Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: New place

Anyone tackled the roof rack install at home?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Roof Rack install Tips

All in All not a hard install.

***Make sure you get the directions, they are not in the box. If all else you can get them from our corporate sponsor H&A.

Measuring and marking:
This was a little difficult due to the curve in the strip. My recommendation is to cut a piece of string the length of the gutter strip then lay the string out straight finally using the dimensions provided in the instructions cut the string. Now you have a marking template, just tape correct piece to the strip and make your mark. This step will add a couple of minutes up front but will save time when it comes to the second strip and remeasuring.

Cutting the Strip to Length:
The hardest part is cutting the black gutter strips, the cut pieces will be used to fit the spaces between the rack attachment points.

The instructions recommend a hacksaw, ok not an issue if you are cutting through metal. However you are cutting through a rubberized aluminum strip with about 10,000 different angles. So not only does the hacksaw bind but the strip is quite difficult to hold on to.

I ended up using a steady hand and and my Dremel but be very care and DEFINATELY wear gloves and googles (it gets hot and spits metal fragments).

Assembling the unit:
Really no tricks here just read the whole section before you put it together and make sure you get the bars in the correct order.

Installation:
If you can get an extra set of hands for this it will be helpful. The unit isn't that heavy but it is ackward to line everything up. After that a few bolts into the pre-threaded holes a couple of caps (make sure you hear a positive "SNAP") and your done.

Total Time:
My total time was 1.5 hours. The extra 30 minutes was due to darkness because I had to to put them on the day I got my RL so I didn't start until 6:30 PM.

Moving the Crossbars:
They do move but getting the tighten screws loose can be a bit challenging, they are not easy to hold on to. I take a screw driver with me to give some leverage (don't reaf on them just a little nudge will be fine). Then you can place them where ever you attachment dictates.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Install is easy. Especially when you have help.

BTW, is it OK to upload the pdf of various install instructions on this forum and make it a sticky?

The dealer I get my accessories from always prints the instructions out for me. Doesn't matter if I buy the accessory or not. Honda instructions are so clear I think anyone can do the install. I would even go as far as to say the instructions are a bit overkill. Some may see it as intimidating.

I've read the instructions for all the accessories available for the RL. Doing this gives me insight into my soone to be car audio project. Where all the electrical wiring holes are and how interior panels are put together. I guess I can stop being cheap and buy me one of them Helms manuals, but hey, free is always better.

I also have the instructions in pdf courtesy of the on-line dealers.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Ditto here, intall was not a problem. I needed help during the last step just to position the rack on the roof. Be careful and DO NOT overtighten the screws. One of the screws stripped because I overtightened it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agree, easy install. Take your time and double (triple) check your measurements. The covers for the rack overlap all of the trim pieces so any SLIGHT measurement mistakes should be covered by the rack covers.

Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Now if I can stop driving long enough to order and install it. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts