Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and only saw it briefly mentioned once in a post but no real thread discussion on it.

I have to do more research, but from my understanding if you are stuck, you would put the vehicle in mud or sand mode, turn hit VSA off button and the vehicles system will do what it can to get you unstuck without damaging the drive train. It's on page 477 of the owners manual.

Was curious if anyone has ever used it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Might want to read that again...think you have to be in Normal or Snow mode to turn off VSA. There's a YouTube video of an RL stuck in a creek crossing where the driver claims in the comments that he finally put the truck in "unstuck mode". It was buried to the axles but he managed to back it out with VSA off. Later on, it was revealed that this RL had the 1.5" front lift and Nitto Terra Grappler 245/70R17 AT tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might want to read that again...think you have to be in Normal or Snow mode to turn off VSA. There's a YouTube video of an RL stuck in a creek crossing where the driver claims in the comments that he finally put the truck in "unstuck mode". It was buried to the axles but he managed to back it out with VSA off. Later on, it was revealed that this RL had the 1.5" front lift and Nitto Terra Grappler 245/70R17 AT tires.
I mistyped sorry. From my reading I thought you needed to hit that button to get that mode to work. It doesn't really indicate how to activate the system. Unless it automatically senses and gives u the option on the screen?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,242 Posts
Maybe of interest: the text and chart on intelligent traction management found in @McChizzle's G2 Wikipedia article

There's also quite a bit of discussion about VSA (what - how - why) scattered through the attached Press Kit (use search term VSA in Acrobat Reader to find all of the many mentions).

Just FYI for your research and reading enjoyment.

From my reading I thought you needed to hit that button to get that mode to work. It doesn't really indicate how to activate the system.
Study those resources, especially all of the mentions in the Press Kit, and I think you'll conclude that "VSA" is always 'on' and silently but dynamically and actively doing its thing to the degree and effect it determines appropriate, except when manually de-activated ('turned-off') by the provided button (and even then, returns to the 'default on' condition upon vehicle shut-down/restart).

IOW, choosing a different Mud / Sand / Snow mode doesn't "deactivate / turn-off" VSA per-se, it just alters how (the degree to which) it applies itself. "Deactivating / turning-off" VSA using the dedicated button is a distinctly separate manual operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
My conclusion: "Stuck" mode isn't really a thing. If you get stuck while in Normal or Snow mode, you can dial back the VSA by turning it off, which allows more wheel spin that in some situations can help you get unstuck.

This is not analogous to the Taco's "Crawl" mode which automatically engages sensors and software to alternately turn and brake each drive axle in a slow motion attempt to maintain or regain traction. You can Google it on YouTube to see it free a Taco that's buried its axles. Some scoff at it as a gimmick. I think it could be useful for serious off-roaders.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My conclusion: "Stuck" mode isn't really a thing. If you get stuck while in Normal or Snow mode, you can dial back the VSA by turning it off, which allows more wheel spin that in some situations can help you get unstuck.

This is not analogous to the Taco's "Crawl" mode which automatically engages sensors and software to alternately turn and brake each drive axle in a slow motion attempt to maintain or regain traction. You can Google it on YouTube to see it free a Taco that's buried its axles. Some scoff at it as a gimmick. I think it could be useful for serious off-roaders.
I gotta say, that vid with a Taco burying itself into a sand hill then slowly unstucking is pretty damn impressive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts