Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I started getting a "check TPMS system" message on the annunciation panel. It only happens about every other drive.

Pressures are all good. No recent changes to the car or wheels, tires, brakes.

Anyone see this, and know what it is, or am I destined to take it in?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
A couple things just pop in to mind. Not the only things though.

When you said the pressures are ok, did you check the spare also?

Another would be a potential battery failure on one of the sensors, but odd that it would happen on a newer car.

TPMS operates on an RF signal, perhaps if its happening intermittent, you are experienceing signal interference in an area you're driving through?

Does it come on and sttay on? or does it come on for a second and off for about 3 seconds?

·
Registered
601 Posts
You might just have a TPMS sensor going bad.
I have a 09 and I have change 2 so far my first on went out in 2013 just over 4 years 53 months aft the date I bought it. And I I think It was built in January of 09.So the TPMS sensors would have been only 59 months old just under 5 years old.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The batteries in the sensors (inside the wheel) typically last about 7-9 years. But it's not impossible for one to go bad earlier. Your tire dealer may have a reader that can tell if they're still transmitting.

Alternative possibility - the Ridgeline has a TPMS receiver near each wheelwell, and one of them may have gone bad. Not sure if it will set a code, but couldn't hurt to stop by an auto parts store to check.

Chip H.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you said the pressures are ok, did you check the spare also?

Another would be a potential battery failure on one of the sensors, but odd that it would happen on a newer car.

TPMS operates on an RF signal, perhaps if its happening intermittent, you are experienceing signal interference in an area you're driving through?

Does it come on and sttay on? or does it come on for a second and off for about 3 seconds?
I check all 5 wheels every month...

No signal interference (or at least no new interference). Seems random during starts from both home and work, no changes in driving habits, etc.

You might just have a TPMS sensor going bad...
The batteries in the sensors (inside the wheel) typically last about 7-9 years. But it's not impossible for one to go bad earlier. Your tire dealer may have a reader that can tell if they're still transmitting.

Alternative possibility - the Ridgeline has a TPMS receiver near each wheelwell, and one of them may have gone bad. Not sure if it will set a code, but couldn't hurt to stop by an auto parts store to check.

Chip H.
Good ideas, guys. I'll have to stop by autozone to see if they'll read any codes.

Are these sensors or the recievers something I can look at and replace on my own? (I'm an engineer and very mechanically inclined.) Or is this a dealer thing?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The sensors (transmitters) are inside the tire on the valve stem, so you'd have to deflate and dismount the tire to get to them. This normally requires equipment.

Part 21 on this diagram:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RIDGELINE&catcgry2=2011&catcgry3=4DR+RTL+(SUNROOF/NAVI)&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=WHEEL+DISK+(KA)

The receivers are under the fender liners. So you could remove them (held by screws & clips) to get to them. AFAIK, they just have one plug connecting them to the low-speed CANBUS and power + ground. Listed here as "Initiator"s.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RIDGELINE&catcgry2=2011&catcgry3=4DR+RTL+(SUNROOF/NAVI)&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=TPMS+UNIT

Chip H.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The receivers are under the fender liners. So you could remove them (held by screws & clips) to get to them. AFAIK, they just have one plug connecting them to the low-speed CANBUS and power + ground. Listed here as "Initiator"s.

Chip H.
This is something that'd be pretty easy to verify (the fact they (initiators) are all still plugged in.

I can't quite tell where the receiver is from the picture...

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Me neither. I would guess under the dash near the fusebox.

Chip H.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had that come up. The message stayed on for me and it turned out that I had a dead sensor. Just to be safe, I replaced all 4 on my 2011.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, I thought my 10 years were the limit for my sensors (batteries), because I too got this warning a few short weeks ago. However it went out very shortly there after.
It occurred to me later that I had replaced the rear brake pads around that same time; and I also checked the fronts (they were fine). BUT, when I pulled the right front, I rolled it several feet away onto a flat spot (driveway is on a hill & that wheel got moved probably 20 feet or so away from vehicle).

I'm speculating that being moved that far away might have "unlinked" the proximity connection for that sensor, which reset itself shortly there after???

... or maybe my sensors are just nearing end of life.... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts