Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. I'm considering a Ridgeline in the near future, possibly before the year end. I would consider waiting for the 07 model if there are significant changes planned. Does anyone know of any? I have read that a few problem have been corrected in those made after 9/05. Anymore planned updates before the 07s arrive, and when would that be anyways? I've lurked here for a few weeks now and get the feeling that tis is one loved truck. Thanks to all for your replies.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I'm completely out of the loop, but I'm guessing new features will be a closely guarded secret until they are unveiled. They wouldn't want to undermine the sales rates of the '06.

Have you done a test drive yet? Fire away with your questions.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Truckin' said:
I'm completely out of the loop, but I'm guessing new features will be a closely guarded secret until they are unveiled. They wouldn't want to undermine the sales rates of the '06.
Agree completely (Truckin', you're gonna start thinking I'm sucking up to you for agreeing with you so much, but I'm not, really! :D).

The nice thing is that Honda has been fixing problems as they've been manufacturing the '06 models. It's not so great for the early adopters, as getting their RLs fixed always involves one or more trips to the dealers -- I'm sure the early adopters on this forum, and their diligence about finding and fixing the problems with the truck, have helped the RL's later deliveries be much smoother.

And on that note, I want to formally thank all of the early adopters -- if I'd known about the truck sooner, I would've jumped on board with the rest of you, but apparently I was living under a rock until July! :)

BTW, tothfixr, I would say your best bet would be to get a late-model '06 (check the driver's door jamb for the production date), maybe even waiting for the '07s to come out (although I wouldn't have been able to wait that long... that's probably over a month! :eek: ). You'll probably get a really great deal on the '06 if you're able to make it that long...

Good luck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You probably won't see any 2007's until next fall. Honda will have an extended model year with the 06, just like they did when the Pilot was released.

·
Registered
626 Posts
WhiteRTLnav said:
You probably won't see any 2007's until next fall. Honda will have an extended model year with the 06, just like they did when the Pilot was released.
Yeah, you're right, I'm a twit! I saw a commercial yesterday for some end-of-year clearance and realized that it's the '06s coming out this fall, not the '07s. Doh!

So, let me amend my suggestion to the OP -- buy now, and try to get a 9/05 production model. Do you really want to wait a whole year?? :D

--
OP: Original Poster

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd read somewhere that Honda wasn't planning on making any Ridgeline changes for the '07 model year.

Then again, based on the latest sales figures, they may change their mind and change the price. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sales are slow now and typically pick up in the spring (on everything), so I'd think you'd get a better deal now. That's just my opinion.
I'm really glad I got mine when I did. There was one problem to correct and my dealer handled it like a pro and that's what counts. All manufacturers make mistakes, it's the ones that handle them the right way that'll earn my business and why the general lost it.;)

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I was originally told that there will be only minor changes to the 2007 Ridgeline... some upgrades to the electronics, etc., but now I'm told that Honda is not happy at all with the Ridgeline launch and has pulled money out of the project. This will probably result in only very minor changes to the 2007 model.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but there are apparently some re-evaluating going on regarding the Ridgeline. Whatever it is it doesn't sound good. Honda doesn't usually make quick decisions.

All of this is just industry talk... in an industry in major turmoil right now. Everyone seems to be trying to figure out long term strategy in a time when the market swings are wild on the short term.

These are interesting times!

-Joe

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
csimo,

Is this sounding like early demise of a product in your opinion or just a long term directional adjustment? The Ridgeline is a great product that was dropped on the market at exactly the wrong time. Between gas prices going through the roof and insane employee pricing, the Ridgeline couldn't have hit a more competitive and poor market for trucks. They have to know that as well and see that the press and the owners of these trucks have been very pleased with the performance and features of the truck. Unfortunately sometimes even the best business minded individuals make moves that are rash and unnecessary to make short term numbers look good.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
captmiddy said:
csimo,

Is this sounding like early demise of a product in your opinion or just a long term directional adjustment? The Ridgeline is a great product that was dropped on the market at exactly the wrong time. Between gas prices going through the roof and insane employee pricing, the Ridgeline couldn't have hit a more competitive and poor market for trucks. They have to know that as well and see that the press and the owners of these trucks have been very pleased with the performance and features of the truck. Unfortunately sometimes even the best business minded individuals make moves that are rash and unnecessary to make short term numbers look good.
I'm not sure what to make of the chatter going on. I can't see Honda abandoning the Ridgeline, but I think "putting it on the back burner" would be more accurate.

I don't have much contact with anyone at Honda, but a few friends, and friends of friends seem to know some contacts. The word "unhappy" seems to be repeated over and over again when it comes to the Ridgeline.

Since Honda is a company that doesn't change direction very fast I'm surprised at these comments. I was really hoping to see some higher end features in future Ridgelines... maybe even an Acura version. I was most looking forward to a small V-6 diesel engine.

What I hear now is that we've got several years of carryover ahead of us. Only very minor changes.

Since we know some high-ups at Honda read this forum I say the following with that in mind:

We know that the competition is aware of the unique features that the Ridgeline offers. We know that at least two competitors are introducing redesigned models that incorporate some of those features. The competition is working toward eliminating many of the reasons people purchase the Ridgeline. This could add up to even lower sales for the Ridgeline... especially if you play the carryover game.

For 2007 you need to offer that small V-6 diesel, and a higher end model. People want automatic headlights, wipers, better leather, trip computer, etc. The Ridgeline would remain as a segment leader.

-Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts