Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ridgeline Owners Club.com,

This is my first post...but I've been lurking here for months now.

I just ordered a new RTL-E in Obsidian Blue. Do any of you owners of the 2G version of the Ridgeline have any regrets or completely regret buying the new Ridgeline? I've watched just about every video on YouTube about the new Ridgeline and am convinced that this is the vehicle for me. I'd love to hear some feedback of issues with the new version from owners of it though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Zero regrets. Had mine since October and can't wait to get into it everyday.

There's several threads about issues some owners have. As with any new vehicle, look at it well before accepting it. There's a thread somewhere with a "checklist" to go through.

Mine has had no issues, many with the same experience as me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had trucks all my life and never one as smooth, responsive, comfortable and quiet as this one (RTL). Wish it looked more like a truck and had a bit more ground clearance, but it is fine for the dirt roads I drive on. Setting that aside, my only significant concern is the fact that it has variable cylinder management, but the VCMMuzzler addresses that issue. Would I buy it again? Yes.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I have wanted a RL since the G1 launched but alas, kids drove the need for autos in the first 6 years of starting a family and so I kept the old '98 Accord and '98 F-150 going for a long time as my wife graduated from the Accord, to the Pilot, then to the Odyssey.

When I learned of the G2 last year I immediately watched as many YouTube videos I could over the next several months. I combed this forum and convinced my wife it was time for daddy's upgrade. We had 6 payments left on the van and I had buyers for both the old vehicles.

I had a rather large down payment and was able to get the loan payment down to below the Van's. I was ready to deal.

When I finally bought my BE I had been dealing with two dealers in my area for over a month trying to get them to come down on the price (for trucks they had maxed out with $9k of accessories. I was scouring the websites for all the dealers in my area looking for a 'naked' RL BE. I figured if I really wanted some of that stuff, I could add it later down the road.

I Found a naked RL in Hickory, NC (a dealer I had not been stalking) and immediately called to discuss its status with a great sales guy. I topld him over the phone, sight-unseen, if he promised not to let them add all the extra stuff, I'd pay him $1k over the phone to hold it for me.

The weekend came and we had time to go buy it. That was September. I have never been happier with a new vehicle.

No regrets. I'm as excited to get in and drive this truck as I was the night I drove it home from the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
There are two consistent and one common issue that have been discussed on the ROC about the Gen2. The frustrating eight-inch infotainment system, the rear doors don't open far enough, and an occasional Gen2 with mushy or unpredictable brakes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only have 200 miles on a brand new RTL-E. Honestly, I have zero complaints with the 8-inch touch screen. Hope this holds true for the long run, but I'm wondering if all the complaints came from jitterbug flip phone users?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
No regrets for buying the truck. I look at it two ways (and just "my" opinion)

1) If you need a truck. And want a midsize. This is probably the best answer for 90% of the demo. I don't think it can be beat in the segment (unless you want to go heavy in lifts and Jethro-izing)

2) If you don't need a truck and just looking for something. Still a great choice, but wouldn't be my first stop. But don't misinterpret that as not being good.

Too bad you aren't Canadian. :)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I'm wondering if all the complaints came from jitterbug flip phone users?
Or maybe someone not stuck on only mp3 formats, 10 character RDS/BDS/PAD/PDT, but more into, Out of context voice command, real-time metadata lookup, inline content purchasing, single button route avoidance, multi-active bluetooth connectivity, rural bread crumb trails, HD radio, AM that actually worked, contact profile links and photos, Text dictation that was actually usable, cross-band favorites, sports alerts, traffic/red light POIs, AES alert, mobile lock/start interfacing, bluetooth Carplay (opposed to hard wire carplay)... all of that, and I would actually just settle for a clock position setting that actually worked in the settings.

I won't get into the Android Apps (native Honda or Android), or even the limited car play apps. And the 40 tap syndrome Honda has. Try to do anything in 3 taps or less. Remember it is a DRIVING interface.

I bet you would really like the experience of a more advanced system. But we'll wait until you can wrap your head around something other than Jitterbug "thinking". :) Honda will wait also, obviously.

AH, BUT... this thread is not about the interface. Apologies it is about regrets. Still the answer is no.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Absolutely no regrets with my new RTL-E. I traded in a 2016 Tacoma (which I had a lot of regrets with, which took several months of ownership to make themselves known). The Ridgeline is my first Honda vehicle and I find it everything I expected it to be. As I've mentioned in other posts, the ride and quietness of the cabin is nearly at good as my Lexus RX350. I find everything laid out perfectly for the driver. Very comfortable seats, quality feel to everything in the interior. The upgraded stereo in the RTL-E is very good and I have no complaints with the Navigation system. Don't second guess your decision, I bet you'll like it as much as I do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
First truck I have owned but wanted a G1 when they came out and kept convincing myself I did not really need a truck - that pesky want v. need section of the brain, that more often than not gets overwhelmed by the "need beer" section.
I traded a 2009 Mercedes C350 for my G2 6 months ago. I liked that car a lot and it had zero issues and got down the road well. I bet I was one of the few in the US that had a hitch on it and dragged a dirt bike / road bike around the Eastern US with that sedan.
Girlfriend had always said to me every US houshold needs to have a truck in the fleet - she is from the mid-west.
Zero regrets with the Ridgeline - enjoy driving it everytime I get in it. Not overly impressed with the dealer so far, but can start going to another close by.
Only improvements I would really ask for is a slightly more feel to the brakes - seem strong enough, just do not like the pedal feel, but have gotten use to it. I only notice it now when I get in another vehicle, like a Honda loaner.

PS: Moved to the US early 2001 and now that I have a truck feel more "acclimated" as people here are want to say!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just took delivery of my blue RTL-E on Thursday evening. Had to wait with mild impatience for not quite 2 weeks. The blue is very nice. I washed and did the sun surfaces with Big White High-Temp Paste Wax yesterday. I did see a few blems in the paint ... nothing upsetting.

So far I like it a lot and have no regrets.
A little concern about getting the grey leather dirty and may opt for seat covers.
(what have you all done about this?)

I actually used it as a truck already to haul some patio furniture yesterday :)

After just under a 100 miles in the last 2 days my first impressions are...
it drives like a large kinda sporty luxury car
I like all the electric nannies
not having any issue with the radio although i agree it could use a knob for volume

Considering I paid $30K for the 2006 FJ Cruiser I drove for over 9 years I feel like the RL is a pretty amazing value. The list of items my new truck has for +$8000 more is ridic. Hoping to come to love the RL as much as I did my FJ.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The RL is the first new vehicle I've bought in 25 years. (and before the RL, I drove an F150 for 15 years.). I like to keep my vehicles for a long time, so I spent a lot of time doing my research.

After 2.5 months and 2500 miles on my RTL-E, I have no regrets. I'd buy the exact same vehicle again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
None whatsoever. I bought an RTL AWD. Have about 3,500 miles so far. Only issue I have had is the exhaust header bracket not being bolted properly. Drives great and great on the road. More quiet than my wife's 2013 Pilot EXL AWD and better fuel economy.

I do wish the tailgate was lockable from the factory and that the locks for the accessory box on the side of the bed were more robust and with at least one always hot socket in the cabin and bed.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I traded a Lexus RX350 for my BE & find the RL every bit as comfortable and more fun to drive than the RX. The RL has been very reliable. While there are a couple of improvements I'd like to see (faster infotainment processor, have the screen canted towards the driver a bit, rear doors open wider), I have zero regrets. For my needs & wants the 2G is a fantastic truck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
No regrets on my RTL-E deep scarlet pearl. Went from F-150 Lariat crew which was nice but too big for us. I also loved my former Hondas ( Pilot and Element ). Wish I could get a new Element as a second car but they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No regrets. Coming up on 2000 miles and no issues, really love the truck.

There is no better combo of ride, interior comfort, features, utility and fuel efficiency on the market.

I just saw Elon Musk tweeted the Tesla pickup will be unveiled in 18-24 months. This is probably the only vehicle that could sway me from the RL, but that's a long time from now and a total unknown.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts