Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own a 2007 Ridgeline, just Ordered my 2017 BE to be delivered end of July (Canada). Canadian model with the extra canuck features.

So, there must be another HAM out there who is exploring how / where to mound the head unit for their radio and antenna. Would love to share experiences.

Regards,

Steve
VE7ORA

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Please keep me posted. I probably won't get my truck for about a year, but will be interested in installing a rig. From the pictures, the open area in front of the gear shift looks rather appetizing. Not sure about the viewing angle for the control head.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Do a search on the forum. I remember a huge thread on HAM Radios.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have an 07 and a 17 on order. I will be moving my antenna bar (might have to modify the length) for the wider bed. And move my mobile APRS and VHF/UHF to the new truck. I used to run the coax thru the rear window. My new RTL won't have one, so I will have to figure out how to run the cox thru. I'll probably end up taking apart the seats and back of the bed to do so, unless someone finds an easier way?

I'm not looking forward to removing all my stuff from the 07. But am looking forward to the new one arriving. 6 week wait left.....

I'm Larry, W1AST

·
Registered
182 Posts
i'm thinking of mounting a yaesu 857d head somewhere and not even sure where to begin with the antenna, hate to say it but i'll prob only use 2m, 440 and 10/11m :) I'm down in 5 land... the hams will know what i'm talking about. and also, the cd player was my first mod. install took about an hour.

·
Registered
105 Posts
PTW.

When I took the test drive on the Gen2, that was one of the things I was looking for in the cabin: Where/how to mount. I didn't see any good options off the bat.

I wasn't thrilled w/ the Gen1 either, but ended up mounting a very small tri-band to the front of the cup-holder, so it still had room to slide forward. Still haven't come up w/ a good answer for the 10M rig.

For antennas, I had a local machine shop cut me some flat aluminum brackets w/ an NMO hole in them. Bolted one to each of the high tiedowns, then ran cable behind the bed wall, and under the back seat. Came out looking very clean. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Larry -

I was going to add a bytronics APRS tracker .. I was worried about the APRS radio interfering with the dual band VHF/UHF -- did you experience any issues .. how did you address?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
As time goes on and the thread expands, please post pictures.

I will be really interested to see the various antenna mounts. That seems to be the biggest challenge to me.

I will be doing 2M- 44O and would like to have the 6/10M capacity as well, but don't want to look like I'm on 11M:D:D

I likely will use the space where the CD Player goes for the control head. Is their space under the seat for the (small) rig?

Any suggestions on power points.

....... questions, questions, questions.

I'm also surprised that, for a fairly small group here, how many are hams.

73's

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed my Icom 5100 and Tiny trac 4/icom2200 in my gen2 RTL-E Basically what I did was bought a 4 ft. by about 12" piece of black shelving from Lowes. It fits perfectly under the back seats, with the lip holding it in place. I then mounted a 4 ft long piece of wire duct (2"x2") along the back edge of the board. I then mounted all the equipment along the top of the board. It does not interfere with the seat operations. I plan on securing it with carpet tape to the floor. In my past experience a tracker blanks out the dual bander when it transmits, but it's only for a second or two. I have a picture but have not figured out how to post it.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I'm used to taking the power to the rig, rather than the rig to the power. New radios with remote heads could change this. I'm wondering if there is a place for the mobile in or near the trunk. If you could pull your power from the feed that goes to the inverter, then you would have a long run for the control head's ribbon cable and a short run for the antenna/ power. Thoughts???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks..still a work in progress. I am hoping to find the "+12vdc" stud near or on the fuse block under the dash. If not then it's through the firewall to the battery. The short term antenna fix is a couple of scrap pieces of metal bolted to each tie down in the front corners of the bed. Then using mag mount antennas. The long term solution is a piece of 4" U channel aluminum bolted across those same tie downs with MNO mounts (hole type), then somehow route the feed lines into the cabin.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Larry -

I was going to add a bytronics APRS tracker .. I was worried about the APRS radio interfering with the dual band VHF/UHF -- did you experience any issues .. how did you address?
I run APRS mobile with a ancient IC-2AT 2 watt HT. Not a lot of power, so it does not interfere with my VHF/UHF repeater activity nor HF mobile activity. If I was running more power, it could be an issue.

I have a 2017 RTL on order and will be xferring my equipment to the new truck. Once I'm installing and have everything mounted, I'll post some pictures of what I did. But hard to imagine where to mount anything without the truck being in the driveway.

I'm hoping for delivery around the end of August / beginning of September. I ordered it a week before Field Day and was told mid-August.

Larry, W1AST

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ran a small HF rig in the ridgeline last night. i plugged it straight into the 12vdc cigarette lighter plug, ran a 1/8" audio cord from the external speaker jack to the aux input, and stuck a mag mount on top. I have an RTL a there was a TON of noise whenever I would cruise. If i was decelerating or had my foot in the throttle then the noise would go away. It helped when it was in D4 also. econ, traction control, a/c, radio, etc had no effect. I think it's either pulse width noise from the fuel injectors or VCM. with all this noise i'll never stick a radio in this truck. For example: I was listening to a local station that was a solid S9, when the noise was present, I could only make out every other word on SSB. I know there are filters and maybe direct wiring it to the battery would help, but i will say my honda CR-V never did this. I sure miss my old vehicle, I know it's gone. If i would have know about all the problems with this ridgeline I would have never bought it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks..still a work in progress. I am hoping to find the "+12vdc" stud near or on the fuse block under the dash. If not then it's through the firewall to the battery. The short term antenna fix is a couple of scrap pieces of metal bolted to each tie down in the front corners of the bed. Then using mag mount antennas. The long term solution is a piece of 4" U channel aluminum bolted across those same tie downs with MNO mounts (hole type), then somehow route the feed lines into the cabin.
I had a nearby stereo shop run a fused line from the battery into the cabin. Those guys do this stuff all the time, so it was quick and easy and clean for what they did. Then I put Anderson Power Poles on the wire and went from there. That's in my 07 Ridge and when the 17 arrives, that's the same way I'll start with getting power into the cabin. 73's and have fun from W1AST

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.