Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
I have hauled both mulch and stone in the bed. I have a utility trailer as well. I use an oversized tarp that covers both sides and drapes over the tailgate. Once loading is complete I wrap the load with the tarp and cover that with the cargo net.

I don't use the trailer that much just because I jack knife and hit stuff so......

Anyway as stated by another poster it also makes clean up a cinch.

K.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Discussion starter · #22 ·
What size tarps do you guys have to do this? To cover all the bed, up the sides and the tailgate. I don't have one so I'm going to be looking for one. Any recommendations?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

A heavy duty 9x12 tarp would work OK but a 12x15 would probably be better suited to allow you really drape it over the truck and then cover your load. If you are really paranoid about damaging the sides you could lay a couple of moving blankets over the sides prior to laying the tarp down. This would protect against gravel scratches but obviously wouldn't do anything if the loader bangs into the truck. When you are at the material yard use your own judgement as to the competence of the loader driver.
My local yard will sell (its about $20 extra) you a heavy duty giant bag that they use for delivering sand and gravel. It holds "one scoop" of gravel/sand and they have a special funnel rig that they hang the bag on while they dump the material into it. They then use the loader to pick up the bag by its straps and drop it into your truck. Based on your trepidation, perhaps you should go this route if it is an option.

I agree with the trailer idea! I have hauled gravel in my Tundra bed and could not avoid the scratches. I now have an old military trailer to haul gravel, sand, mulch etc. What I would really love is a small twin axle dump trailer. The RL will pull it with no problem. :act024:
John, I've been looking at those military trailers too. Just got a M101A3, but haven't fit it out, or gotten an appropriate pintle hitch for it yet. Was curious if you could post a pic of your setup with ridgeline and trailer? How much weight have you been able to pull in yours?

I'm thinking of building a box out of OSB and using latches and hinges to put it together in the truck. 4'x6'x20" high. I know these are 1/2 ton trucks, but so was my old '91 Nissan that I put up to 2300lb in it. It's just this truck has a fiberglass bed. The front end loader folks are goo about getting a side scoop, so it doesn't go all over the place. Having gravel is getting ridiculous at $560 for 16 ton of 57 delivered.

I'm thinking of building a box out of OSB and using latches and hinges to put it together in the truck. 4'x6'x20" high. I know these are 1/2 ton trucks, but so was my old '91 Nissan that I put up to 2300lb in it. It's just this truck has a fiberglass bed. The front end loader folks are goo about getting a side scoop, so it doesn't go all over the place. Having gravel is getting ridiculous at $560 for 16 ton of 57 delivered.
Keep in mind the bed is rated to 1100 lbs max. Just sayin'.

I loaded up mine with 3/4 gravel. Was probably was way overloaded and pain to get all the small rocks out of the crevices in the bed. Scratched up my tailgate loading.

If I did it again I would rig some tarp or wood to make it easier unloading and protect the tailgate.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.