Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this post isn't in the right category, using Tapatalk and can't see where to find sections.

Anyway, I am getting a hesitation when starting the vehicle. No warning lights on. 2011 rtl with 117k on it.

If I turn the ignition on a couple of times before engaging the starter then turn it all the way, she fires right up.

Seems to me I'm losing prime so I'm considering just changing the fuel and assuming it will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hesitation or kind of a stumble?
Stumble, like it wants to catch but can't.

That's if I get right in it and try and start it. Like I mentioned, if I turn ignition on a couple of times it then fires right up.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Age of spark plugs?

Checked valve clearances?

Cold start or all the time?

I dont think a fuel pump has ever been an issue in a ridgeline.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Age of spark plugs?

Checked valve clearances?

Cold start or all the time?

I dont think a fuel pump has ever been an issue in a ridgeline.
Valve clearance check was done 20k miles ago, along with plugs.

Mainly cold start, but warm start as well. One out of ten times on a warm start she fires right up.

The reason I ask about changing the fuel pump is more due to the fact I think my anti siphon valve maybe be bad, if its part of the fuel pump. Please excuse my terminology, I may not be describing that part correctly. But I feel I'm losing fuel prime, if that makes sense or is possible?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In my understanding of the valve is it would suck all the fuel out of the line if it was bad which would cause the vehicle not to start for a few seconds. It would crank fine just not start.

Yea I am just going off the age of the vehicle that it is unlikely to have a pump issue. Impossible...of course not.

Could do a fuel induction service....This kit is super easy to use. Could be some build up on the injectors.

And...a bad motor mount can cause start up shakes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my understanding of the valve is it would suck all the fuel out of the line if it was bad which would cause the vehicle not to start for a few seconds. It would crank fine just not start.

Yea I am just going off the age of the vehicle that it is unlikely to have a pump issue. Impossible...of course not.

Could do a fuel induction service....This kit is super easy to use. Could be some build up on the injectors.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-39089-Fuel-System-Tune-Up/dp/B009PPL604

And...a bad motor mount can cause start up shakes.
Thank you for your time on this I do appreciate it.

Basically it is sucking all the fuel out of the line. That's why when I turn the key two or three times to get the pump pumping fuel back in the line, it fires right up. Again this is only my opinion. But if I don't do that it just stumbles, never starts.

I will check out that kit as well.

I have had my motor mounts changed as well, I have done all the preventive maintenance that's suggested by Honda (and then some) up to this point. I want to get at least 200k out of this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Fuel pump failure at your mileage is not common.

I would be checking for a fuel leak between the pump (tank) and the engine. A leak anywhere, even a tiny one, will allow the pressure to release and the anti siphon (check valve) wont work without pressure on it. The leak may even seal up when under pressure so you dont smell gas leaking. I would be checking every connection and line for possible damage.

It is also possible the supply line inside the pump assembly in the tank has a pin hole in it. Ive had this happen on other vehicles (not Ridgeline) and it is a bear to diagnose. Eventually it will get bad enough the pump cant keep up and the engine will go lean and you'll get a light on the dash. Pretty sure the tank has come out to get to the pump. Has anybody checked your fuel pressure?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The day it started happening I went directly to Honda, they had it for about 40 minutes and wanted to keep it overnight. I did not have time to allow them to do that. During that 40 minutes they started to diagnose but did not have enough time to figure it out. It was a few weeks ago and I do believe they did check the fuel pressure and said it was fine.

They are the ones that told me to turn the key a few times before starting it for now. Until I could get it back to them.

Quite honestly I have done enough in tank fuel pump replacements/conversions in cars myself, I just figured I would give changing it out a shot.

I will check all the line connections before proceeding with the fuel pump change.

Thank you!

Fuel pump failure at your mileage is not common.

I would be checking for a fuel leak between the pump (tank) and the engine. A leak anywhere, even a tiny one, will allow the pressure to release and the anti siphon (check valve) wont work without pressure on it. The leak may even seal up when under pressure so you dont smell gas leaking. I would be checking every connection and line for possible damage.

It is also possible the supply line inside the pump assembly in the tank has a pin hole in it. Ive had this happen on other vehicles (not Ridgeline) and it is a bear to diagnose. Eventually it will get bad enough the pump cant keep up and the engine will go lean and you'll get a light on the dash. Pretty sure the tank has come out to get to the pump. Has anybody checked your fuel pressure?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
This is total speculation, but I'm wondering if it's possible for your fuel injection system to have a pressure leak (e.g. bad o-ring somewhere)?? I'm not familiar with this system at all, but it might be logical that you would lose pressure here similarly as has been discussed with the main fuel line from the tank/fuel pump.
Just a thought....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Ok so if it does not start at all then something is up...Im thinking if it is stumbling(trying to start) you are probably getting fuel just no ignition...Might need more then a forum to figure this one out.

Removal of the rear seats/fold up the carpet a little is all you need to get to the pump assembly. It is just on the drivers side of center. When you fold up your rear seats here is panels underneath that if removed you wold see the silver access panel for the pump. But would need to remove the seats to get everything out. It is a complete drop in unit. and not cheap

#21 is the panel

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...L+(SUNROOF)&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=FUEL+TANK

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the help and ideas.

I've ordered the oem fuel pump assembly, should be here next week. If that doesn't do the trick I'll bring it back to Honda and have them diagnose it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you very much for the photos!!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,865 Posts
From the 2006-2008 FSM:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Check for leaky injector/s.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

Got new fuel pump in today and there is no longer an hesitation starting.

Thank you all for the information and help. "STUV" thanks for the photos that got me rolling for sure and "speedlever" thank you for the diagrams.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

New one installed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts