Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that since the dash lights are on all the time, I forget to turn on my headlights at night because I already think they're on. My only real clue that they aren't (besides not being able to see) is that the NAV is on day mode. I'd wish the Ridgeline had the auto headlight feature of my Silverado. I wonder what the life expectancy of the bulbs behind the dash will be?

·
Registered
183 Posts
By habit I still try to :rolleyes: turn my headlights on by the windshield wiper controls.Thats the way our Odyssey and older Accord works. I am almost out of the habit of releasing the parking brake by my left foot, just like the Odyssey is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ruffles said:
I find that since the dash lights are on all the time, I forget to turn on my headlights at night because I already think they're on. My only real clue that they aren't (besides not being able to see) is that the NAV is on day mode. I'd wish the Ridgeline had the auto headlight feature of my Silverado. I wonder what the life expectancy of the bulbs behind the dash will be?
They are LED's, which typical will last forever just about.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree it's a bit misleading but I haven't had an issue yet. I haven't had the luxury of having daytime running lights nor auto on driving lights, so I'm still used to turning on the lights at dusk/dawn/bad lighting conditions. Driving a delivery truck for a few years helped to burn in the notion that head lights get ya noticed and reduces traffic incidents. So they get flipped on when needed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shingles said:
They are LED's, which typical will last forever just about.

Good to know. I wondered when manufactures would start useing those. Getting behind the dash to replace a bulb is a major pain.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Heading home the 1st night with my RL, I lowered the nighttime dash illumination to just below the click. A side benefit is that if your dash is too bright, your lights aren't on. ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
arteegee said:
Heading home the 1st night with my RL, I lowered the nighttime dash illumination to just below the click. A side benefit is that if your dash is too bright, your lights aren't on. ;)
You know it is funny that is what I do too and is about the same thing I use to determine when I haven't got the lights on. If the dash lights are bright the lights aren't on. I guess we are just the odd ones though, I find my wife complains that the lights are too low where I set them for night driving. My grandfather instilled it into my head that having the dash lights up too high pulls your eyes from the road and makes it hard to watch the vehicles in front of you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When looking at your dash if your headlights are on you will see a green symbol (2 headlights facing away from each other.) When your High beams are on you will see the standard blue light. Also If you leave your headlights on, all models (except RT), have the auto off/on headlight feature when you shut or open the doors.
When you remove the key from the ignition and shut the door the lights will stay on for 15sec. and then go off. If you locked the door the lights will automatically turn back on when you push the UNLOCK button on your keyless entry or when you open the door manually.
I find by always leaving my lights on that i never foret to turn them on. And I also get the daytime running lights i desire.

You must leave your headlights in the ON position for this to work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is an intersting subject. We have a new law in California that says if your windshield wipers are on you must have your headlights on. I don't argue with the logic of this, it makes sense to me. My question is, could one of the more adept members let me know if it is possible to wire things up so that the lights will automatically come on with the wipers? Sounds like a slam dunk but we all know how those can turn out!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ruffles said:
My first experience driving at night in the Ridge began around dusk. My previous vehicle, a Ford, had auto on headlights. I looked at the instrument cluster and it was all aglow. We had driven for approximately 30 minutes, even passed a county sheriff, when we came to a road closed sign. I put on my turn signal and the reflection off the sign was so bright my wife even commented on it. I told her that's because Honda is so concerned with safety. We drove another couple of miles and when we turned onto a dark wooded road, we both realized the headlights weren't on. I can't believe we didn't get hit or a ticket or both. I still have to make a concious effort to remember to turn on the headlights.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Me too.
I tried to do the DRL thing in the Ridge and gave up for all the hastle of lights on, adjust Nav lighting;adjust dash light; repeat for night driving. The auto day light setting on the Garmin 2610 I used in my Ody would auto set day to night at sunset...it knew. Not Ridge; auto means on/off with the headlight switch. I gave up on manual DRL. If there is an accessory DRL I'd be interested.

·
Registered
59 Posts
f12xbear said:
Also If you leave your headlights on, all models (except RT), have the auto off/on headlight feature when you shut or open the doors.
When you remove the key from the ignition and shut the door the lights will stay on for 15sec. and then go off. If you locked the door the lights will automatically turn back on when you push the UNLOCK button on your keyless entry or when you open the door manually.

The RT model also has this feature. Just tested it. Auto on and off

·
Registered
82 Posts
jlannoo said:
The RT model also has this feature. Just tested it. Auto on and off

Shhh.... Don't ruin their illusion that all that extra money got them a ton of improvements...

:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Crispy said:
Shhh.... Don't ruin their illusion that all that extra money got them a ton of improvements...

:D
LOL :D

Funny the quick start guide they gave us also says the RT cant roll its windows down with the remote. It can ofcourse.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just heard that the new 2008 Ridgeline will not use headlights at all. They will be supplying night vision goggles. This way they estimate they can save about 20 pounds of weight by getting a smaller batery and using a magneto instead of a generator to run the electrics.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Having the Canadian model, forgetting the headlights is easy to do. DRL (daytime running lights) kicks in no matter what, so at times it looks like the headlights are on. I believe the DRL sends 6 volts to the headlights so it is somewhat dim.

I still go for the switch at the column 'cause my wife's Mazda MVP, like most other vehicles, headlight switch is there.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I first got my ridgeline I was always turning on the wiper blades when I actually wanted the headlights on. :p I dont forget to turn them on tho, the green headlight symbol in the dash comes on if your lights are on , plus the dash lights dim drastically when they are on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ruffles said:
Getting behind the dash to replace a bulb is a major pain.
The irony here is that the RL's dash is about the easiest in the world to get into. Removing the face of the dash is super easy -- just pull, and then there are 4 screws to remove the whole instrument panel. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The placement of the green/blue dummy light if the lights are on leaves much to be desired. Tucked into the lower corner of the main display area, it gets hidden by the steering wheel and you need to look for it to see that they are on. I agree that auto-detection feature for lights on would have been appropriate. This is not a Hundai, $14000 truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts