Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white RTL reserved and is being built in August. A local dealer now has a Silver RTL-T in stock I could get but of course it is about $2200 more. Not really feeling the need to pay that extra for Nav, a touchscreen and LED daytime running lights.

My wife says get it, but I am coming from a non-nav basic Ford F-150. I plan to keep this RL for a long while.

Have any of those who bought an RT, RTS, Sport or RTL have any regrets or have upgrade"itis" wanting the higher models now?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would regret it if I had bought lower than an E. I love all that stuff. Of course it is clear from some posts that this is not true of everyone but if you drive distances on highway and like tech, I would sure suggest an E or BE.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a white RTL reserved and is being built in August. A local dealer now has a Silver RTL-T in stock I could get but of course it is about $2200 more. Not really feeling the need to pay that extra for Nav, a touchscreen and LED daytime running lights.

My wife says get it, but I am coming from a non-nav basic Ford F-150. I plan to keep this RL for a long while.

Have any of those who bought an RT, RTS, Sport or RTL have any regrets or have upgrade"itis" wanting the higher models now?
If you are on the fence about it I would get it.
I had a 2013 Accord EX-L V6 non-Navi (basically an LX Accord with a V6 but whatever) and I regretted everyday not getting the extras. It did not help that after seeing my Accord, both my in-laws and friend bought the same model in Touring trim with all the goodies.

I learned my lesson and got a BE Ridgeline...no regrets.:smile:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got the RTL and never looked back... 2200 plus tax is like 2420 more... And if you finance, then it's even more...
I'm perfectly fine with using the navi on my cell phone... I might get an aftermarket CarPlay radio that plays CDs anyway... I Really need that CD player! Lol...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I regret buying the RTL. Heres what I didn't want going in:

going into it i told myself I didn't want the AWD because of the special fluid that needs to be changed more often, the rear sliding back glass that would invite thiefs and be more costly to repair, especially the power motor, didn't want a sunroof because i had one that leaked, didn't want the extra safety nannies, lane departure, radar cruise control, etc... my girlfriends car has it and i frankly hate it. didn't care about android whatever, or apple car play B.S.

Here's what I want now after owning the vehicle and finding out the hard way, I've owned other hondas and some of this stuff came as standard and pisses me off that honda wants $10k more for these features:

Now I want LED daytime running lights, LED headlights, a car that i can customize how the doors unlock when i put my hand on the handle, customize how the doors lock, customize how the doors lock when i shift from park to drive instead of waiting till i get past 9 MPH. I want a backseat mirror in the eyeglass holder, I want my stereo to connect to my phone AND display/read a text message. I want my mirrors to go down when i put the vehicle in reverse so i don't curb rash a wheel. I want the option to be able to buy black door trim from the black edition or sport, and black badges, etc. why does a sport have all the nice blacked out badges, darker wheels, and no leather option? hell even the sport in canada has ventilated seats, LED DRLs, and a CD player. I had buy and install a CD player. I think the options on these vehicles are all over the map. even the accessorires aren't what they show on hondas website. I bought a sport grille because it was blacked out and had black chrome. I get it home and it's chrome. Add frustration of a hesitation issue and misaligned doors that won't close properly and other minor things that they half-assed before they whipped it out of the plant as fast as they could and I wish i still had my old CR-V that i traded in at this point. I could go on but i think i'll stop here :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a BE and looked at various trims before getting it. I would only have purchased an E or BE after looking at the trucks. The step up in technology and features are well worth it in my opinion. If you do plan on keeping the truck for years, I think you will be very happy with a decision to move up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Truth of the matter is, only you know if you'll regret it. If it's in your budget or close to it, and you think you might like the upgrades, than I would say do it, especially if you are buying.
My wife is leasing a GMC Terrain, she chose a less expensive model and is regretting it, but her attidute is, oh well , I made a mistake but at least it's just a lease.
I bought the Ridgeline, I would be kicking myself if I didn't get all I wanted, but I'm in my vehicle a lot and I try to keep them a long time, so those are also major factors.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went with the sport and love it so far (1000 miles). I like the black and I've covered or removed all of the rear chrome. I'm going to take care of the grille as well. I don't like leather seats and feel that $10,000 will be better spent elsewhere( which will still probably be on the truck) instead of the additional features. The lack of power seats is the main sacrifice that I had to make in this decision, but do not regret it since they will rarely be moved.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Tweaks me a bit to know that Honda will upgrade the 8" system in < 1 yr... Subaru did this to us when we bought their top line first year Outback, improved head unit after year one (because they, like Honda share these units with other models not in their first year)...

With the money you save you could easily put yourself into the top of the line iPhone even a few times, and have no problem getting voice-activated turn by turn directions from that and improved tech... any RL will have a system that will seem quite old in 5 years.

Would be interesting to know how plug-and-play the head units are as an upgrade...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts

If the RTL doesn't have AWD and the RTL-T has AWD, that would be a no-brainer for me if lived in ND.

Or are you going with AWD in either case? (it's an option on either trim). Personally, I like the -T trim features over the stock RTL.. but that's a personal thing.

Reactions: Blueboy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am planning to get the AWD no matter what. They actually do not ship many (if any at all) FWD versions up here in ND. I have never seen one in the Ridge or Pilot as all the ones we have are AWD.

Thanks all for the opinions. I am still slightly on the fence toward the RTL-T, however I know the longer I dawdle, it will be gone. I guess I just keep reading the comments on the touchscreen radio and the fingerprints, need for a screen protector, etc secretly trying to justify not needing it. Funny cause no one comments on the base radio. Maybe it is too low tech to have anything to comment about?

In another thread I was trying to ask users how the base radio works with an iPOD or Bluetooth phone for music, as I only had a chance to try out a USB stick. My experience with the USB was not all that great on the base radio so I was hoping for better news with those other audio sources.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The first one I drove was an RTL. My wife liked it but I didn't. I could not see the back up camera in the base radio unit. I had done a lot of research and knew the T was what I wanted. I had regrets about not getting the features I wanted in the Colorado I traded in. I was not going to make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
567 Posts
RTL-T here.

The E or BE would have had some nice-to-haves but ultimately there hasn't been a single day I've stepped out of my G2 wishing i had a sunroof, heated steering wheel, in bed speakers, rear window, or drive assist tech.. and if i did, well majority of that can be remedied for a tiny fraction of the cost to move up to E or BE.

Honesty, I could have gone Elite but at the time i felt silly just thinking about spending the extra with the bed sound system included, as dumb as that sounds its what turned me away i just couldn't see paying that much extra for it.

Remove the in bed speakers, and i probably would have gone Elite.. what a dumb idea Honda came up with to add so much cost

Looking back, i feel good about the decision i made. :D

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
I felt the RTS was the value buy when I bought in 2008. My impression is the AWD RTL-T is the value buy for 2017. But value has a different meaning for different people.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The first one I drove was an RTL. My wife liked it but I didn't. I could not see the back up camera in the base radio unit. I had done a lot of research and knew the T was what I wanted. I had regrets about not getting the features I wanted in the Colorado I traded in. I was not going to make the same mistake twice.
Agreed. I think I'd be happy with the RTL except for that small back up camera display. Really pisses me off because my Accord has an excellent and large back up camera, same as the RTL-T and up, and my Accord is a base model.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The one I test drove was a T and it was nice but I am old and given how long I kept my G1, I may be dead or unable to drive by the time I would get another one so just decided to get the best (E not BE since the difference there is cosmetic). Why skimp on what may be one's last vehicle?!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just went to the honda canada website and downloaded the brochure. the EX-L is the equivalent of the RTL here in the US. it's cheaper in canada and you get TONS more options... this reeeeeeeeeally pisses me off that they get way more options and we get a base model with leather. Even the LX base model in canada has tons more features , some found on the RTL-T here, not to mention they are ALL All-wheel-drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I, too, had a RTL ordered, but in blue. Then the dealer got a RTL-T AND a RTL-E on the lot in blue. I love driving my RTL-E and although it cost more than I had originally want to spend, I can't imagine driving anything else. I am especially looking forward to the 13 hour drive I have in a couple of weeks because it won't be in my wife's CR-V!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get the best you can afford. I got the RTL-E and don' regret it in the least. I had to have a sliding rear window so it forced me in that trim. I find that I use all the whistle and bells that I thought was useless to me but now I won't by another without them. The BE trim only offers rain sensing windshield wipers as standard. Would like to have that but did not want a black truck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
No sliding rear window on the T is a killer for me. Like you I could really care less about all the fancy stuff and the added cost on the E and BE but I use the rear window pretty regularly on my 07 RTL. With such a short bed the rear window comes in very handy for long items. I really have no idea why it is not standard on all new Ridgelines like it was on previous models.

Reactions: Blueboy
1 - 20 of 39 Posts