Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Had mine since late Oct. 2016; ~6500 miles. If someone steals it tonight I'll order the exact same RTL-E tomorrow with the same accessories except for wheel locks, as they seem unnecessary, and the front Honda all weather mats, poor coverage compared to WeatherTech.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Zero regrets. Had mine since October and can't wait to get into it everyday.

There's several threads about issues some owners have. As with any new vehicle, look at it well before accepting it. There's a thread somewhere with a "checklist" to go through.

Mine has had no issues, many with the same experience as me.
Agreed I love it !! cant wait to drive it everyday

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have had mine since February 10th and 1500 miles, and I have zero regrets. I have the same opinion as PETDOC, if something happened to it tomorrow I would get the same vehicle without a second thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have zero regrets. Prior to purchasing my RL, I combed the RL Forum to see what people liked and didn't like about 2G, so I was armed to check things out for myself. Some thought the console was too large, and limited space for the third rear-seat passenger in the middle. Yes, it is a little tighter, but adequate (I'm 6', 215). For me, the cavernous console is worth that trade off. I find no problem in buckling my seat belt. The arrests are narrow, but fulfill their function perfectly. I love that they adjust, and easily. I saw the complaints about no volume knob, complexity of the infotainment system, etc. To me, it's like anything else. You have to learn it and get use to it. So this is my first RL, and I couldn't be more pleased with its killer ride on the road, and its functional practicality highlighted by the trunk and dual-action tailgate. As one of the posters said, it won't tow 30K lbs, but I don't ever plan to tow 30K pounds. The RL's capacity is good for 95% of any towing or pickup requirements I can foresee, and it rides like a dream in between.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had a 1st generation RL and I absolutely loved it. I always say it was the most well thought out and most capable/useful vehicle I have ever owned.

With that said I will not be getting a 2nd generation RL because I cannot get over the looks. Sure the first gen was kinda weird looking but at least it didn't look like a minivan with the back chopped off. I hate that I can't get past it but that's how I feel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 1st generation RL and I absolutely loved it. I always say it was the most well thought out and most capable/useful vehicle I have ever owned.

With that said I will not be getting a 2nd generation RL because I cannot get over the looks. Sure the first gen was kinda weird looking but at lease it didn't look like a minivan with the back chopped off. I hate that I can't get past it but that's how I feel.
I can't say I disagree. It took me some time to get over the looks. I really believe the G1 is something special. It's very unique, in a good way. Even more so than the G2. Incidentally, I was planning on getting a Tacoma Limited or a loaded GMC Canyon SLT or Denali. Then, I realized that I spend way more time inside it than I do looking at it from the outside. Now it has grown on me and I actually feel some pity towards those with Tacoma's.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I can't say I disagree. It took me some time to get over the looks. I really believe the G1 is something special.
The G1 was something special. Honda created a completely new market with the truck, appealing as a family vehicle with utility. Front wheel drive; not done before (not counting BRAT size). AWD, not done. Car like cabin storage; top marks again. Trunk? Unheard of. Two way tailgate? Again, only seen previously on some station wagons.

When designing the G2, all the shock and awe of innovative ideas wasn't available. They had to improve on the things they've already brought to market. They did that by listening to the criticisms of the G1 and worked them out of the design.

One of the biggest criticisms was design. Owners called that sign profile unique. Non-owners called it boxy and ugly. I personally found it inconvenient, especially trying to get something out of the front of the box from the side, because the sides were so high. Sales numbers also told them market went for the more traditional truck shape in the GM twins, Taco, etc.

So they refined the look. I could never be accused of loving the design of the G1, but it grew on me. I appreciated the little changes they made over the years to the front end design, getting rid of that big wall look, adding things like lower lights, grille changes etc.

My first impression when I saw media releases of the G2 was "they broke it". Honda lost its unique look. It looks too much like other trucks now. And yes, the front end looks car like. But like other manufacturers, Honda has moved more to brand identification across its line.

I've always been a simple person on my cars, nothing special. When I was picking out my G1 I was dealing on the low end model. After thinking about it a few days I realized I missed the openess of the glass roof of an old T-top car. Heated seats would be nice. It's only a few thousand dollars and there is more chance I would kick myself for not upgrading than for upgrading. I called the dealer and had him going when I told him the deal was off. His tune changed when I told him I instead wanted the upper model, EX_L, but without navi (on his recommendation).

Six years and I never did kick myself over buying the G1 or going for the upscale model. When it came to the G2, there was never any question. It was top of the line or nothing. The only thing that kept me from the BE was I had already determined my next vehicle would not be dark in color.

Regrets? Not one. Are there things I wish Honda had done differently? You bet, but I realized those before signing on the bottom line and decided none of them were big enough to be deal breakers. Besides, I had no number two choice to turn to if I didn't buy another Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
No regrets from me, either. I absolutely love my RTL-E. So does my girlfriend. I just wish that it had ventilated front seats like the Canadians get.

The only regret that I have right now is that I did not catch the guy who dinged my new truck already! (Parking lot door ding.) The first one always hurts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My take is exactly the opposite of the question. I should have bought one sooner and honestly it simply gets better and better with each passing day as I become more familiar with all the goodies and actually experience how well it does in various conditions, effortless comes to mind. Real winter conditions with good winter tires on this thing is like nothing I have ever experienced and I have had several 4wd and AWD vehicles over the years. Kudos to Honda on this marvel of engineering.

·
Registered
741 Posts
With that said I will not be getting a 2nd generation RL because I cannot get over the looks. Sure the first gen was kinda weird looking but at lease it didn't look like a minivan with the back chopped off. I hate that I can't get past it but that's how I feel.
Have you really looked at the two side-by-side? There are design cues that are similar, but the 2 vehicles are nothing alike (save from common-shared underpinnings... but then again, so does the Accord). The Odyssey's hood slants aggressively down like every other minivan, while the RL's is pretty parallel to the ground, like all other trucks on the road. Honestly, the only design cues that the two have anywhere in common is the swept-back headlight cluster.... oh, and the signature "H" in the middle of the grille.

SMH

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think he meant the Honda Pilot comparison. Then again what differance does it actually make if the platform is solid and well designed. I happen to be shopping a new 2018 Audi Q5, same frame as the A4 sedan.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think he meant the Honda Pilot comparison. Then again what differance does it actually make if the platform is solid and well designed. I happen to be shopping a new 2018 Audi Q5, same frame as the A4 sedan.

Agreed when it comes to using a multi-use platform. Heck, the one you're talking about is the VW MQB platform... used on all things from the Golf on up to the new Atlas, as well as almost every Audi line. ;-)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
WOW!!! What an active forum. I was only gone for a day.

Like others, I have watched just about every video on YouTube that has Ridgeline in the title. I've driven one twice now and pretty much had my mind made up, but wanted to hear owners opinions. The one big mod I want to do is give the front end a 2" lift and the rear a 1", just to even out the forward cant. I won't be towing anything heavy, so I'm not worried about the back getting pulled down.

I primarily want the RL to haul around my and my friends mt. bikes (because they've been driving ever since I got my Subaru BRZ) and I knew I didn't want a typical truck. As a matter of fact, I was going to get a Subaru WRX and a bike rack until my uncle said that Honda had released a new Ridgeline. I always thought the G1 was an interesting vehicle and after a bunch of research, I realized that I wanted to test drive the G2. So glad I did!

Thanks for all the feedback guys and gals!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I meant more of a generality than a specific minivan.

They're amazing vehicles and I'm sure I'd be happy with one. It was down between the Colorado and the Ridgeline and I decided on a Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Close, but I think the differences are discernible. Definitely a wider back door
LOL @ wider back door. haha. If a minivan nose is required for me to be able to see the car in front of me, (only see the ridges of the hood as is) and a cut off minivan back is required to not smell the small livestock/dirt/poo being hauled, then a minivan with a bed is what I was looking for. LOL

·
Registered
741 Posts
I meant more of a generality than a specific minivan.

They're amazing vehicles and I'm sure I'd be happy with one. It was down between the Colorado and the Ridgeline and I decided on a Wrangler.
So what you're saying it wasn't even between the RL and the Colorado at all?!?! LOL!!

I too looked at the Colorado/Canyon twins, the Taco and gave a .5 millisecond thought about the Frontier, but when it came down to it, the RL won out on so many things that I needed... a full-size (or close to it) interior to fit 4-5 comfortably (the Colo/Canyons back seats SUCK and are small), a tow-capacity around 5K (up from the 4500 I had in my Cherokee Trailhawk) to tow our 22' boat, and a comfortable ride w/ decent gas mileage. The competition in this segment couldn't stack up to the RL for my personal needs. I was a bit hesitant w/ the FWD layout, but since the AWD versions are all-time AWD, I don't feel like I've given up any RWD pros... and since my Cherokee's "4x4" system was one that would cut the power to the rear wheels and be FWD only for most driving conditions, the RL's driveline wasn't a big deal for me. Nor was the idea of having a "unibody" truck... since my last 3 SUV's have all been unibody construction (Cherokee, Edge and Sorrento). Having a unibody truck has only given me a vehicle that is versatile enough to haul almost 1600 lbs, tow 5000 lbs and corner w/ VERY minimal body flex or fear of feeling top-heavy... something NO OTHER "truck" can do. :)

BTW... Just giving you a hard time. I just have to laugh at those who continue to compare the RL to a minivan or even the Pilot. There are enough differences to differentiate every single one. Like I said above, the RL, Pilot AND Odyssey all ride on the same platform that the Accord does.

I also find it funny to those who think you have to have a "body on frame" vehicle to be a true off-roader... apparently, they haven't heard of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, before! :wink: Trust me, I know it's not as capable as a Wrangler, but I've also never heard anyone say it wasn't "off-road capable" like the RL gets bashed on, either. Just saying!
:grin:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
...Like I said above, the RL, Pilot AND Odyssey all ride on the same platform that the Accord does...
Yes, but "platform" has evolved into a vague term with variable meaning among different car makers. Even when comparing the "underpinnings" of closely-related vehicles such as the RL and Pilot, you will find significant differences in wheelbase and structural reinforcements throughout the unibody construction. If you strip the skin off a Pilot, it will not look like this:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 258 Posts