Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Philips CrystalVision and the Sylvania Silverstars, as well as Silverstar blinker bulbs up front (not orange-looking, but lights orange when lit). I was hoping that the RL would come with factory Xenon lights.

If nobody changed theirs yet, would you all be interested in a group buy? I'm leaning towards the Philips CrystalVision H4s and the Silverstar 3457 blinker bulbs. I can get the for $40 and $25 respectively, however, if we did a group buy, perhaps we can get a better deal.

Let me know.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'd recommend the Philips VisionPlus, which is what I put in. The problem and myth of these hi color temp bulbs is they do not put out more lumens, and their life is significantly reduced. They only last about a year in normal conditions. They claim they are brighter or more output but this is tricky marketing symantecs as it does not have a clear definition so they use it. The fact is they produce no more candlepower, lumens, output than other high-end halogen bulbs. The trade off for the 'bright' looking white light is life, they have a rated life about 250 hours compared to about 800 hours for the VisionPlus. Granted the white light can look pretty cool, I've tried them and liked it but ultimately decided long life was something I wanted more. If you do go for these, or Silverstars, PIAA or other 4000k+ color temp bulbs I'd suggest buying two pair and keep the spare in the truck so you can change it out quickly if you're on a trip far from home.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi vertrkr,

Yes, I am tempted by those VisionPlus bulbs as well. I was going after that blue-white look, but I know what you mean by longer life...not to mention a more usable, brighter light--albeit not as bluish as the CrystalVision bulbs. I'm torn on this one right now, but I really don't like the yellowish color of my existing bulbs.

How would you describe the color of the light coming out of your VisionPlus bulbs? Did you change the blinker bulbs as well?

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Keoni said:
Hi vertrkr,
Yes, I am tempted by those VisionPlus bulbs as well. I was going after that blue-white look, but I know what you mean by longer life...not to mention a more usable, brighter light--albeit not as bluish as the CrystalVision bulbs. I'm torn on this one right now, but I really don't like the yellowish color of my existing bulbs.
How would you describe the color of the light coming out of your VisionPlus bulbs? Did you change the blinker bulbs as well?
Haven't changed the blinker bulbs yet, still considering. Very pleased with the VisionPlus bulbs though. The stock ones were indeed yellow but with the VisionPlus I no longer notice any yellow tint. I forgot what temp they are, sorry. The Osram Silver Star is also highly recommended, probably even better. (Note these are not the same as the Slyvania Silver Stars sold in the states.) You can get both here:
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

·
Registered
265 Posts
vertrkr said:
I'd recommend the Philips VisionPlus, which is what I put in. The problem and myth of these hi color temp bulbs is they do not put out more lumens, and their life is significantly reduced. They only last about a year in normal conditions. They claim they are brighter or more output but this is tricky marketing symantecs as it does not have a clear definition so they use it. The fact is they produce no more candlepower, lumens, output than other high-end halogen bulbs. The trade off for the 'bright' looking white light is life, they have a rated life about 250 hours compared to about 800 hours for the VisionPlus. Granted the white light can look pretty cool, I've tried them and liked it but ultimately decided long life was something I wanted more. If you do go for these, or Silverstars, PIAA or other 4000k+ color temp bulbs I'd suggest buying two pair and keep the spare in the truck so you can change it out quickly if you're on a trip far from home.
Personally, I like the PIAA Super Plasma bulbs. I had them in my Element, and the produce excellent clarity and brightness..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts