Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did mine today according to maintenance minder at 9050 miles. There is not enough room for my socket style oil wrench to fit between the bottom of the filter and the structure of the car. Had to do the old drive a screwdriver through the filter for leverage trick to get it off. Also, the plastic fender liner in completely in the way of the filter. Our last Acura with basically the same engine and using the same filter had neither of these issues. I trimmed the flimsy ass fender liner slightly so I could access the filter. Its another on of Honda's brilliant remove the filter and it drains across the car's substructure to get to your drain pan tricks again as well.

· Registered
392 Posts
Did mine today according to maintenance minder at 9050 miles. There is not enough room for my socket style oil wrench to fit between the bottom of the filter and the structure of the car. Had to do the old drive a screwdriver through the filter for leverage trick to get it off. Also, the plastic fender liner in completely in the way of the filter. Our last Acura with basically the same engine and using the same filter had neither of these issues. I trimmed the flimsy ass fender liner slightly so I could access the filter. Its another on of Honda's brilliant remove the filter and it drains across the car's substructure to get to your drain pan tricks again as well.
The dealer charges around $34.00 to do it, and I get the free food in the waiting room, why would I want to do it.

trainman

· Registered
926 Posts
I'll take my dealer freebee at the first one and then do it myself thereafter.

I'll do my homework on a filter wrench before then.

Maybe some of those who've done it already will chime in with some tips and tricks.

· Registered
566 Posts
I changed the oil filter and oil myself.. a filter removal tool is a MUST. Even with a tool I dented the filter trying to get it off.. insane how tight they put them on

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Honda makes a filter removal tool that's designed to work with Honda filters (and others). I went to Bernardi parts and got it at discount. It's still pretty pricey though. But given how tight everything is under there, if I'm going to do it, I want the right tools:

07AAA-PLCA100 | Honda Oil Filter Wrench - Bernardi Parts

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts
Hmm. On the G1, I normally find this tool to work wonderfully to remove the oil filter:

Assuming the G2 oil filter is in the same location as the G1, cranking the steering wheel hard right should give easy access to the filter. Or if you're rotating tires and have it on jackstands, it should be even easier to get to.

But if the factory 800 lb gorilla put on those oil filters, I can see why you might need a different tool than the one pictured above. ;)

Once you loosen the oil filter, a quart size freezer baggie around the oil filter will catch most of the outflow. And a shop rag across the frame should catch anything that comes out of the filter mount after the filter is removed.

Reactions: flyboy76

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts
I hand tighten and have never had an oil filter come loose.

There are no torque specs for the oil filter in the copy of the 2017 OM that I can find.

Reactions: christianrance

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Honda makes a filter removal tool that's designed to work with Honda filters (and others). I went to Bernardi parts and got it at discount. It's still pretty pricey though. But given how tight everything is under there, if I'm going to do it, I want the right tools:

07AAA-PLCA100 | Honda Oil Filter Wrench - Bernardi Parts
You can get the same thing at most any auto parts store. Meant to be used with a socket wrench.

· Registered
80 Posts
@speedlever: most people like to over-tighten the oil filter for peace-of-mind.

Anybody know what the torque specs are for the oil filter?
I would suggest using the "Specific Mechanical And Rotational Torque, American Standard Specification" (S.M.A.R.T.A.S.S.). This standard applies equally to nuts, bolts, and screws so I would imagine it can be used for oil filters too. The standard specifies: "Tighten it until it strips completely, then back it off ¼ turn".

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
Yup, I remember Pat Goss (Motorweek) responding to a viewer's question on which tool was best for tightening the oil filter. His response: "Your bare hands" (paraphrasing).

This was back in the early 80's.

In my ~40 years of wrenching on cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, boats, lawn equipment, etc., including changing out and often patching well over 100 tires/wheels by hand back on the farm, I think I've used a torque wrench once in my life. I may have used it twice in my auto mechanics class in college. That being said, I do tend to tighten the oil filter another quarter turn after I've hand-tightened it (mainly because my hand is usually slippery with oil by then).

· Registered
2014 Sport
4,407 Posts
For those of you tightening your filter beyond hand tightening, what tool are you using to do that?? Most of the oil filter turning tools actually dent / damage the filter when you use them and they are essentially made for LOOSENING. . .

I have never seen a manufacturer recommend tightening beyond hand tight. If there is a "rotational spec" it is most likely a 1/4 turn AFTER THE FILTER MAKES FIRST CONTACT with the mating surface. Its not 1/4 after hand tight. . .

I work with my hands and have a strong grip. I tighten my oil filters as tight as I can get them with my hands. When it comes time to remove I use a strap wrench. Time and heat makes them beyond my ability to turn off by hand.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
Like I said, I tighten a quarter turn after I get it tight with oil-slippery hands. If I took the time to crawl out from under the vehicle and wipe my hands good before handling the new filter, I could get a much better grip and tighten it the same amount, if not tighter.

The tool I use is similar to the one shown above, fits perfectly over the end of the filter, then a 3/8" socket wrench. You'd have to really torque on it to make a dent in the filter (at which point you're probably close to tearing the end off the filter).

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts
With gloves and a shop rag, I don't have to worry about oil slick hands trying to tighten the filter by hand. I have some nitrile gloves but prefer the ones my wife brings home from the hospital where she works.

Reactions: EFICTION

· Registered
166 Posts
The torque specs are distinct to the filter you use, not the vehicle...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.