Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Introducing myself. I'm Scott and I'm considering the Ridgeling.

Seeking info on Gunn Honda in San Antonio, Texas. They are a 'no haggle' type dealership on the Saturn Model.

They also have Gunn Nissan on the other side of town. Stopped in there to look at a Frontier (too small) and was impressed with their setup. They appear very committed to this 'everything-out-front-no-games' metodology and claim their sales people are not on commission. They have open price lists for accessories and options. They have a sales-room-in-the-round' sort of setup with no 'little rooms' to get you into.

It all looked good but it would be nice to hear form someone who has bought from them. I want to find a dealer I can trust (silly me) with a good service dept. as this whole 'downsized truck' thing is completely new to me having always driven full sized 3/4 ton trucks but don't really need one any more altough I'll hang on to my 'old' one for a while. Heck, I've never even bought an import out of the many new trucks I have owned. Let alone (heaven help me) a NEW model which is in it's first year and is also a NEW CONCEPT for the company. (maybe I've lost my mind).

Thanks in advance for any help you nice people can give me.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sfleming said:
Hi all,

Seeking info on Gunn Honda in San Antonio, Texas. They are a 'no haggle' type dealership on the Saturn Model.

It's RIDGELINE, not RIDGELING! :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tex's Ridge said:
sfleming said:
Hi all,

It's RIDGELINE, not RIDGELING! :(
Obviusly a Freudian typo.;-] For a guy like me the RidgeLINE is a tad 'strange' ... thus ridgeling ... like strangeling.

Where did you buy yours Texas neighbor and how'd you work your deal if you have a minute to tell me?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
578 Posts
What' the price they are offering. You should be able to get them for very very close to invoice +/- a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shingles said:
What' the price they are offering. You should be able to get them for very very close to invoice +/- a few hundred dollars.
Hi,
Thankyou for talking to me.

Well I'm still learning what all thos initials after RTL stand for. They're talking about an RTLS/R (I suppose that's satelite radio which means nothing to me) for $30,237 but I've only just sent my first reply email to them from their initial response to my inquiry. Not making offers or anything yet as I don't even know what color I want yet.

This seems pretty high from what I've heard.

Unlike so many posters here I AM shopping for a good dealer as well as a RL as I don't know nothin bout no import cars. This would be my first ever. I hate car dealers but these no haggle guys truly are easier to be around than most other dealerships. I have yet to find out if the numbers they are talking about are 'out the door' (plus TT&L of course). This internet car buying is a whole new world to me.

I usually just find the (American) truck I want on a lot ... walk in and offer them something well under sticker price and either walk out or write them a check. Usually the first but seldom make it to the door.

Now the dealers are working so hard to stay ahead of internet savy buyers you have to play hard and play to win. I have a feeling this no haggle BS is just that. BS.
Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
arteegee said:
Actually it means sunroof and the radio is part of that pkg. ;)
Oh,

(duh)

What a novel concept. A sunroof I mean. Never had one.

Do you know how I can find the VIN number info to assess if any RL I might buy is not one of the first off the line? There are quite a few sitting around on lots here in Texas and they could easilly be older ones. I do not want to EVEN think about messing with a leaky sunroof.

Thanks,
Scott :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try Fernandez Honda in S.A. Go through the internet and you should get a good deal.

If you search through this forum there a some great tips on making a good deal. Also you can get the dealer cost at Consumer Reports ($12.00) and very good. You can get a cost at Edmonds.

Tiger

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sfleming said:
Hi,
Thankyou for talking to me.

Now the dealers are working so hard to stay ahead of internet savy buyers you have to play hard and play to win. I have a feeling this no haggle BS is just that. BS.
Regards,
Scott
Hey Scott, I like your train of thought. Take your time looking for the "right one"....Good luck Sir!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
sfleming said:
Oh,

(duh)

What a novel concept. A sunroof I mean. Never had one.

Do you know how I can find the VIN number info to assess if any RL I might buy is not one of the first off the line? There are quite a few sitting around on lots here in Texas and they could easilly be older ones. I do not want to EVEN think about messing with a leaky sunroof.

Thanks,
Scott :)
Don't recall any leaky sunroofs reported. My vin is 516xxx and it has never been back to the dealer for any problem in 4 months of ownership. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
arteegee said:
Don't recall any leaky sunroofs reported. My vin is 516xxx and it has never been back to the dealer for any problem in 4 months of ownership. :)
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I've been researching how VIN numbers work. Far as I can figure they started the numbers a 500,000 so your car would have been the sixteen thousand something RL to come off the line?

Right?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Where did you buy yours Texas neighbor and how'd you work your deal if you have a minute to tell me?

Hey sorry for JTC on Ridgeling (kinda like that now). My advise: I have never been a member of a forum till ROC came along. With ROC I have picked up a lot of everyone's xprnce on haggling. I bought my RTL/SR/XM at a "no haggle dealer, with Salesperson NOT on commission" BS. Go somewhere that haggles, those other no haggle places are for suckers like me. MOHO. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tex's Ridge said:

Hey sorry for JTC on Ridgeling (kinda like that now). My advise: I have never been a member of a forum till ROC came along. With ROC I have picked up a lot of everyone's xprnce on haggling. I bought my RTL/SR/XM at a "no haggle dealer, with Salesperson NOT on commission" BS. Go somewhere that haggles, those other no haggle places are for suckers like me. MOHO. :)
I was afraid of that.

Any tips on where you get or are thinking about getting service?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sfleming said:
I was afraid of that.

Any tips on where you get or are thinking about getting service?

Thanks,
Scott
The dealership I bought my "no haggle RL sale" has a great SD. And they are only a mile down the road. So they definitely get all my warranty issues. Economy Oil and Filter Change in less than 10 MIN gets the rest.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Scott,

We bought (new) our 2001 Accord from Gunn and our 2001 Odyssey from Benson, both in San Antonio. We are now in the process of trading the Odyssey in on a Ridgeline (we expect it to arrive tomorrow!) and our teenage son is acquiring the 2001 Accord while we have a 2006 Accord on order.

We bought the Accord first, from Gunn and the Odyssey later from Benson. The timing of your question is really strange. Hubby and I were just discussing our experiences with the dealerships a couple of days ago. We felt like the no haggle price that Gunn was offering was not all that great. I much prefer being able to do my research and working the deal that best suits me. When we had to have service done, we chose Benson over Gunn. Please keep in mind that we bought there over 4 years ago, so things may have changed now.

We have now moved to East Tennessee. Hubby is a native San Antonian and I lived there for 4 long summers, er, I mean years. :p It is good to be back here in my native area. Good Luck to you as you search for your new vehicle. If we can be of service please don't hesitate to contact us.

P.S. I am soooo missing the Chicken Fried Steak at Mama's Cafe and everything at Bill Miller's!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SmokyMtnRidger said:
Hi Scott,

We bought (new) our 2001 Accord from Gunn and our 2001 Odyssey from Benson, both in San Antonio. We are now in the process of trading the Odyssey in on a Ridgeline (we expect it to arrive tomorrow!) and our teenage son is acquiring the 2001 Accord while we have a 2006 Accord on order.

We bought the Accord first, from Gunn and the Odyssey later from Benson. The timing of your question is really strange. Hubby and I were just discussing our experiences with the dealerships a couple of days ago. We felt like the no haggle price that Gunn was offering was not all that great. I much prefer being able to do my research and working the deal that best suits me. When we had to have service done, we chose Benson over Gunn. Please keep in mind that we bought there over 4 years ago, so things may have changed now.

We have now moved to East Tennessee. Hubby is a native San Antonian and I lived there for 4 long summers, er, I mean years. :p It is good to be back here in my native area. Good Luck to you as you search for your new vehicle. If we can be of service please don't hesitate to contact us.

P.S. I am soooo missing the Chicken Fried Steak at Mama's Cafe and everything at Bill Miller's!
Hi,
Thanks for that. Yeah, it looks like 'no haggle pricing' means, "Shut up and pay $1400 over invoice, chump. Then bend over for exorbitant accessory charges. .... Please."

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought our Ridgeline RTL at Gunn Honda for $510 under Invoice. We went to all the local dealerships, Benson, Fernandez, Gillman and even some in San Marcos and New Braunfels. Our experience at Gunn was good, there was no pressure to buy "now" as at Gillman and Benson. I told the salesman what I would pay for the RTL and he called me the day the price was changed. I had a 2000 Odyssey to trade and got what I expected for it. So, overall we were and are pleased with Gunn and the purchase. I had it back in last week for the backup sensor installation and was given a loaner car for 2 days with no questions asked. Good luck with your search.

cmmc5
06 Steel Blue Metallic RTL

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have had great success with "no haggle" buying by using the internet for my last three vehicle purchases. There are many sites like Edmunds.com, Microsoft CarPoint, etc. where you can get a bid by email or by phone. You usually are dealing with the fleet manager, or as internet sales have become more popular, a dedicated internet sales manager. You may get as many bids as you want from dealers that are within a reasonable distance from you. I bought my first vehicles this way in 1999, when I purchased a new Ford Winstar for dealer invoice less $1000 Ford rebate. It was a factory order and the sales manager printed off a copy of the factory invoice for me when he ordered it while I was in the office. I also purchased a '99 Ford Ranger a few months late (different dealer) off the lot for dealer invoice plus $300 less $15000 in Ford rebates. The dealer in the first instance still made the 3% holdback and in the second, the holdback less whatever flooring costs he had on the vehicle.
The initial bid on the RL was about $500 over invoice, but after getting a quote on my trade in I informed the sales manager that while I thought the price was good, I was going to another dealer whose bid was a little lower and compare bottom lines. He asked what it would take to keep the deal there and I said $500 and that's where we ended up.
All three transactions with different dealer were painless and no haggle. No more dealing with sales people with no authority for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts