Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great Truck, but there are a few things that I think are not worth the extra cost for the RTL-E.

1: The BSI is ok but my previous Honda had lane watch and you get a really wide view of the left side with lane watch. The BSI on the E lights up to warn you there is someone in your left side blind stop but you can clearly see them in the mirror anyway. So lane watch any day over BSI for the left side. The good old stick on spot view mirror works great if not better than BSI on the right side. So lane watch Yes and BSI UUUgh.

2: On board Garmin maps. Why is it even there. The E has Apple & Android car play. Google maps on my android are way easier to use than the Garmin. Try verbally searching an address on the Garmin. It can't understand a word I say and I speak very clearly. I can tell Google maps to take me to the nearest Walmart or whatever and it finds it right away. Try that with the Garmin. I will give the Garmin points for a nicer display however.

3: Truck bed audio system. How useful is this feature really? Althought the 540 watt audio system is awesome!

4: Auto Dimming rear view mirror. I believe this is on the L also but I find it worthless mainly because it don't work in the daytime. Things like early morning sun or bright lights behind you have no effect on the dimming. And you can't manually dim the mirror. At least I haven't figured out how if there is a way.

5: Adaptive cruise control. Great feature on the open road but it becomes annoying otherwise. Some fine tuning is in order and I'm sure Honda is working on it.

6: Honda link. Need I say more?

7: This issue is on all Ridgelines. The rear doors don't open near far enough. However there is a fix but it's at the owners expense.

Never the less I do still consider the Ridgeline by far the best midsize truck on the market and even though all isn't perfect (in my opinion) the good by far out weighs the bad.

Oh one more thing while I'm venting. Honda please bring back the volume control knob in all of you vehicles!!!!!!
I addressed all of these issues except number seven by buying a RT model. I didn’t want to deal with all of the electronic issues that I had read about. And I got a volume knob! 😁

Took 30 minutes to get those rear doors fixed. Ha ha all is good

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hard to believe I hace 90K miles on my '17 E. I still look foward to driving it every day! I still love all the options the E has! I still love the comfort of the ride! My dogs still love it too! It hauls and tows what I need. No problems! What's not to love? Perfict for me!!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
They have [brought back the volume knob]. The upper Ridgeline trims remain the sole exception. :)
There must be a reason for this but we may never know what it was. It's tempting to think they haven't yet got all the bugs worked out of the new display and infotainment systems in the Pilot and Passport and didn't want to mess with those issues in the 2020 RL. Or else they just didn't want to spend the money to redesign the RL's dash. But are they really going to keep the 2016 display and infotainment system until Gen3? One of the car mag posts I read about the 2020 RL rollout was that the current system already felt dated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One of the car mag posts I read about the 2020 RL rollout was that the current system already felt dated.
That's because it quite literally IS. The system is Android 4.4 KitKat, produced in October 2013. This complete infotainment system is likely almost 5 years old.

They might as well have just installed a BOSS brand $50 special @ Best Buy.

Unfortunately for folks that have -E and -BE models, the only realistic solution that doesn't present a bunch of headaches is going to be upgrading to whatever next radio they release, assuming they indeed do for this current gen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No regrets on my 2017 except I absolutely cant stand that my rear window does not open. Was thinking about upgrading in 2020. But after reading the changes mainly the transmission I do not want a 2020. Might be to late for me to track down a 2019 which I am in the process of now .

·
Registered
538 Posts
No regrets on my 2017 except I absolutely cant stand that my rear window does not open. Was thinking about upgrading in 2020. But after reading the changes mainly the transmission I do not want a 2020. Might be to late for me to track down a 2019 which I am in the process of now .
I test drove a used 2017 RTL and was sadly surprised that it had no opening rear window. At that time - maybe early September? - I was unaware that the new 2019 prices were going to compete with the used truck prices. Was then happily surprised that the 2019 RTL had the opening window, and the rest of the RTL trim level was just about what I wanted, so kind of a no-brainer. What trim level of 2019 are you hoping to find?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I test drove a used 2017 RTL and was sadly surprised that it had no opening rear window. At that time - maybe early September? - I was unaware that the new 2019 prices were going to compete with the used truck prices. Was then happily surprised that the 2019 RTL had the opening window, and the rest of the RTL trim level was just about what I wanted, so kind of a no-brainer. What trim level of 2019 are you hoping to find?
I have a RTL-T fwd now would like to stick with it but if I need to go to a RTL I will . From what I see even RTL-T 2019 still does not have a window.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a RTL-T fwd now would like to stick with it but if I need to go to a RTL I will . From what I see even RTL-T 2019 still does not have a window.
The 2019 RTL does have a rear sliding window as well as a sunroof (so did the RTL-T).
I had a 2018 RTL, which did not have either. After owning the truck for a bit, I realized that I did want those two things, as well as some other features. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the deals available in November for 2019 RL's, and bought a 2019 RTL-E for $34,888 before I mentioned a trade, and I got top of KBB for my 2018.

If I was to buy a 2020, I'd probably go for the RTL, and add the heated steering wheel (great here in the northeast).
The 8" touchscreen is fine, all of the negative reviews scared me off with my 2018, but really it's fine. The 2020 RTL doesn't have navigation, but who needs it, Carplay & an iPhone work great. The blind-spot & parking sensors are nice, as is the in-bed audio, but probably not worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 2019 RTL does have a rear sliding window as well as a sunroof (so dod the RTL-T).
I had a 2018 RTL, which did not have either. After owning the truck for a bit, I realized that I did want those two things, as well as some other features. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the deals available in November for 2019 RL's, and bought a 2019 RTL-E for $34,888 before I mentioned a trade, and I got top of KBB for my 2018.

If I was to buy a 2020, I'd probably go for the RTL, and add the heated steering wheel (great here in the northeast).
The 8" touchscreen is fine, all of the negative reviews scared me off with my 2018, but really it's fine. The 2020 RTL doesn't have navigation, but who needs it, Carplay & an iPhone work great. The blind-spot & parking sensors are nice, as is the in-bed audio, but probably not worth the extra $$$.
I could go without the sunroof. I live in the desert and would rather not have the sun pounding down on me through the roof. Wonder why they do not give us the option ? From what I see inventory in So CAL for 2019 RTL and RTL-T s are low (no surprise there) I would of started looking earlier if the conversation changes for the 2020 would of come up sooner. I would rather have new but maybe wait a bit and buy a low low millage 2019 used . Heck I only have 13160 on my 2017 so getting a used one might be the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could go without the sunroof. I live in the desert and would rather not have the sun pounding down on me through the roof. Wonder why they do not give us the option ? From what I see inventory in So CAL for 2019 RTL and RTL-T s are low (no surprise there) I would of started looking earlier if the conversation changes for the 2020 would of come up sooner. I would rather have new but maybe wait a bit and buy a low low millage 2019 used . Heck I only have 13160 on my 2017 so getting a used one might be the way to go.
loosaloo it has a sliding cover that matches the inside roof liner so the sun is not coming through the sunroof with that cover closed. It is pretty thick and have not noticed heat coming through the sunroof with that closed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah man, I have regrets... My wallet is not happy with me right now.
Close, but I think the differences are discernible. Definitely a wider back door
Honda has stated that 73% of the Gen2 Ridgeline's components remain common in some way with the third–generation Pilot. As opposed to the first generation Ridgeline which had 7% components similar to other Honda vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We upgraded from a 2005 CRV, needed the extra hauling capacity. Got out 2017 in 2018, it had an excellent Carfax and maintenance record. Got the RTL-E model since we tend to hang on to cars a long time and it was time go get one with the bells and whistles (and advanced safety features). This is our third Honda, have always had good luck. Since we were buying it about 18 months after introduction was able to do lots of research on this board and others for potential problems, recalls etc, and did not see anything that scared us away. Also have a couple of friends that are used car dealers and they gave it good marks too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my 2018 RTL-E, obsidian Blue, for two years now and have 33,400 miles on it. It used a little oil during the first 5000 miles, but has not used any since. I have not had a single problem with it and love driving it. I was one of those people who said I would never have a pickup, and here I am. I have done the rear door mod (easy), and have put new Michelin Defender tires on (original size).

241 - 258 of 258 Posts