Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm going to predict some form of hybrid/ev utilization in the next RL. That landscape will look quite different come 2023. Maybe a hybrid drivetrain introduced in 2024 using GM tech?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Here is another ev pick up being floated...

Hopefully, hopefully, Honda is aware that the market segment is expanding and they've pretty much set the bar early on. But competition is coming and they need to give Ridgeline some more attention other than use "soft" Pilot sheet metal. They've got to come out with "an attractive" truck this time, one that matches it's abilities.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As much as I think the Santa Cruz is "spot on" on the target market (like the Ridgeline), the lesson they need to learn from Hons is that even thou it does not need to look like a truck, it needs to look like a truck. That El Camino (or Subaru Brat) style does not work today.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Honda posted this on Facialbook, and I thought it was a tease like they did initially for Gen 2. It is not. It is an artistic "interpretation" of the current Gen 2.
JustArt.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
I definitely believe there will be a 2021. Basing my decision on the 3 mules I saw on the roads by my house this past Friday. All wearing Zebra coats but you could definitely see the pickup shape. Threw a small digital camera in the RL so when I see them out again, I can snap a picture. Hard to tell what changes with all that covering on them. The only openings are windows, and some black mesh over the grill for cooling

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
I definitely believe there will be a 2021. Basing my decision on the 3 mules I saw on the roads by my house this past Friday. All wearing Zebra coats but you could definitely see the pickup shape. Threw a small digital camera in the RL so when I see them out again, I can snap a picture. Hard to tell what changes with all that covering on them. The only openings are windows, and some black mesh over the grill for cooling
What made you think they were even Honda's? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but mid-size trucks are starting to multiply just like SUV's, and they have many of the same features and characteristics.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
What made you think they were even Honda's? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but mid-size trucks are starting to multiply just like SUV's, and they have many of the same features and characteristics.
Could be a 2022 Frontier or a Santa Cruz or the forthcoming unibody Ford truck or EVs.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Could be a 2022 Frontier or a Santa Cruz or the forthcoming unibody Ford truck or EVs.
I would vote for it being the Frontier as the styling seems very similar to the Ridgeline, but I will take the OP's word for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I purchased my vehicle last week, the manager told me that Honda was planning on Introducing a newly redesigned Civic for 2021. However, because of the shutdowns this year they decided to delay it until 2022 (they would need to close the factory again for several weeks to change/update the assembly lines).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just in case anyone hasn’t noticed, the mid-size truck segment moves very very slowly, almost glacier-like (here’s looking at you Frontier!) in terms of refreshes and generational changes. Even the Ranger isn’t new. Time will tell how often the Gladiator will see a refresh, but that truck is in a class of its own imo, I don’t think too many people are cross shopping and comparing a Ridgeline to a Gladiator. Not always a bad thing though because buying a 4-6th year of a model hopefully will have a lot of bugs worked out, however will suffer on the latest tech.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Just in case anyone hasn’t noticed, the mid-size truck segment moves very very slowly, almost glacier-like (here’s looking at you Frontier!) in terms of refreshes and generational changes. Even the Ranger isn’t new. Time will tell how often the Gladiator will see a refresh, but that truck is in a class of its own imo, I don’t think too many people are cross shopping and comparing a Ridgeline to a Gladiator. Not always a bad thing though because buying a 4-6th year of a model hopefully will have a lot of bugs worked out, however will suffer on the latest tech.
Here's the thing, though... the current Ridgeline shares SO much with the current Pilot, it would cost Honda more to not update it. What I mean is, when they update the Pilot, they really should update the Ridgeline in order to reduce the variety of parts and pieces that go into each vehicle. If they didn't update the Ridgeline, then they would have to maintain additional vendors, contracts, parts inventories, QA/QC for both vehicles. If, OTOH, they share updated parts and pieces, that means fewer vendors, contracts, parts/pieces and better QA/QC.

In fact, that could be the one big advantage Honda has over other mid-size trucks... they update it every five years instead of every ten years. The other truck makers can't afford to do this until they share more parts across platforms (including the platform!), or until they sell as many as they do the full-size trucks.

Just my random thoughts anyway...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The new Nissan Frontier isn't new. If the all new 3.8L V6 + all new 9 speed auto can fit perfectly under the current (date back to 2005) Frontier, it's the same old truck with a new skin. Oh, wait...new.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
I definitely believe there will be a 2021. Basing my decision on the 3 mules I saw on the roads by my house this past Friday. All wearing Zebra coats but you could definitely see the pickup shape.
Is this what you say?

The new Nissan Frontier isn't new. If the all new 3.8L V6 + all new 9 speed auto can fit perfectly under the current (date back to 2005) Frontier, it's the same old truck with a new skin. Oh, wait...new.
After running for 15 years virtually unchanged from 2005 to 2019 with a 2.5L I4, 4.0L V6, 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, and 5-speed automatic, the Frontier received a new 3.8L engine and 9-speed automatic transmission for 2020 as the sole powertrain. An all-new 2021 Frontier using the engine and transmission introduced for 2020 is expected.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Is this what you say?

After running for 15 years virtually unchanged from 2005 to 2019 with a 2.5L I4, 4.0L V6, 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, and 5-speed automatic, the Frontier received a new 3.8L engine and 9-speed automatic transmission for 2020 as the sole powertrain. An all-new 2021 Frontier using the engine and transmission introduced for 2020 is expected.
That new Frontier looks like a pretty ho-hum "me too" meh mid-size offering. Nissan had a chance to make waves here, but it looks like they're giving us another shade of vanilla flavor in the mid-size market.

The Ridgeline and the Gladiator are the only standouts in the market. The Gladiator looks awesome, but has few redeeming logical qualities. The Ridgeline totally does not look awesome, but has multitudes of redeeming logical qualities to back it up. Guess which one is selling more? Yup, it's the vastly overpriced illogical one!

I think the new Frontier will be sharing frame rails and underpinnings with the Titan. Nissan is already doing this somewhat with the two trucks, but it sounds like there will be even more in common with the two. I also understand the next-gen Tacoma and Tundra will follow the same pattern.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I live a few miles from Honda's North America R&D facility and their test facility. They don't bother covering the H on the wheels of these test vehicles. Saw a few more out yesterday afternoon. Also seeing some full size SUV's around with Acura logo's on the wheels. If they need to stop there are quite a few Honda plants nearby to duck in to and keep public eyes from prying. There is a huge facility that Honda owns called TRC, Transportation Research Center. It is connected to their R&D facility and adjacent to their Accord and CRV/RDX plants. They also do some NSX builds back in the complex. Other manufacturers use TRC but they truck everything in and they even have enclosed/covered areas for unloading and working on vehicles. I would love to get back in there, but it is very isolated and security does not mess around. Here is a link to the Google photo of the complex. Building up top to the right of East Liberty is CRV/MDX plant. East Liberty

Reactions: 14v6 and longboat

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
I live a few miles from Honda's North America R&D facility and their test facility. They don't bother covering the H on the wheels of these test vehicles. Saw a few more out yesterday afternoon. Also seeing some full size SUV's around with Acura logo's on the wheels. If they need to stop there are quite a few Honda plants nearby to duck in to and keep public eyes from prying. There is a huge facility that Honda owns called TRC, Transportation Research Center. It is connected to their R&D facility and adjacent to their Accord and CRV/RDX plants. They also do some NSX builds back in the complex. Other manufacturers use TRC but they truck everything in and they even have enclosed/covered areas for unloading and working on vehicles. I would love to get back in there, but it is very isolated and security does not mess around. Here is a link to the Google photo of the complex. Building up top to the right of East Liberty is CRV/MDX plant. East Liberty
If you are able to get some photos, you will be very popular on the ROC (and maybe elsewhere)!

Of course, Honda reads this forum, so they're now going to double-up on the camo, or test elsewhere. :devilish:

The Acura SUV you're seeing is probably the new MDX. Lots folks would love to see spy shots of that thing.

If Honda truly is running some test mule trucks around, it means they are either

1) actually taking note of the positive truck market and responding quickly and proactively, or

2) getting a jump on 2023 by doing real-world testing well in advance (something that wasn't really done on the current model).

If it was just a hybrid, it wouldn't be camouflaged.

Keep that camera handy and charged!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The only vehicle with minimal camo on it I've seen is the Oddy. Only the nose and rear covered on them. The MDX like the RL was fully cloaked. The wife has seen them more while she is out. I need ask her the roads she is driving and use them as well. I need to adjust my retention on my dash cam as well. I bet I had some video and didn't even bother to check. Time to upgrade that SIM to a larger card.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Ridgeline and the Gladiator are the only standouts in the market. The Gladiator looks awesome, but has few redeeming logical qualities. The Ridgeline totally does not look awesome, but has multitudes of redeeming logical qualities to back it up. Guess which one is selling more? Yup, it's the vastly overpriced illogical one!
Jeep listened to their customers, and got an awesome truck. If Honda listed to their customers, the Ridgeline would look ho-hum and me-too. I guess the point would be be-careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Looking at some of the unverified info the next MDX it says it will get the 2.0T and the 10 Speed. I don't know if not having a V6 to get the 10 speed is a worthwhile trade off. There is a losing trade off these days. The 6 speed would have been nice with paddle shifters, but to get them it requires the 9 speed. I guess that with Chevy most likely going to the 2.7 4 banger and Ford with the 2.3 a RL with a 2.0t will be right in the mix. If they offer the 3.0t in a RL it will be 50k I bet while there are tons of sub 40k f-150's with a 2.7. Curious how the market will react to all of this.or it will just be another yawner.

·
Registered
322 Posts
JJKroch, You should soon see the new Pilot in Pre-production models out testing. Yes we would like pictures of it, as it will share much with the RL.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts