Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 RTL that I bought last year with 37k miles on it. I've been super happy with it with zero issues so far. I have 47k miles on it now.

This summer I'm taking the family on a 3000 mile trip to the beach and back. It occurred to me I should probably change the transmission fluid before we go, so I started looking into the change intervals.

I'll be honest, I've never check the different service codes when the oil changes have been due, I just change the oil when it hits 20% and reset the counter. So I'm not sure if its called for any of the other fluid changes.

Today I ordered the OEM fluids for the transmission, transfer case and differential along with the fluid pumps I need and crush washers.

Am I ok with just going ahead and doing all of these fluid changes, and then continuing to do it on a 30k mile interval? Or is there something else I should do instead?

And I can't seem to find a straight answer online, do I need to change the external transmission fluid filter when I change the fluid? I've found some people saying yes, and others saying its a life time filter.
Do I need to use the OEM filter, or would a Wix or NAPA filter be ok?

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @Lugoismad!

1. Honda eliminated mileage-based service intervals 15 years ago. In order to ensure your vehicle receives the maintenance it needs to last hundreds of thousands of miles without and without unnecessary waste and expense, all maintenance should be performed per the Maintenance Minder. It will prompt you for maintenance based on actual driving conditions once the oil life reached 15%.

2. In order to see what maintenance is due, you must let the oil life reach 15%.

3. It is neither necessary nor harmful to change the transmission fluid filter.

The code for the first differential fluid change generally appears at the oil change interval nearest 15K miles then every 30K miles.

The code for the transmission and transfer fluids generally appears at the oil change intervals nearest 45K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMO, the trans fluid and filter should be changed more often than the recommended interval on this truck. The fluid gets pretty nasty in relatively few miles (see the TSB 17-025 for torque converter judder). The drain plug and filter media are likely to be very full of "stuff" at 47k, I think... mine certainly were when I recently changed the ATF at 53k. I used a new OEM filter.

There's a good video on youtube from a member here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2017 RTL that I bought last year with 37k miles on it. I've been super happy with it with zero issues so far. I have 47k miles on it now.

This summer I'm taking the family on a 3000 mile trip to the beach and back. It occurred to me I should probably change the transmission fluid before we go, so I started looking into the change intervals.

I'll be honest, I've never check the different service codes when the oil changes have been due, I just change the oil when it hits 20% and reset the counter. So I'm not sure if its called for any of the other fluid changes.

Today I ordered the OEM fluids for the transmission, transfer case and differential along with the fluid pumps I need and crush washers.

Am I ok with just going ahead and doing all of these fluid changes, and then continuing to do it on a 30k mile interval? Or is there something else I should do instead?

And I can't seem to find a straight answer online, do I need to change the external transmission fluid filter when I change the fluid? I've found some people saying yes, and others saying its a life time filter.
Do I need to use the OEM filter, or would a Wix or NAPA filter be ok?
Did the previous owner keep service records?

·
Registered
133 Posts
IMO, the trans fluid and filter should be changed more often than the recommended interval on this truck. The fluid gets pretty nasty in relatively few miles (see the TSB 17-025 for torque converter judder). The drain plug and filter media are likely to be very full of "stuff" at 47k, I think... mine certainly were when I recently changed the ATF at 53k. I used a new OEM filter.

There's a good video on youtube from a member here.
Link to video please? I currently have 20k on my truck, first oil change minder popped up around 10k. I assume I'll need/want to do diff and possibly tranny with the next oil change. Oil says around 70% still.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Link to video please? I currently have 20k on my truck, first oil change minder popped up around 10k. I assume I'll need/want to do diff and possibly tranny with the next oil change. Oil says around 70% still.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I would change the Tranny fluid at the very least every 30k no matter what the maint minder says on this truck. Especially so towing and mixed city driving. My fluid at 30k was not the best.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts