched in the 2016MY and received a refesh in the 2019MY. The RL lags the Pilot by a model year. The 4G Pilot will probably debut with the 2022MY in May or June of 2021. If the pattern continues, the 3G RL will launch with the 2023MY in the May or June of 2022.
In light of the pandemic, many things have slowed down in the manufacturing world. I wouldn't be surprised if some model introductions got pushed back a year.

With that being said, I would use the MDX as a cue, since it typically precedes the Pilot by one model year, and they have many similarities, particularly in the platform itself. We should see an all-new MDX in 2021, but there has been very little information about when it is coming or what features it may have, which is not a very good sign of it happening soon.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
Honda has confirmed that there will be a 2021 Ridgeline. I expect it to be a carryover of the 2020.

·
Registered
194 Posts
From CarBuzz article today. Maybe there's hope for those who want a bit more off-road capability and perhaps the looks to go with it, although probably not for 2021.

Honda might be feeling a little left out, it seems, filing for a trademark application on the name "Trailsport" as it applies to "[a]utomobiles and automobile structural parts". It doesn't take much imagination to figure out that the moniker is clearly intended for off-road-trail-oriented vehicles, although which one - or ones - is a mystery.

The Honda Passport might make sense as a recipient of a "Trailsport" badge; Honda has taken to marketing the Passport as a "rugged midsize SUV" since the nameplate's reintroduction for 2019, and it has something of a reputation, having previously been employed on Honda's version of the body-on-frame Isuzu Rodeo.

The Passport is also closely related to Honda's Ridgeline pickup truck, which would certainly make sense as a recipient of a "Trailsport" badge as well; smaller, off-road-oriented pickups like the Jeep Gladiator, Ford Ranger FX4, and Colorado ZR2 have proven a hit with enthusiasts, and Honda might want in on the action.

Let the speculation begin.

Article: Honda Could Be Hunting Jeeps With New Trademark

·
Premium Member
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
31 Posts
With the RDX on an Acura exclusive chassis, I wonder if the MDX will be based on it and the Honda vehicles built on their own chassis for the next generation instead of shared like in the past.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
From CarBuzz article today. Maybe there's hope for those who want a bit more off-road capability and perhaps the looks to go with it, although probably not for 2021.

Honda might be feeling a little left out, it seems, filing for a trademark application on the name "Trailsport" as it applies to "[a]utomobiles and automobile structural parts". It doesn't take much imagination to figure out that the moniker is clearly intended for off-road-trail-oriented vehicles, although which one - or ones - is a mystery.

The Honda Passport might make sense as a recipient of a "Trailsport" badge; Honda has taken to marketing the Passport as a "rugged midsize SUV" since the nameplate's reintroduction for 2019, and it has something of a reputation, having previously been employed on Honda's version of the body-on-frame Isuzu Rodeo.

The Passport is also closely related to Honda's Ridgeline pickup truck, which would certainly make sense as a recipient of a "Trailsport" badge as well; smaller, off-road-oriented pickups like the Jeep Gladiator, Ford Ranger FX4, and Colorado ZR2 have proven a hit with enthusiasts, and Honda might want in on the action.

Let the speculation begin.

Article: Honda Could Be Hunting Jeeps With New Trademark
Companies trademark names all the time for a number of different reasons - to fuel speculation, to block a competitor, to sell the rights to use the trademark, etc. Honda previously used the "Trailsport" name for a 90cc motorcycle back in the 1970s.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A more aggressive front end wouldn't hurt. I know they have to look at costs and platform sharing is the norm, but a front more like the first generation RL would be a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
140 Posts
A more aggressive front end wouldn't hurt. I know they have to look at costs and platform sharing is the norm, but a front more like the first generation RL would be a step in the right direction.
No aggressive front ends. I do not judge a truck's capabilities by body and front clip cosmetics. I like the RL the way it is.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
No aggressive front ends. I do not judge a truck's capabilities by body and front clip cosmetics. I like the RL the way it is.
I wouldn't want an aggressive front end, either. I would like it to have more of its own identity. Something like the front clip of the G1 would be nice, and even the Ranger isn't bad.

Something like the Tacoma, though.... that's just too much angry transformer look to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At first I had no idea what they were trying to do with the front end design but in the end, I think the aesthetic works for this truck. I don't think Honda wants to occupy the same mid-size space as Toyota, Ford, GM, FCA, and even Nissan. The Ridgeline should stick with the car-like truck ethos.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't judge a vehicle's capabilities by its looks either. I was a longtime owner of an '06 RL and never liked the looks of the descending angle bed rails, but I still drove it for 8 years.

Honda corrected that with Gen 2, but in the process they wimpified the front end by using the same design as the Pilot. With that in mind, looks are subjective and some like the new front end.

The RL is an excellent vehicle. I may even buy a Gen 2 someday. My comments are made on a macro level, with the idea the RL would then appeal to more pickup buyers. Cheers(y)

·
Registered
79 Posts
If they keep doing this Pilot-with-a-bed construction, which is most likely since everything is built on world architecture now for cheap parts and labor, it'll depend on what the next gen Pilot looks like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I understand they are similar and not the same. Is the Odyssey the "lead" vehicle? Ridgeline depends on the Pilot, which depends on the Odyssey. Is this order correct?

Let's take transmission for example. Ody had the 9ZF first. Then it on the Pilot (higher trim). Now it's across all Pilot and Ridgeline. So we can say Ridgeline will have the 10 speed next?

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
I understand they are similar and not the same. Is the Odyssey the "lead" vehicle? Ridgeline depends on the Pilot, which depends on the Odyssey. Is this order correct?

Let's take transmission for example. Ody had the 9ZF first. Then it on the Pilot (higher trim). Now it's across all Pilot and Ridgeline. So we can say Ridgeline will have the 10 speed next?
The MDX was the "lead" vehicle for the current models.

2014 MDX > 2016 Pilot > 2017 Ridgeline > 2018 Odyssey > 2019 Passport

The 2021 MDX is expected to be all-new, but details have not yet been released.

The Pilot received an SE trim for 2021, so it will likely be all-new for 2022.

The Ridgeline is expected to be a carryover for 2021. The Ridgeline could be all-new for 2022, but it would be very surprising if the 2G lasted only five models years - the 1G hung on for nine model years.

The Odyssey was refreshed for 2021 and there's no SE trim. I wouldn't expect a new Odyssey until 2023.

The Passport could be all-new for 2022 along with the Pilot which would make for a very short generation of only three years.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
IMO, probably the only way we'll see any Ridgeline enhancements before 2023 is if Honda is serious about making their operations more efficient. If they can align the Ridgeline with the Pilot, they can have fewer vendors and contracts for model year-specific parts, which would also increase QA/QC, which appears to be badly needed at the Alabama plant.

If Honda wants to compete against other pickup trucks AT ALL, then there is a chance they could sneak in some non-Pilot updates ahead of the all-new model. This might include, say, an adventure package that utilizes some bits from the Passport, such as a very mild increase in GC, factory skidplates, and perhaps a bolder front fascia (similar to Passport).

If the truck market continues to grow, I would expect Honda to give the Ridgeline a little more of its own sheetmetal to improve its own identity and market share. After all, they got rid of the G1 sail panels because everybody though it wasn't conventional enough, just as most think the current front fascia isn't conventional enough.

I think many would also appreciate the ability to stick another inch or two of tire diameter inside the wheel wells. That would be a nice engineering challenge for Honda. :oops:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
IMO Honda's target is the Telluride. All platform variants will stem from there. Live and die by platform sharing. They all can't be winners. I sure that Honda will be more than happy if the winner is the PIlot.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts