Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The primary use for the bed of my truck is to haul two dirt bikes ( motorcycles, not bicycles). I have some small concerns about the bed area. I currently have an 03 Tundra & my 16 Ridgeline RTL-E is due mid Oct.
1) Since the rear edge of the rear of the bikes wheel sticks out past the gate, I can't use my current bed extender. (The bottom will be resting well past the edge.) The Honda bed extender appears to be designed for one bike, centered in the bed. I usually have two bikes, so it won't work for me.
2) In the past I have a wheel chock bolted to the front of the bed to stabilize the front wheel in loading as well as transport. ( This is the one I currently use: Universal Samson Bed Rack - Motocross Feature Stories - Vital MX.
Anyone using anything like this in their Gen2 yet? I'm not sure I want to be the 1st one to drill from the bed into the passenger compartment, but it just might turn out that way no matter what I prefer! I recently PM'd VinceP63 since he has mentioned hauling dirt bikes and he in interested in this: https://www.usrack.com/cradle_motorcycle_carrier.php
It looks like avery possible alternative, but still untried in a Gen2 as far as I know. Anyone else find something worth looking at?
3) My tailgate will be down when hauling the dirt bikes. Anyone relocate the rear view camera to the license plate or bumper area so the camera still gets a decent view to the rear while the tailgate is down?
Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to the arrival of my Ridgeline!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Grumpy, I came from a full size beater truck and had the same questions before I bought the RL. I will be heading to my first enduro this weekend and will be using an Ultimate MX hauler that popped up on Craigslist. When I went on a test drive with the RL, I put two bikes in the bike to check it out and it was fine! You are correct though, the bed extender appears to be for one bike and I find that for $50, the MotoNet will be easier to store in the trunk and can be used to secure items in the bed besides Bike Hauling.

As far as the items you listed, I not sure they would work with the composite bed and I have never felt the need for them. I have had good luck with just strapping down the front forks (with a suspension brace) and have never had a front wheel walk.

https://www.moto-gate.com/
http://ultimatemxhauler.com/

I will throw some pics up after the races. Cheers!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd just use the Condor chock and not bolt it in. That's how I carried mine both in my Ram and my trailer with no issues.
I sold all my motorized bikes last year and this year though so no Ridge experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So at this point, to my knowledge, no one specifically makes a motorcycle tie down bar for the '17 Ridgeline. Every Saturday I haul 2 bikes to parks around Northern CA. I designed a tie down bar (1"x3" rectangle tubing) that fits just under the 'ledge' at the bottom of the back window. Using this recess saves me from taking any extra real estate, so the bike should fit also the same as w/o the bar. It bolts to the sides of the bed under the upper tie downs, retaining the existing OEM tie downs. The bike handlebars are 40" wide, so each bike is centered 20" off center. The bed side tie down is 9" from bike center, so I made the other tie down equidistant. My only concern is I wish I could have spread the tie downs further apart for better leverage. I'll try it this weekend, and if all is good, I'll paint it. I'm thinking I may throw on a centered wheel holder for solo rides.
Comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Reactions: lbjgh

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haul one and sometimes two bikes often. I'm going to mount a strip of unistrut to the front 3 bolts in the bed and make small chocks for it that are removable. Will post pics when its done.

MotoGate is pretty nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. Here's my tie down bar finished & installed. I added a few more large tie down loops to lock the bikes to the bar. I also measured the bed w/ 2 bikes to see how long a net it would take to securely close up the rear. I figured 9' x about 22" tall to securely wrap around most of the tires and catch gear bags, etc. It took me hours to sew the damn thing, but I'm digging it.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've always used a trailer, much easier, faster, works better with one person, plus the bed storage trunk, becomes useless.

trainman

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always used a trailer, much easier, faster, works better with one person, plus the bed storage trunk, becomes useless.
trainman
I agree trailers are neat if you've got the space to store one. My friends in WA have some pretty neat set ups in enclosed trailers. Stuff is neatly laid out & secure. And it's a nice place to get your gear on & off in the rain. I'm not sure about Texas, but in CA, we are limited to 55mph when we pull a trailer and then become easy picking for the highway patrol if we match everyone's speed (65 & above). And I don't have the space to easily store one. These things can make trailers less desirable for me. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice job grumpy. I haul and tow bikes constantly all over. I use the bed, a trailer, a hitch rack just depends. Now I gotta build a bar like yours!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree trailers are neat if you've got the space to store one. My friends in WA have some pretty neat set ups in enclosed trailers. Stuff is neatly laid out & secure. And it's a nice place to get your gear on & off in the rain. I'm not sure about Texas, but in CA, we are limited to 55mph when we pull a trailer and then become easy picking for the highway patrol if we match everyone's speed (65 & above). And I don't have the space to easily store one. These things can make trailers less desirable for me. Thanks for the reply.
I can see where speed limits would be a problem, here in Texas the highway limits are in the 70-75 mph range, thus making trailer hauling more advantageous. I do believe tractor trailers and some large trailers have to run 5 mph below the posted speed limit, but that's so the normal flow of traffic can get around them. I have the room to store a trailer, but many of my riding friends that don't have those stand-up trailers that are great for small space storage.

trainman

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
trainman
Fun fact: The bed storage trunk I s not useless with two dirt bikes in the bed. I was able to open the trunk about 1/3 - 1/2 way with the two bikes on top. I would not have believed it if I hadn't done it with my own two hands. It's a nice surprise if you want to get something small out while the bikes are still in the bed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts