Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a truck in another few months, and am considering either a Ridgeline or a Tacoma. Believe it or not, I live in So Cal, however, I have never actually seen a new Ridgeline out on the road, not a single one! There are tons of Tacoma and Colorado around, and I do like the Tacoma, but I feel the RL is more suitable for my purpose, so I finally went to a Honda dealership to take a closer look.

I was finally able to see 4 RL's on the lot, in person, not on the computer screen. I couldn't believe it! I asked the sales rep about the popularity of the new RL compared to the countless new Tacoma & Colorado out on the road, and he started to stutter and only said more or less Tacoma & Colorado are just really nice trucks. I then asked if I can get a base model RT, FWD, or maybe AWD, and he started to feed me BS about all the optional add-ons they have on the trucks. I am just looking for a basic RT. I don't want any additional packages, pinstripes or mud flaps, so I want to ask the forum members, if it's even possible to get a base model RT and pay cash from a dealer lot, and not have to special order and pay MSRP for it? I would really love to get a RL, but if RT is a true unicorn and unattainable, then I'd also be happy to get a Tacoma.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have never seen a RT in person, although I do remember at least one person on this forum posting pictures of his.

A search on Cars.com shows the following inventory in the US:

4385 Total
549 Black Edition
733 RTL-E
1482 RTL-T
1212 RTL
275 Sport
124 RTS
10 RT / Base or Unknown

Fewer than 1% of the RLs on Cars.com are RT models, and the closest to SoCal is a FWD in Las Vegas. Honda dealers work on an allotment system - they could theoretically change one of their allocation to the next available RT or trade with another dealer, but in my experience you are better off haggling on something already on a lot - there is a member on here that got $3k off on his RTS not too long ago which would more than make up for the difference between RTS and RT trims for instance. There is a fair amount of useful equipment on the RTS over the RT like Remote Engine Start, Smart Entry, Tri-Zone Climate and Fog lights.

So unless you are stuck on the RT for some reason, if I were in your shoes I would expand my search into RTS and possible Sport models.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=21884&mkId=20017&page=1&perPage=50&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sf1Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=price&stkTypId=28880&trId=24692&trId=29632&zc=90210

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow! Thank you for the information! I guess RT model is truly rare! For me, any new Ridgeline is more rare than a Bugatti, since I've not seen a single one on the road yet in the year or so it's been out. I will take your advice and look at an upgraded model when I'm ready to purchase.

thank you!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yeah, if you are in no rush, just keep your eye out on something the dealer might have had on their lot for a while and shop at times where they might want to move a vehicle over getting the biggest sale price. There are some who have managed to get several thousand under sticker price, and close to invoice on their vehicles.

Drive a few different RL's to get a feel for the vehicle, perhaps in different trim levels, and drive the Tacoma on the same day. Give a few a look and check out the pre buying checklist that is somewhere on the forum, and the "what did you pay" thread.

Happy hunting!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
"SEE BELOW"--- And there are some minor differences in Ride Height and such with the FWD, but more than one member with a FWD has later seemed, IMHO, disappointed in the Vehicle, later for numerous reasons. Driving around corners, Towing capabilities (AWD = 5000# FWD = 3500#) and Towing Wiring Harness required additional equipment and other stuff. Considering I'm a First Gen Owner, and having never driven a Second Gen, I would most likely only accept a AWD, because I've had times where I've needed the capabilities.

Reactions: Marchal

·
Registered
544 Posts
"SEE BELOW"--- And there are some minor differences in Ride Height and such with the FWD, but more than one member with a FWD has later seemed, IMHO, disappointed in the Vehicle, later for numerous reasons. Driving around corners, Towing capabilities (AWD = 5000# FWD = 3500#) and Towing Wiring Harness required additional equipment and other stuff. Considering I'm a First Gen Owner, and having never driven a Second Gen, I would most likely only accept a AWD, because I've had times where I've needed the capabilities.
RT can be AWD.
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 8.22.03 PM.png

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Speaking of FWD vs AWD, only the AWD types are offered in the PNW... the AWD corners really well given the vehicle size with the torque vectoring thing.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
If this new truck is anything like the last generation Pilot was, the 2WD and 4WD/AWD models were VERY different in their driving experience. Personally, I would never drive the RL if it weren't AWD. It's so much more predictable and capable on that road. The 2WD suffers from some torque steer and strange communication through the steering wheel with different throttle and brake applications.

Being that you really want a no-frills RT model, you can use it as a HUGE negotiation tool. The RTS, as mentioned, does offer some very nice upgrades over the RT and it's only about $2000 more. They will certainly be more readily available. An AWD RTL would be pushing $4-5k more, so that one may not be worth it. Nonetheless, stress to the sales people you REALLY want an RT and you could care less about the upgraded "features" that come with the higher models. Trust me, they will want to sell you something they have on their lot a heck of a lot more than doing a dealer trade or taking a deposit for an order. Use that to your advantage and get yourself a great truck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You guys make me laugh saying the 2wd suffers from torque steer. I have never felt torque steer in this truck not even a little and my previous vehicles were a Focus ST and VW GTI and let me tell you that's torque steer. I do agree you should look at the RTS over the RT and you'll be happy with the few extra features it offers. Overall I'm extremely happy with 2wd RTS and would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
You guys make me laugh saying the 2wd suffers from torque steer. I have never felt torque steer in this truck not even a little and my previous vehicles were a Focus ST and VW GTI and let me tell you that's torque steer. I do agree you should look at the RTS over the RT and you'll be happy with the few extra features it offers. Overall I'm extremely happy with 2wd RTS and would do it again in a heartbeat.
That's actually really good to hear. The only real hands-on experience I have is when I sold for Honda back in 2006-7. The difference between the 2WD and AWD Pilots was painfully evident. I have no doubt Honda, in the last 10 years, has addressed many of the issues the 2WD model had including torque steer. If you're never going to be driving in inclement weather or towing and doing a lot of highway miles, the 2WD is way more than adequate for the job. There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to AWD, too, but it's superior in most every way for everyday driving. My thought is that if you're spending $32,000 on a vehicle, why would you not spend $33,500 and get AWD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great tips! I am definitely leaning AWD, although I most likely wouldn't mind a little FWD torque steer, but seems my choices will probably be limited to whatever trim level and colors on the dealer lot. Love to have RTS AWD...

·
Registered
79 Posts
You will see more Ridgelines on the road when you are driving one. :grin:

-

What I did -- drive all the vehicles you are interested in and get quotes on trade in value. Get each to give you a bottom line price (ideally at the trim level you want but not super important quite yet).

Select a vehicle make and model... then go back and get to specifics on the trim level you feel is in your price range. Check with more than one dealership.

I was going to buy a Sport (really liked the black) but found a RTL that ended up being less expensive.

So far I like the leather, heated, power seats. I also like the adjustable arm rest. Silver is OK and hides the dirt/salt much better.

-

My thought on the RT -- Honda needed a model to come in under 30K for marketing reasons. The Ridgeline is a "premium" truck but the press would make a big deal if the lowest price model 35k.

When you price similarly equipped models from Chevy and Toyota, the Ridgeline is competitive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have never seen a RT in person, although I do remember at least one person on this forum posting pictures of his.

A search on Cars.com shows the following inventory in the US:

4385 Total
549 Black Edition
733 RTL-E
1482 RTL-T
1212 RTL
275 Sport
124 RTS
10 RT / Base or Unknown

Fewer than 1% of the RLs on Cars.com are RT models, and the closest to SoCal is a FWD in Las Vegas. Honda dealers work on an allotment system - they could theoretically change one of their allocation to the next available RT or trade with another dealer, but in my experience you are better off haggling on something already on a lot - there is a member on here that got $3k off on his RTS not too long ago which would more than make up for the difference between RTS and RT trims for instance. There is a fair amount of useful equipment on the RTS over the RT like Remote Engine Start, Smart Entry, Tri-Zone Climate and Fog lights.

So unless you are stuck on the RT for some reason, if I were in your shoes I would expand my search into RTS and possible Sport models.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=21884&mkId=20017&page=1&perPage=50&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sf1Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=price&stkTypId=28880&trId=24692&trId=29632&zc=90210
I just bought an RT in Kansas City but the dealer had to do some work to get it in. The truck is a FWD RT and the dealer said they'd never get one on their lot without somebody coming in and asking for one. The salesman I worked with did mention that he's noticed dealers are discounting the Sport models by a fair amount, so that's a decent option if you're a fan of the black. But main point here is that if you want an RT, you can't wait on it. You'll have to go tell them that's what you want.

However, for anyone looking for a nice truck I will say that I love my RT. The two things I don't have that I would like in my truck is the walkaway locking feature and steaming bluetooth audio. Wife has the walkaway lock on her HRV and it's pretty handy not having to fish out your keys. My 2012 Mazda3 had streaming bluetooth audio, it was nice to be able to listen to podcasts or music without having to plug in my phone. Outside of those two things though, I'm more than happy with my truck and I got in it for about $29,000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great info guys! I hope to get a lower trim level RL, not black color, and without leather, mainly because I want to keep it as a really nice beater-ish truck for Home Depot trips. I'm really not into all that interior tech stuff like touch screen and blue tooth etc. and I'd prefer a radio with volume knob and buttons, which I know I"m out of luck. I need to get to the dealerships again to check out a blue one in person. It looks nice on the computer screen. Either blue or that dark metallic gray.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just bought an RT in Kansas City but the dealer had to do some work to get it in. The truck is a FWD RT and the dealer said they'd never get one on their lot without somebody coming in and asking for one. The salesman I worked with did mention that he's noticed dealers are discounting the Sport models by a fair amount, so that's a decent option if you're a fan of the black. But main point here is that if you want an RT, you can't wait on it. You'll have to go tell them that's what you want.

However, for anyone looking for a nice truck I will say that I love my RT. The two things I don't have that I would like in my truck is the walkaway locking feature and steaming bluetooth audio. Wife has the walkaway lock on her HRV and it's pretty handy not having to fish out your keys. My 2012 Mazda3 had streaming bluetooth audio, it was nice to be able to listen to podcasts or music without having to plug in my phone. Outside of those two things though, I'm more than happy with my truck and I got in it for about $29,000.
Your RT does have streaming Bluetooth audio. It's the same radio in the RT thru the RTL. I have an RTS and that's all I use is Bluetooth streaming.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your RT does have streaming Bluetooth audio. It's the same radio in the RT thru the RTL. I have an RTS and that's all I use is Bluetooth streaming.
Does your RTS have a knob for volume control? If so, then RTS is what I need!

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I tried it the first time, it only played audio when plugged in. I guess I need to try again and make sure it's on the right source. If I can get that work, it will be down to the "smart lock" as the only thing I'd actually want added.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts