Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have not heard anything about any canopies being produced. Anyone have any new news?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Here's the latest info I got:

Leer.com
Considering making one, engineering looking into it.

SugTop.com
Said they intend to make one, no time table given.

4ARE.com
Last I heard they were working on the molds. Will have one available by late summer most likely. Probably the best bet as they have had some help from Honda.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My my old truck my two issues with a topper were:

1) The double windows between the cab and the topper
2) fogging on the rear window of the topper

Since the RL is unibody there is no flex between the cab and the bed, therefore I hope the toppers that are made will only have a seal between the bed and the cab and not an additional window

I also wouldn't mind seeing an optional defogging grid on the wayback window of the topper...; maybe even a wiper

-w

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks W.

I agree with your thought on the way the canopy should be made. Three sided. Like an old El Camino/Ranchero topper.

The talk about an option to allow the factory key remote to pop the topper open would be very cool as well.

I sure hope they make them level to the cab, without a big hump. I realize the headroom would suffer, but with a five foot bed, it's not like I'd be camping in it! It's for security and keeping my two Great Danes dry! On second thought, just to keep them dry. THEY take care of the security issues! (As long as nobody wises up to the fact they are the equivilent of 300 lbs of Labs bouncing around, ready to play! HAHA) :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Things are looking worse. I just got off the phone with A.R.E & SnugTop and they now say they have no plans to make one. A.R.E. said they couldn't figure out a good way to attach it to the rails. Hopefully they'll figure something out. I can't seem to find a phone number for Leer anymore so I don't know what their status is. :(

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
Can't they make something that can use the brackets for the bed extender?
It's certainly not rocket science. The two plastic bed rails will probably have to be ditched and I see no reason why they can't bolt it on from there. The side panels would have to be removed to get at the underside of the rail but that's a piece a cake. Maybe I'm missing something but I think they need better engineers :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
...or more demand :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shovelhd said:
...or more demand :)
Ya, with only about 15,000 Ridgelines on the road and who knows what percentage would by a shell, probably very low, it's not going to be profitable for a company to research & develope a shell. Sigh, guess we'll just have to wait it out and hope there's more demand.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
At least Honda is starting to market the vehicle to the masses. It's about time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am willing to bet that Honda will come out with one this year. Heck, they ain't a real truck company without a bed cap!

Personally, I got the truck to load pallets, the bed cap will negate my truck so I am waiting for one that is easy to take off. with a 40x48 inch pallet, there only 6 inches of clearance on all sides which is real tight with a lift truck. So I probably can't even use the retrax cover which takes at least 12 inches in the front.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I loaded up a half dozen scrap pallets this week to use as stickers for some composite decking being delivered. They fit perfect. I could not have done this with my Ranger in one trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts