Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to run a couple of 10 gauge wires to the battery and figured I'd ask to see how others here may have done it. Gone are the days of easy grommit knockouts.

Anyone got pics or location of an existing grommit / passthru that has extra room? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
kd4z said:
I'm looking to run a couple of 10 gauge wires to the battery and figured I'd ask to see how others here may have done it. Gone are the days of easy grommit knockouts.

Anyone got pics or location of an existing grommit / passthru that has extra room? Thanks!
Hey kd4z, I have not needed to run any wires into the cab yet but I would suggest going as far up the firewall as possible. I’ve read that some members have experienced water leaks above the gas pedal area and you may not want to add to this issue.

Ron

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Did you look at the space between the passenger side inner and outer fender near the fire wall? I was going to mount a mast type antenna on the front fender and looked at the path to get the wire inside. I did not go through with the project but I was fairly certain that a wire could be fished down to the kick panel without too much difficulty. You might pull that kick panel cover off and poke around a bit.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
By the way Kd4z, where are you going to make your physical connections for + and - ? Also what size fuse and where are you going to physically locate it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look for that grommit over the weekend. I think I'll be headed to the black box that was so tricky to push in the fog light wires into. There are two, large feeds going in to the side of that box that look really promising. I will use two large eye terminals under the bolts on those large cables.

I plan on using an inline 30 amp "auto reset" circuit breaker in each line, near the connection box under the hood. I usually run 10 gauge stranded cable as I will likely be using the feed for two different Ham rigs, both of which can pull up to 20 amps.

I found these little breakers at a ham fest, but they are likely available at a car stereo shop. They look like a small relay with just two bolt down terminals on them. The reason I like to "fuse" both hot and ground is that you are protected in the event of an accidental short of the "ground" feed to a positive wire (other than the one you ran as positive). Decent ham rigs have been double fused this way for years. Why stop now.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
When I was looking around for a place to pass a wire through for the alarm siren, I found the grommet that Ultra-Hog described. I didn't go with it either, but it looked like it could work. It is up high on the right inner fender behind the glove box area. It's fairly easy to see this grommet. Drop the glove box by taking out the two clips (one on each side). I used a pair of pliers and a flat head screwdriver to take the two clips out. Once the clips are out, remove the gas strut on the right-hand side. The glove box should drop all the way down. Take a look at the inner fender. The grommet is nice and big. I didn't go with this grommet because I didn't know at the time if a wire could be brought into the engine bay from the fender. If it can, you're laughing.

I ended up using Vertrkr's method.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran 2 Ga. wire through the same place as ridline crime unit and had no problems , use a coat hanger to go through it into the engine compartment it is easier that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts