Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All these fancy cleaning methods.

Anyone else just drive down to the quarter wash, you know with the spray gun doohicky? Its always worked fine for me. Set the dial to soap and hose it down till it quits,set it to cheap ass wax and repeat. Sometimes a towel may be involved a bit. LOL Guess My RL wont be very spoiled.

In the winter the above is really the only way to wash off the salt period.

Yes I know not to use the rock laden brush or attempt to strip off the paint at close range :D

L

·
0 Posts
I try to take mine through the touchless wash every other day after rain especially. I have not used the hose nor the "rock laden brush" on her and I doubt if I will. I like to wash her myself in the driveway on weekends that way I can bucket wash and take my time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Never used one in my life. I always hand wash at home with my own soap, wash mit, chamois, etc. Never used a brush except on my wifes Pilot wheels. Very picky since I come from a long line of car people.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've used my power washer on my 68 day old RL for the first wash and was very careful not to get too close with it. Since then I've done it by hand. I think I've washed it three times, claybar'd it once, waxed it once using Zymol, but dust and detail it quite often using McGuire's Detailer Mist & Wipe (I think that's what it's called). I'm sure my wife will wash it now and then at a touchless carwash when I'm on a deployment...but I cringe thinking about that day.

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
383 Posts
jlannoo said:
Anyone else just drive down to the quarter washD
Yes. I even use the rock laden brush.... of course I first shake it out well, then use the power sprayer to get any fine residue out of the bristles, shake it out again, run my hand through to check, ensure there is lots of soap coming out prior to gently washing her...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use the mister clean system. It's awesome. Got it from Walmart. Today I put my first wax job on my truck and discovered that the black pearl has blue metal flake in it. It is awesome to look at up close in the sun.

The other color ridges are great but I wouldn't trade my nighthawk pearl in for any of them. :cool:

Have a great day!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Godskid said:
I use the mister clean system. It's awesome. Got it from Walmart. Today I put my first wax job on my truck and discovered that the black pearl has blue metal flake in it. It is awesome to look at up close in the sun.

The other color ridges are great but I wouldn't trade my nighthawk pearl in for any of them. :cool:

Have a great day!!
Yea Nighthawk black is awesome. I have had a few comments on the blue flake already. :)

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
100 percent hand car washes for me with tire treatment and all. I don't have the time to do it myself then clean myself up afterwards. I'm not lazy, just have a lot on my plate! :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, 25 (darn, there's no cents sign on my keyboard) at $2.25 a pop, currently. I use a chamois to dry. And, oh yeah, the carwash is acrosss the street from the brewpub!!!:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Grok Lobster said:
Yes, 25 (darn, there's no cents sign on my keyboard) at $2.25 a pop, currently. I use a chamois to dry. And, oh yeah, the carwash is acrosss the street from the brewpub!!!:D
So it ends up being about a $20.00 car wash then, right. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was about to take my truck to one of those places when I was driving up and saw it was $2.25 per 3 minutes and I turned around and came home. I have a pressure washer (it isn't very high pressure, one of those sort of cheap plugin units) at home and if I really need to use it I don't have to pay $2.25 for 3 minutes. I also have the Mr. Clean thing so I will likely just wash my truck with that, but I need to find some way to first get all the bugs off the hood. Also have to deal with waxing and such so I can put on the nose mask (I should have made the dealership put it on, but they did give it to me for free, or to keep me quiet).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
captmiddy said:
I was about to take my truck to one of those places when I was driving up and saw it was $2.25 per 3 minutes and I turned around and came home. I have a pressure washer (it isn't very high pressure, one of those sort of cheap plugin units) at home and if I really need to use it I don't have to pay $2.25 for 3 minutes. I also have the Mr. Clean thing so I will likely just wash my truck with that, but I need to find some way to first get all the bugs off the hood. Also have to deal with waxing and such so I can put on the nose mask (I should have made the dealership put it on, but they did give it to me for free, or to keep me quiet).

Yea thats expensive. they just went from $1.00 to $1.25 for 3min a year or two ago round here.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A quarter wash - on a black Ridgeline? No, No! A thousand times no! I would rather eat dirt! The shiny black finish will become a dull haze of scratches before you know what happened. I agree with the comments about the Mr. Clean system, it works as advertised. I saw the whole Mr. Clean kit with refills at Sams Club tonight for $20.00. That is a very good deal. If you do have to use a commercial car wash, use the touchless kind and be prepared to wax often. Dry-Wash-and-Guard would be perfect for those that cant wash by hand in their driveway. It goes on quick and easy. It does not leave those nasty and ugly white marks in rubber moldings and every crack and seam that it gets into. As to removing bugs, simply lay a very wet towel on them for 5 to 10 minutes while you start to go to work on the wheels. Keep the towel very wet. They will wipe right off - especially if you have a coat of wax under them. No need to use bug remover that also removes wax.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea I guess I don't baby cars very welll Lol Im drunk and posting from my nerdy treo 650 Lol
I used to hand wash and wax my delsol....I just can't get into that anymore

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was tempted to try the touchless automatic last week, but $7.00 for the cheapest basic??????????? :eek: It did include a "spot-free" air dry, but still!

My neighbor across the street has had a dark grey Durango for a year that he's never waxed. He just uses the Mr. Clean rig once or twice a week. It still looks great, I must admit.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
No car wash for me. I'm retired and have the time to hand wash so that is what I do - and it's fun! It takes me a couple hours but I do it in the morning when it is cool and it is a good warm up for my afternoon golf game.

I use good ol' turtle wax car wash and power blow it as dry as I can. Then I use chamois and microfiber towels to finish up. I use Stoners or Safeway on the glass and twice a year a couple coats of Klasse All In One (never need to wax). There are lots of things I use on the inside, tires and bed and I try to do all this about twice a month. Every other day or so I go over it with the California duster. It always looks nice!

L

·
0 Posts
Skywalker said:
Hand washing during a mild winter north of the 49th parallel. :D
Thanks alot Skywalker. All of a sudden I have this urge to turn on the heat and start a fire in the fire place. :rolleyes: :eek: :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts