Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Ridgeline Owners Club.com,

This is my first post...but I've been lurking here for months now.

I just ordered a new RTL-E in Obsidian Blue. Do any of you owners of the 2G version of the Ridgeline have any regrets or completely regret buying the new Ridgeline? I've watched just about every video on YouTube about the new Ridgeline and am convinced that this is the vehicle for me. I'd love to hear some feedback of issues with the new version from owners of it though.

Thanks!
I've had my 2019 RTL AWD for one year now and only have about 3400 miles on it. Had the dealer do a free oil change and tire rotation (included in the purchase price) a couple weeks ago. In general. I am very pleased with my Ridgeline except for two regrets/problems.

One regret has to do with dealer and my failure to not do a better inspection at purchase. There was undetected paint damage on the roof (white) and exterior passenger door panel (black) and damage to the plastic bedliner when I bought the vehicle. It was dark and raining when I took possession or I might have noticed this damage before driving it away. That night when I got home and parked in the garage, I saw some reddish stains on the bedliner, but figured it was something that would wash off and didn't think much about it for the next several rainy days. When I did get around to trying to wash it off, they turned out to be permanent stains. I still wasn't that concerned. After all it was just a bedliner. A month later I was hauling some chairs and was standing in the bed when I saw the paint damage on the roof for the first time. It was a long nasty reddish streak on my white paint that ran the length of the roof. That was also when I saw a thumb print size stain on the passenger side door panel. This motivated me to go back to the dealer since I now had actual paint damage that was unsightly and could cause it to fail prematurely. The dealer was reluctant to take responsibility because of the elapsed time. After consultation with Honda Corp, they did finally agree to fix the roof paint damage, but not the door panel or bedliner stains. So I see a reminder of that damage every time I look in the bed or walk around to the passenger side door. My son-in-law works at a body shop and thinks the damage was caused by leaking brake fluid. Probably from a vehicle parked above it when it was trucked to the dealer.

The second regret/problem is due to a hood flutter problem. The hood moves upward significantly when encountering strong gusts of wind (like when you meet a semi going highway speeds). I have never seen a hood move like this. The first time I saw it I stopped to check that the hood was latched. I did research here on this forum and found a mention of TSB 17-083 about this issue. Took it to the dealer with a printout of the TSB, and they said they "repaired it" in accordance with the TSB. It seemed to lessen the movement, but did not eliminate it. I have more or less become used to it now, but have been thinking about calling Honda corporate to see if there is more they can do to eliminate the movement entirely. It is not how I like to spend my time, but I should probably pursue it while it is still under warranty.

Other than that, I really like how it drives. I get about 22 mpg combined hwy and city. Keep it on Econ mode all the time. Rides like a dream.

However, these two problems have kind of soured me on Honda in general and the local dealer in particular. I've owned five Honda vehicles, but I just bought a new car after my wife hit a deer and totaled her Civic. It was not a Honda. I bought a Toyota Camry instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have had my 19 BE for 16 months. I love it, but if I could do it again I'd get an RTL AWD and not a BE:

Honda sensing is too crude IMHO to be really worth it
Head unit replacement is much easier with the smaller HU and without sensing
Black looks great when clean and flawless but I would prefer a more forgiving color

The truck as a whole is fantastic and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Just would have taken a different route on the infotainment and color choices.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have had my 19 BE for 16 months. I love it, but if I could do it again I'd get an RTL AWD and not a BE:

Honda sensing is too crude IMHO to be really worth it
Head unit replacement is much easier with the smaller HU and without sensing
Black looks great when clean and flawless but I would prefer a more forgiving color

The truck as a whole is fantastic and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Just would have taken a different route on the infotainment and color choices.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a 2018 RTL and wish that I had bought a T or E model.
I'd really like to have the blind-spot warning.
I also didn't think that I'd miss the moonroof or rear slider, but I'd like those too.
Little things like the non-programmable door locks and lack of LED eyebrow DRL's bother me too.
I was skeptical of the infotainment system since the reviews were bad, but the 5" color radio is really bad, especially with phone integration. I could get a very good replacement system for under $2K.
Finally, there are times that I'd like to have the in-bed speakers.

I'm tempted now to trade up to a 2019 RTL-E.
With the $2K dealer incentive and other discounts, It'd cost me ~$8K to trade in my RTL (10,500 miles, not a blemish) for a RTL-E. Sticker price difference was ~$6,500, so I'd really be losing ~$2K after other fees.

I'm undecided.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a month into owning my 2019 BE and still loving it. We just got back from Carolina Beach which is 4 hours away and drove the BE and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. had the Mother in law in the back seats and she liked the way the back seats sat higher up so she could see out the front. Over all gas mileage was 25.4 MPG so that was really nice since driving in NC the gas tax's are terrible compared to SC where we live. I did not take the BE out on the sand but was really tempted to since there is beach access for vehicles, you have to pay of course, but time never seemed to work out...but next year I'll have the surf rods rigged and ready and it will be a different story. During the trip we had a good bit of rain and that caused the back up sensors to go a little hay wire it seems. As well as the back up camera it stayed blurry and really was not much help, so lesson learned about needing to wipe them off if I'm in a tight spot. My BAK4 cover worked great and kept everything secured and dry and there was no leakage so that was a good thing since the back of the truck was LOADED with the ladies suitcases...I had a duffel bag. Heck we had a washer and dryer so why pack stuff just to change your looks. Anyway the main thing I really like is the Apple car play. Using it with the Waze mapping software was excellent we never used the built in GPS at all. Driving in the rain was excellent and no issues. Windshield wipers preformed as they should. Still getting use to some of the accessories and the location of which buttons to push in the dark. Over all the BE is everything I hoped it would be. As an older guy comfort means a lot to me and it is very comfortable...nuff said.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm a month into owning my 2019 BE and still loving it. We just got back from Carolina Beach which is 4 hours away and drove the BE and thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
Thinking now about trading my 2007 for a 2019 RTL, so nice to hear that you like your new RL so much.

We've stayed twice just below Carolina Beach at Kure Beach and really like it there. Very nice beach, quiet, lots of really good mom-n-pop seafood restaurants. Do you go up there much?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thinking now about trading my 2007 for a 2019 RTL, so nice to hear that you like your new RL so much.

We've stayed twice just below Carolina Beach at Kure Beach and really like it there. Very nice beach, quiet, lots of really good mom-n-pop seafood restaurants. Do you go up there much?
We go up at least once a year. I like to fish and there is one guy I use for off shore and inshore and he is a great guy to fish with. We do hit the local joints like the "shucking shack" and Bomans. We kind of spread ourselves around lol.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We go up at least once a year. I like to fish and there is one guy I use for off shore and inshore and he is a great guy to fish with. We do hit the local joints like the "shucking shack" and Bomans. We kind of spread ourselves around lol.
Awesome to have that to return to each year!

Been to the shucking shack once so far - such a cool joint. Our little grandkids loved the aquarium too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sometimes, I feel it's too wide for a mid-size truck. Sometimes, I feel it's too low for a mid-size truck. Sometimes, I wish it was as moddable as other pick-up trucks. Sometimes, I wish it had torsion bars so you could fine-tune the side-to-side leveling yourself instead of being told "¯\(ツ)/¯ just live with it" if the difference is like an inch of less. Sometimes I wish I would not need to do a lot of things to fix the rear doors. Sometimes, I wish Honda would do something about their clunky infotainment center, which is only bearable because of Carplay/Android Auto.

On the other side, I do love the trunk in the bed and the two-way tailgate -- and HondaCare just paid for a driveshaft replacement after they found it had a leak.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sometimes, I feel it's too wide for a mid-size truck. Sometimes, I feel it's too low for a mid-size truck. Sometimes, I wish it was as moddable as other pick-up trucks. Sometimes, I wish it had torsion bars so you could fine-tune the side-to-side leveling yourself instead of being told "¯\(ツ)/¯ just live with it" if the difference is like an inch of less. Sometimes I wish I would not need to do a lot of things to fix the rear doors. Sometimes, I wish Honda would do something about their clunky infotainment center, which is only bearable because of Carplay/Android Auto.

On the other side, I do love the trunk in the bed and the two-way tailgate -- and HondaCare just paid for a driveshaft replacement after they found it had a leak.
What improves the rear door opening besides replacing the catch with the longer front-door catch (or whatever it's called)?

·
Registered
84 Posts
What improves the rear door opening besides replacing the catch with the longer front-door catch (or whatever it's called)?
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Still feels like a lot since I don't wanna fuck anything up -- I'm not known for my patience and I can be pretty clumsy, so I feel I'm gonna damage some of the tabs or something in the process, even if I've seen the videos.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nothing. All there is to do is to install the new extended catches, at that point you're good to go. About all you could do to the door beyond that is install sound dampening material, which makes no sense to do unless you're overhauling the stereo system with something much nicer.

I mean.............it's a door.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Still feels like a lot since I don't wanna fuck anything up -- I'm not known for my patience and I can be pretty clumsy, so I feel I'm gonna damage some of the tabs or something in the process, even if I've seen the videos.
If you're uncomfortable about doing the mod yourself, take the parts to a trusted body shop or auto customizing shop, along with the youtube link and ask for an estimate. They should be able to do this for no more than an hour of labor. But I agree that it's annoying that the RL comes from the factory with such a limited rear door opening.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah just don't take it to the dealer.

A) they typically wont install incorrect parts (because that's technically what it is --- putting the front parts on the rear)
B) someone reported their dealer ignored A but then charged a whopping $150 PER DOOR

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah just don't take it to the dealer.

A) they typically wont install incorrect parts (because that's technically what it is --- putting the front parts on the rear)
B) someone reported their dealer ignored A but then charged a whopping $150 PER DOOR
Actually, at shop rates, you got off cheap. That $300 would be two hours labor at my dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No regrets here. I downsized from a GMC crew cab Sierra to my 2G RTL-E Ridgeline. While it took some time to adjust back to a mid-size truck, I love it now. The ride is quiet and smooth. I'm enjoying the newer technology and safety features that comes standard on the Ridgeline. The storage trunk is very nice and keeps me from having to mount a tool box across the bed. I can also tow most anything I need to and I'm really loving the fuel economy compared to my full-size truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wife and I took a 2-1/2 week vacation recently. Got a ride to the airport (free); used a limo service to get home (expensive, but much cheaper than parking would have been). Ride home was in a S-class Mercedes (!). Why am I telling you this story? I expected the S-class to be whisper quiet; it was only very slightly quieter than our 2017 RTL-E with 44K miles! I don't have any idea how many miles the Mercedes had (probably a lot), and we have very noisy freeways around here (studded winter tires chew them up), but I was still surprised how close our Ridgeline was in "quietness" to a big Mercedes! So, yes, I'm still loving our Ridgeline after 3 years and 44K miles - still comfortable, quiet, and a dream to drive, and 4' wide plywood fits in the back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might be unpopular opinion here but I do have some regrets. Came from a first gen 2013 Raptor and long bed crew 2013 Frontier before that. Bed size is really lacking, due to height. It does fit most of what I need but the shorter bed walls and lack of a long bed option fills up fast. Engine feels really gutless compared to both (have not done VCMmuzzler yet). Back seat space is better and comfier than the fronty but of course much worse than the Raptor. Thought it would be easier to park and maneuver compared to the Raptor but really doesn't seem like much, only thing is an easier time opening doors once parked.
Road presence is another thing, after driving the Raptor where people give you space, move out of the passing lane and DON'T cut you off, the ridgeline has no presence. I get cut-off much more in this truck.
All in all, I do still love it for what it is. It rides miles better than both trucks, comfier seats, better infotainment, better gas mileage, super quiet. The bed trunk is a lifesaver, but I wish the hinge tailgate opened from both sides, even if that would be hard to design. Also hoping that Honda reliability is still a thing, the Frontier was bulletproof and the Raptor was a basket-case (why i traded it)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
@ArtAuto I actually share your surprise on the Mercedes ride. Been in a few and have been surprised on the noise level and harshness of ride. I suppose "sport" and "handling" may be more the goal which are likely the contributing factors. Of all cars, I would have to say my parents 90's Lincoln town car with air suspension was the smoothest ride I've been in, even at the end of it's life, after three student/new drivers. It really was a land yacht. lol

@killvino Nothing wrong with your opinion! It adds dimension to the field for real life usability of the truck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 2018 RTL and wish that I had bought a T or E model.
I'd really like to have the blind-spot warning.
I also didn't think that I'd miss the moonroof or rear slider, but I'd like those too.
Little things like the non-programmable door locks and lack of LED eyebrow DRL's bother me too.
I was skeptical of the infotainment system since the reviews were bad, but the 5" color radio is really bad, especially with phone integration. I could get a very good replacement system for under $2K.
Finally, there are times that I'd like to have the in-bed speakers.

I'm tempted now to trade up to a 2019 RTL-E.
With the $2K dealer incentive and other discounts, It'd cost me ~$8K to trade in my RTL (10,500 miles, not a blemish) for a RTL-E. Sticker price difference was ~$6,500, so I'd really be losing ~$2K after other fees.

I'm undecided.
I'd go for it if I were in those shoes. I spent my career in the music industry and the audio system in the higher trims is far better if you like it loud. The DLR's look great. The sun-roof/rear window combo is great as cracking the rear window flows nice air with no noise coming from the open sunroof. I think the bed audio is kind of a waste at least for me. I don't tailgate and in most situations others don't want to hear my music. I will use it when washing the thing but that's about it. I'd go for the upgrade, add a rear lock for the tailgate and some kind of tonneau cover and be done with it. Or wait until the 2020's finally appear and maybe do even better but your 2018 will take another little hit so probably a wash.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Might be unpopular opinion here but I do have some regrets. Came from a first gen 2013 Raptor and long bed crew 2013 Frontier before that. Bed size is really lacking, due to height. It does fit most of what I need but the shorter bed walls and lack of a long bed option fills up fast. Engine feels really gutless compared to both (have not done VCMmuzzler yet). Back seat space is better and comfier than the fronty but of course much worse than the Raptor. Thought it would be easier to park and maneuver compared to the Raptor but really doesn't seem like much, only thing is an easier time opening doors once parked.
Road presence is another thing, after driving the Raptor where people give you space, move out of the passing lane and DON'T cut you off, the ridgeline has no presence. I get cut-off much more in this truck.
All in all, I do still love it for what it is. It rides miles better than both trucks, comfier seats, better infotainment, better gas mileage, super quiet. The bed trunk is a lifesaver, but I wish the hinge tailgate opened from both sides, even if that would be hard to design. Also hoping that Honda reliability is still a thing, the Frontier was bulletproof and the Raptor was a basket-case (why i traded it)
Interesting to hear that the Raptor was a problem child. I have a sister in-law who through down 80k for one and it just had another transmission issue. Hard to believe that Ford can't get this right at this price point on a truck that is the number one selling vehicle in the country.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts