Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know i'm in Iraq so my wife took the Ridge to two body shops yesterday and the first one told her they would use FILLER and paint it BUT they would have to remove to rear bumber and the bed rail and spray clear coat from behind the drivers door to the rear corner of the bed. That doesn't sound right to me. Why would they have to spray the quarter panel?
The other shop said they would have to replace the door skin, they would paint it and then put it on, which at $30.00 less than the first. My wife and I feel they are not being very honest with her so she is going to take it to some more shops tuesday. For a pic of the damage, see thread called My Rigde has been hurt **Update** . Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I misunderstood what my wife had said. They will have to repaint and clear coat the door and the quarter panel to get it to match. I don't know anything about painting an auto but it just doesn't sound right too me. Think i should have her take it the dealer and see what they say?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
After look at the pictures showing the damage, here are the options.
DO NOT let your wife go get an estimate by herself, unless she knows something about bodywork. Someone else needs to go with her...Dad, Brother, etc.
This damage can be fixed three ways. I'll list the most expensive way to the least expensive way with pros/cons for each.

1. Complete new door - Pros - Enough said...you get a new door. Cons - Very expensive. Insurance would not pay for this, would have to paint the whole door and it might not match. This means you would have to "blend" the paint onto adjacent panels which would cost even more.

2. A new door "skin" - Pros - would get a new "outside" door panel. Cons - Door skins have to be welded on to the door frame. First, they grind off the old skin, then they spot and mig weld on the new skin. Most of the time the new skin warps a little from the heat of welding and filler has to be used around the perimeter of the door panel. Same thing as above for painting. Pretty expensive too.

3. Let 'em fix it - what I'd do. Pros - Since the damage to your door is very small and in the middle of your door, I'd let them hammer and dolly the dent (if any) out, grind the metal to rough it up, and apply a few thin coats of body filler to level it out. They then sand the filler, prime the affected area and sand some more, seal the primed area, and paint. What's good is this is such a small area in the middle of the panel. They will only have to spray color on the area they primed and sealed. They should then spray clear on the whole door. This way, if the paint does not match 100%, you should not be able to tell as the new paint is blended into the original paint. With this truck being new, the paint should be very very close. This is the least expensive method. Remember, if the damage is repaired correctly, the body filler (plastic) should not be over around 1/8" thick at the thickest part.

The most important thing to remember is to ask the shop what their warranty is. How long do they cover their work? What do they cover? Etc. You need that in writing along with how many days they will have it. Also, inspect the truck with their person and take note of the condition. Make them sign off on any existing scratches, dings, spots in the carpet, etc. Do this on the day you deliver it to the shop. THis is good for both you and the shop so they do not get blamed for anything that was already done and you don't get blamed for something they did.

Last, this is just my humble opinion. Don't take anything you say or read as gospel. Make your own decision. I just happen to know a little about bodywork. Any way would work if done by a reputable shop. The final decision is up to you. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts