Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2006 RTS and love it so far. I am going back and forth between replacing the entire head unit with something USB and Bluetooth friendly, or working with the factory 6-disc head unit. Right now my preference would be an inexpensive way to hook up a newer iPhone lightning cable (not the older 30-pin connector) to the aux jack. Most of the products I see only provide accommodations for the 30-pin connector. I would like to avoid using the 30-pin cable plus the lightning adapter, if possible, and just find something that comes right out as a lightning input.

Has anyone had any luck direct wiring something lightning cable friendly to the stock RTS 6-disc changer aux port?

Long shot, but is there any way to install a 1/8" jack into one of the options ports between the 12v inputs?

Brainstorming here. Appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What are you trying to do? One the RL you should have available 12 power plug and 1/8" audio auxiliary input. iPhone 5/6 you can use lightning cord to lighter adapter for power and simple 1/8 to 1/8 patch cord to input into the auxiliary plug. If you have iPhone 7, there is an adapter available that goes into the phone's lightning plug and connects a lighting charging cable and 1/8 x 1/8 audio cable to aux.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What are you trying to do? One the RL you should have available 12 power plug and 1/8" audio auxiliary input. iPhone 5/6 you can use lightning cord to lighter adapter for power and simple 1/8 to 1/8 patch cord to input into the auxiliary plug. If you have iPhone 7, there is an adapter available that goes into the phone's lightning plug and connects a lighting charging cable and 1/8 x 1/8 audio cable to aux.

Ive got a 2006 so there are no auxiliary inputs anywhere. I've seen threads of people who have run the 30-pin old-school Ipod cord from the back of the head unit through the glove box. I was wondering if there was one of those auxiliary cords that runs direct into a lightning cable so I am not required to run the 30-pin cord and then connect a lightning adapter to that.

The ultimate scenario would be if I could run a 1/8" input into a really clean looking spot in one of the empty options buttons between the two 12V lighter inputs.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I just bought a 2006 RTS and love it so far. I am going back and forth between replacing the entire head unit with something USB and Bluetooth friendly, or working with the factory 6-disc head unit. Right now my preference would be an inexpensive way to hook up a newer iPhone lightning cable (not the older 30-pin connector) to the aux jack. Most of the products I see only provide accommodations for the 30-pin connector. I would like to avoid using the 30-pin cable plus the lightning adapter, if possible, and just find something that comes right out as a lightning input.

Has anyone had any luck direct wiring something lightning cable friendly to the stock RTS 6-disc changer aux port?

Long shot, but is there any way to install a 1/8" jack into one of the options ports between the 12v inputs?

Brainstorming here. Appreciate any insight.
Ive got a 2006 so there are no auxiliary inputs anywhere. I've seen threads of people who have run the 30-pin old-school Ipod cord from the back of the head unit through the glove box. I was wondering if there was one of those auxiliary cords that runs direct into a lightning cable so I am not required to run the 30-pin cord and then connect a lightning adapter to that.

The ultimate scenario would be if I could run a 1/8" input into a really clean looking spot in one of the empty options buttons between the two 12V lighter inputs.

My $0.02:

The OEM head has no direct provision for an external input, at least not without an external adapter like the USA Spec.

You may want to consider your 10 year old factory head has done it job admirably but is certainly nearing end of life.

With that in mind, making the leap to 2016 makes a whole lot of sense. You'll get a boat load more features and options, way better audio quality, achieve all your goals and eliminate the aggravation of throwing $ into an adapter that will serve no future purpose when the OEM head kicks the bucket.

Last time I looked, USA Spec adapters were something like $150 to $220 - which is already in the nice head unit territory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My $0.02:

The OEM head has no direct provision for an external input, at least not without an external adapter like the USA Spec.

You may want to consider your 10 year old factory head has done it job admirably but is certainly nearing end of life.

With that in mind, making the leap to 2016 makes a whole lot of sense. You'll get a boat load more features and options, way better audio quality, achieve all your goals and eliminate the aggravation of throwing $ into an adapter that will serve no future purpose when the OEM head kicks the bucket.

Last time I looked, USA Spec adapters were something like $150 to $220 - which is already in the nice head unit territory.

I bought an adapter for my '07 and I regret I just didn't do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The RTL had the 1/8th inch plug you are referring to. Sound quality that route sucked. With the cost of head units nowadays, is just replace the thing and move on.

I got a USA-spec unit used and manufacturer updated it for me free of charge. Otherwise I'd have gone the head replacement route too

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I had some of the same issues. I just replaced the head unit in my 2007 RTX this past weekend. with this:
Alpine CDE-W265BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It has both an AUX Input Jack and a USB port on the front. Just use your Apple USB/Lighting cord to connect. I did have the USA SPEC Aux Input that I wired with the jack located between the 12v plugs that plugged in to the back of the factory radio.

My suggestion is to get a new head unit with the features you want. It sounds SOOO much better than the factory unit.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I bought an adapter for my '07 and I regret I just didn't do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had some of the same issues. I just replaced the head unit in my 2007 RTX this past weekend. with this:
Alpine CDE-W265BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It has both an AUX Input Jack and a USB port on the front. Just use your Apple USB/Lighting cord to connect. I did have the USA SPEC Aux Input that I wired with the jack located between the 12v plugs that plugged in to the back of the factory radio.

My suggestion is to get a new head unit with the features you want. It sounds SOOO much better than the factory unit.
JustSaying.jpg

Just saying....

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,469 Posts

How about a picture of the The HU, your picture of the HVAC doesn't look like a RTS, But the RT, IIRC. If you have the RT, you have no option what so ever, RTS had XM/AUX button on HU, but still need USA SPEC or iSimple adaptor, and by the time you purchase that, your 1/2 way to the new HU.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I used the USA SPEC IPOD Aux Input. I ran the IPOD charger into the glove box (the old connection I never used) and you can see where I ran the Aux Input using the original radio. Again, I'd just get a new head unit as I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts