Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting them and installing them myself. I looked at the pdf of the instructions on line and it seemed pretty straightforward but wondered what others' experience have been. Any "tricks" or "gotcha's" when installing these babies?
thx
Ray

·
Registered
200 Posts
Conchflats,

Ya gotta be kidding, $995.00 for the install, or $995.00 installed it is still an outrage that it would cost so much. It is after after all 8 bits glued on.

conchflats said:
No , but if it is any consulation I am paying the dealer $995. So you are going to save a bunch .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry I ment $995 installed that includeds the moldings and installation .But still you save a ton if yor brave enough to do it yourself . On another post they were discussing intalling the hitch themselves now I would be nervous about hooking my $10,000 Travel trailer to a hitch that a novice put on . The differance between doing it yourself and having it professionaly installed is liablity .

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
conchflats said:
Sorry I ment $995 installed that includeds the moldings and installation .But still you save a ton if yor brave enough to do it yourself . On another post they were discussing intalling the hitch themselves now I would be nervous about hooking my $10,000 Travel trailer to a hitch that a novice put on . The differance between doing it yourself and having it professionaly installed is liablity .
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Shop mechanics aren't wizards, they just follow the instructions Honda provides and in some cases have the special tools if needed. As for the hitch, long as you have the bolts torqued down to spec and check them again after 500 miles or so of towing there's nothing else to it safety wise. To each their own though, I like to do my own work because I enjoy it and I know no one else will take as much care with my own car than me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's right, if you're nervous about doing it yourself, then by all means DON'T DO IT. I'm going to install my own hitch, but I looked at the instructions first and determined that there wasn't anything particularly tricky about it (e.g. welding or drilling or something). The frame is already threaded for the Honda-provided bolts.

Even if I had the dealer install it, I would still want to double-check all 6 bolts for tightness before pulling that $10,000 travel trailer on a trip!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check out my post regarding the body side moldings. Do a search for "Sportwing". This will definitely save a ton of $$$.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Paladin?
Is this actually you posting these responses now, or did they get "time warped"?
Long Time, No See! :D
Good to see that you're back, if you actually are... :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts