Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the sometimes unsuccesful fix of replacing the windshield for this problem, i was wondering if the vins above 16000 are completely wind noise free. my ridge started whistling last 2 trips and boy, i was not happy to hear it. occured after 2400 miles and about 10 days after delivery. my vin is 14543.
wind buffeting sounds i'm ok with just not this incessant whistling. it's not too loud yet(knock on wood).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are people having trouble with the wind whistle and the water leaking in the RTL's only or both?
Have had the truck a couple of days and no rain yet and haven't noticed any wind whistle. I'm going to turn the radio down on the way to work in the morning and see if I hear anything. But from what I understand it happens after you have some major miles on it. I'm only at about 300 right now.

P.S. I'll check back often on this post and let you know if I hear anything

·
Registered
92 Posts
As of yesterday I enjoyed 2800 perfect truck miles, as I left work and reached about 40mph A whistle started :eek: sounded like a dry u-joint I had on my 73 GMC. It stopped at about 60mph. Heard it for a second this morning. My vin is 506919, Please have a moment of silence for me as I see If this progresses. I have had the roof rack from the start and have some wind noise I can live with, this noise would send me over the edge.

·
Registered
46 Posts
make sure u guys call honda and let them know .... and let us know what they say ..... i called and they r still denying they have a problem and according to them they have no complaints on record.... :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honda is misleading in what they are telling owners. They are well aware of complaints on this, including my own, and are inept at 1) acknowledging the problem; 2) troubleshooting it; and 3) fixing it. I am exceedingly disappointed with their resonse and the numerous visits and attempts to fix this. I am escalating this problem with Honda. By the way, my vin is well below 16000. I hope they are correcting the numerous defects found in the early vehicles in subsequent production.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haven't had a recurrence today of my wind noise when i picked it up from the dealer, (they repainted the tailgate to fix the scratch that was present when i took delivery) but then again i was only able to drive to 65mph.
the point of my post was that if the adjustment they made to the robot fixed the wind noise issue, then fixing the windshield the way the robot would have done should work perfectly. i'm just concerned about reports of getting the windshield replaced and still having the noise afterwards.
so anybody with wind noise and vins above 16000?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just took delivery of ridgeline vin # above 20000, had a torrential downpour and no leaks but the truck was parked at the time. However at about 70 mph it whisltles dixie. It seems to be worse when the ac is off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine whistles intermittently only. must be the wind direction and speed. if cars above 16000 also whistle then i'm going to just live with this for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thats the same thing I'm experiencing sunday 4 people in truck wind noise, monday just myself no noise go figure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately, yes, I have wind noise with VIN in high 19000's. RTL w/Navi is two weeks old now, just broke 200 miles today (been too busy to drive 'er much). As soon as I hit 60mph, I have a persistent and loud whistle noise, very annoying. I stopped by the dealership this afternoon (Friday) and talked with a ticket writer who pretty much blew me off, so I said "take me to your leader", and was in the service manager's office pretty quick. Service manager was right on top of things, scheduled an appointment so he could go on a test ride with me himself Monday morning, and pulled out his stethoscope and discussed how he would attempt to pin down the source of the noise. Service manager said there was no TSB out yet, but he was following problem and had spoken with "tech line" about the wind problem. According to the service manager, each time a dealership has a Ridgeline with wind noise, the dealership is suppose to call the Honda "tech line" and discuss options to fix problem. This dealership has already replaced one windshield to solve the wind noise. I'm hoping my "whiste" does not require replacing the windshield. Will post again after visit to service dept on Monday. Very pleased that service manager stepped up to the plate after ticket writer dropped the ball. Now I'm hoping that I also don't have the dreaded water leak. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good news regarding my "whistle" wind noise...fixed! The fix was acccomplished by resealing windsheld reveal molding (outside). According to service adviser, the sealant was applied on the top and passenger side of the windshield by injecting the sealant into the molding cavity with a syringe type applicator after diagnosing the location of the noise using the "high tech" masking tape method. The trip odometer showed that the truck had been driven almost 25 miles while at the dealership, so it was a bit of work to isolate the location of the noise using the masking tape, and to road test the repair. The sealant need several hours to "set up" as well, so this was an all day job. The service manager apologized for not washing the truck before returning it to me, saying it would be better not to have moisture on the sealant until it was fully cured. There was no visual evidence of the repair, a very clean job. Very happy that the windshield did not have to be replaced, and very pleased with the dealership. True to his word, the service manager himself went on the check ride with me in the morning, and using his stethoscope, decided the noise was not a wind leak coming into the cabin, but instead a "reed" type noise being created by the windshield molding. The service manager and the service adviser were genuinely interested in resolving the problem, very kind and personable, and very professional. I was guarded in my approach to addressing the wind noise with the dealership, and in the end, I had a very positive experience with the service department. At this point, they've earned my future business. Hope I don't need any more warranty work, but glad I have a service department I can count on. I'm hoping anyone else with wind noise will have the problem resolved as easily and expeditiously as I did. ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
OH BOY!! this is great news. i have isolated the wind noise on the exterior molding of my windshield. used painters tape and trial and error and a 1/4 mile of farmroad and isolated to the exact spot. i will print your post for the service dept i visit. i was hoping they could use some type of very small injection device to input a sealant. the gap is very small but it sure makes the "reed"/"whistling" sound. happy for you and appreciate you taking the time to post your results...........i was considering using a clear or black silicone but i have been hesitant because i wanted to figure out how to get it up under that little gap/molding, rather than over the rubber and sheet metal.
this is good news. i have a feeling the windnoise issue is similar in cause to all that have it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Can you pinpoint the location of both your leaks? IE Upper right corner, etc.
It would be a great help for others. It will be "brotherly or sisterly of you"!! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jeffiam, hope your wind noise is fixed soon. I know it is a very irritating "whistle".

Tex's Ridge, my wind noise was along the top of the windshield on the passenger's side, and also on the pillar on the passenger's side.

My "whistle" was directly related to crosswinds, not so much, if at all, with headwind. I was in strong crosswinds yesterday, between 20-25 mph on a long stretch of US 99 out in the San Joaquin Valley, and no "whistle noise" after the fix. I do notice that a strong crosswind really buffets the doors with some noise (no whistle thank goodness), but I've always had that kind of noise in any vehicle, so not overly concerned. The truck was very steady on the road with the strong crosswinds, which I really appreciated. I was in California truck country out in the valley, and got a lot of looks from drivers of "real trucks" lol ... a guy in a F-150 gave me a thumbs up as he hovered alongside, however, another guy in an Avalanche gave me a thumbs down lol ... Ridgeline definitely catches people's eye, and sometimes even elicits responses! ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Can you pinpoint the location of both your leaks? IE Upper right corner, etc.
It would be a great help for others. It will be "brotherly or sisterly of you"!! :D
absolutely.........i did post my results under "whistling windnoise" the same day. glad to repost here though...i used painters tape and taped the passenger side of windshield..i used strips of tape, ie. one piece over the cowling on bottom of glass, one for lower corner, one for side, one for upper corner......i did this and test drove............ahhhh, quiet......then i would remove a pc and burn off down the road!!!...anyway, noise would not return, took off another strip, noise returned, put strip of tape back on...this takes patients and a few minutes but i absolutely isolated it to the upper corner. (passenger side is where my noise is located). what it is is the lower rubber seal of the windshield is slightly gapped (about 1/8th inch) more than the driver side from the sheet metal. NOT THE WIDER MORE VISIBLE PORTION OF THE GLASS SEAL, but the smaller portion below that. about 2 inches worth around the upper corner. its like the robot that pressed the glass in was off just a little bit. i remember back in april or may someone posting that very thing. even remember someone posting that they noticed a gap difference similar to mine. might have been vertrk. hes been all over this issue. anyway, i have no way of taking picture. i hope this is sufficient explanation. I AM CONFIDENT TEX, AND OTHERS, THAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO DISCOVER THIS SAME OR SIMILAR CAUSE ON YOUR RL. IF SO, I AM HOPEFUL, BASED ON A POST YESTERDAY IN THIS THREAD BY AKATWN, THAT THE GLASS OR SEALS WON'T NEED TO BE REMOVED BUT SIMPLY "FILLED IN" WITH SOME KIND OF INJECTED SEALANT. hey, akatwn, would you mind calling your service dept and find out exactly what it was they used so i/we could give that info to my/our service dept? to all others, i suggest doing what was suggested to me by VERTRKR. TRY TO ISOLATE THE NOISE YOURSELF AND THEN VISIT SERVICE DEPT. i will show up with the tape on the area of noise. let them drive with (quiet) then without (friggin whisle!). i know it makes there job easier but like vertkr said to me, then they can't deny it or deny being able to locate it. i agreed and thus my painters tape expedition.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Apparently, this problem have not been resolved at the assembly line yet, seing the high vin's on this thread!!! Thank you much AKATWN and JEFFIAM for your detailed responses. I'm sure anyone with this problem reading this thread will have something solid to go on.....I've also seen at the other forum others having this problem, but have no idea about resolution to the problem, as we have here in the ROC!!! My windshield was replaced because of a "noise" I reported to the ticket writer when I went in for another reason. This was in May or June. The noise was not a whistle. It was more like wind gusting. They did this without any hesitation at all. I'm glad they replaced the windshield because it had a good size chip from a rock hitting my windshield at 70 mph. Sounded like a gun went off in the cab!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tex's Ridge

If you are going to the CT meet, you all should maybe take road tests in each other's cars if some of you have road noise you are concerned with, at least then you can see if it is just the way the truck is built that you hear something that doesn't disturb others or if it is a noise that is specific just to your vehicle. I don't notice any wind noise in my truck, but I don't have the miles on it yet to really have noticed. I am taking a 250mile drive this weekend so the 500+ total miles I will put on will give me a chance to really air it out and see if there is anything I am concerned with at highway speeds anyway.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts