Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right subform...

I'm coming from the world of European cars where i've had solutions for dealer hacks or developed solutions such as MB Star (Mecedes), VagCom (VAG), Durametric (Porsche), Vida Dice (Volvo).

Anything similar from Honda other than a high end OBD2 solution?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
You can do the Nav Screen...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5604

This one was mentioned here before also....

When you are in the first GPS screen, press and hold the Map/Guide button. While you have it pressed, the dots representing satellites change to have their respective PRN sat number displayed in the dots.

·
Administrator
16,045 Posts
Heated seat temps in most Hondas (including the Ridgeline) do not rely on closed-loop temperature control. Instead, the temperature is limited by an electromechanical high limit thermostat in the seat heater itself. The quantity of heat produced is determined by a switch that selects one of two circuits in the seat heater with different resistances - "high" and "low".

Anyone can buy the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) hardware and software and perform the same things the dealer can. It's pricey, though.

I think I see where you're going - you probably want an HDS-like, low-to-no-cost aftermarket solution. Me, too! Good luck. I don't know of anyone who has reverse-engineered all the various modules and communication parameters for this application.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heated seat temps in most Hondas (including the Ridgeline) do not rely on closed-loop temperature control. Instead, the temperature is limited by an electromechanical high limit thermostat in the seat heater itself. The quantity of heat produced is determined by a switch that selects one of two circuits in the seat heater with different resistances - "high" and "low".

Anyone can buy the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) hardware and software and perform the same things the dealer can. It's pricey, though.

I think I see where you're going - you probably want an HDS-like, low-to-no-cost aftermarket solution. Me, too! Good luck. I don't know of anyone who has reverse-engineered all the various modules and communication parameters for this application.
From your comments I'll assume there is no china-knock offs rolling around there on the HDS then!

Thought there was a chance...the Volvo Vida Dice knock offs are 100% identical in functionality and build quality. I think this is prob due to the fact the OEM are made there and they are producing the knock offs out the back door. $10K for OEM and now down to $250 for knock offs.

Having the OEM stuff for europeans is a must but between the forums and Honda reliability and simplicity I'm sure a quality OBD2 will get me most of the needs accomplished.

Lastly is there any tricks for SRS other then a dealer?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Not to say someone would not go off and develop their own system. The Chinese are more into anything that results in high volume sales. I don't think the demand is there.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I doubt you'll find what you are seeking, but best likelihood that you will (I'd say still very slim) is to check with the Russians...... look for their posts here & PM them. I really don't remember how much back & forth I've seen from them, but they have sure posted some whacky stuff, including some hair raising mods & stunts.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Good thought! Whacky and gray solutions are often Ruskie specialties. Sometimes very interesting ones at that.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has new or updated info.

I've got an OBD2 scanner that I use with Torque, but I'm looking for a deeper connection than that to test out why I can't use my key fobs with my 07 RTL. Bought a FSM to do some diagnostics, but after checking fuses and basic connections, the only option I've got left is to connect with HDS/HIM. Might be time for a shop!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has new or updated info.

I've got an OBD2 scanner that I use with Torque, but I'm looking for a deeper connection than that to test out why I can't use my key fobs with my 07 RTL. Bought a FSM to do some diagnostics, but after checking fuses and basic connections, the only option I've got left is to connect with HDS/HIM. Might be time for a shop!
Unfortunately I've neither seen nor read about anything other than the HDS for diagnosing that issue. There are a few Key Fob threads, may want to use the search in the upper right side, personally I'd start with the "vB" search and also get started in the 1G subsection of the ROC. You might find a solution to your Key Fob issue.

Also a good idea to post your issue as a new post and fully describe it and what you have attempted to do to resolve it. More eyes, may look at the new post.

Good Luck, YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Unfortunately I've neither seen nor read about anything other than the HDS for diagnosing that issue. There are a few Key Fob threads, may want to use the search in the upper right side, personally I'd start with the "vB" search and also get started in the 1G subsection of the ROC. You might find a solution to your Key Fob issue.

Also a good idea to post your issue as a new post and fully describe it and what you have attempted to do to resolve it. More eyes, may look at the new post.

Good Luck, YMMV
What it comes down to:
OEM's provision ECU/OBD with a series of standard and proprietary PID (parameter identification numbers). The key here is "proprietary". OEMs are free to develop and maintain a library of PIDs specific to their product line.

In Honda's case, some of the most valuable information (like trans fluid and engine oil temps) are hidden from public view in their proprietary library. Other stuff, like what the OP author is after, lives behind that proprietary curtain.

Bluetooth OBD readers are nothing more than a serial profile compliant tap into the transceiver line at the port of every OBD compliant vehicle. The BT adapter itself has no ability to strip or extract PIDs streaming on the serial line - so - from that perspective there is very little difference between the various BT OBD adapters themselves.

Apps (like Torque) contain a standard library of PIDs but none on the proprietary codes. Apps (those I'm familiar with) include an option to build a custom PID not present in the default library. So, the user has the ability to add Honda specific PID's. As long as those custom PID's are provisioned with Honda specific parameters, the user can access them via Torque and BT streamer.

"Professional" ODB tools are expensive because the tool OEM has access to a large library of proprietary PIDs across most - if not all - auto OEM PID's.

So the task at hand for dedicated users of tools like Torque is to find Honda proprietary PID's. I've found some Honda PID info, but they are suspiciously incomplete, missing parameters such as start command, MIN/MAX values, equation and start/stop command syntax. This is low layer coding, living in the ECU/ODB interface. A simple mobile phone and OBD interface is SO tempting but is also risky.

I'd be very cautious with internet available info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts