Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Ridgeline with a 2" Traxda lift and 265/60R18's (with modification). I didn't think I would have so much fun with the ridgeline off-road. My No-Lo skids are coming in next week.

Anyway... I am thinking of getting the 3.5" lift from Traxda and fitting 32" tires. I've been reading around that I should also regear the transmission for the accommodation of the larger tires. I already feel a little sluggish with my current tires (Nitto Ridge Grappler), but never had issues getting to where I wanted to go.

Has anyone regeared their Ridgeline? If so, is it worth it?

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @808Bob!

You'll need to start with a mechanical engineering degree and a machine shop because what you're considering doesn't exist for the Ridgeline. :)

If you shift to S mode then pull the left paddle shifter, you can start off in 1st gear (the 9-speed normally starts off in 2nd gear). 1st gear in the 9-speed is lower than 1st in the 6-speed. 2nd in the 9-speed is higher than 1st in the 6-speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the reply. Just getting into the truck stuff. I've been in S mode and I have noticed the difference. I have to rethink the 32" tires. May not do it.

Thx zroger73.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Kinda like riding a 10 speed bicycle.....it easier to pedal in a lower gear. Going with a taller than stock diameter tire places more load on the drive train.....just like a higher gear on the bicycle places more load on your legs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 2020 Ridgeline with a 2" Traxda lift and 265/60R18's (with modification). I didn't think I would have so much fun with the ridgeline off-road. My No-Lo skids are coming in next week.

Anyway... I am thinking of getting the 3.5" lift from Traxda and fitting 32" tires. I've been reading around that I should also regear the transmission for the accommodation of the larger tires. I already feel a little sluggish with my current tires (Nitto Ridge Grappler), but never had issues getting to where I wanted to go.

Has anyone regeared their Ridgeline? If so, is it worth it?
I like how you think... and I'm right there with ya. However, no one makes (or will ever make) a lower gear set for the RL as far as I can see. Also, you don't have "normal" ring and pinion gears like you find in a solid axle truck in the RL. It is what it is. It would be up to Honda to come out with a way to re-gear for bigger tires. I think the RL can handle 32's in most situations, but if you ever find yourself in a place where you are spinning hard in mud and one of the tires finds a hard spot and grabs... say goodbye to the differential unit. Same thing happens on Jeeps with Dana 35c axles when they run 35" mudders. I've seen the carnage first hand when one tire grabs and the others are spinning fast in mud. No sir, we are just stuck with what came on the RL. :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I doubt even a tiny fraction of the peeps that bought the “right truck” (with ring and pinion gears) understand re-gearing and taller (than OE) tires.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I doubt even a tiny fraction of the peeps that bought the “right truck” (with ring and pinion gears) understand re-gearing and taller (than OE) tires.
Amen!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Mtpisgah I love my RL. It is my daily and there's only a couple places I'd like to go that will be difficult only because of clearance. Went to the mountain this past weekend. I keep challenging the RL and so far have not been disappointed.

@DSN46 Not much mud where I live, mostly rock. Live on the Big Island of Hawaii so a lot of lava rock.

Considering getting a Hero8 or a drone and make some fun videos.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Hey 808, did you get a good deal from Tony?

Glad you are enjoying your TRUCK! I am.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought my RL at the worst possible time (January 2020).... Tony Honda on the Big Island couldn't get it so I went to Oahu and pre-ordered. Unfortunately they couldn't keep the 2020 RTL-E in stock because of the high demand at the time so I didn't get a deal.

If I would have waited until April.... then probably a really good deal.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,668 Posts
Also, the rear differential is the exact same one in the current generation Ridgeline, Passport, Pilot, MDX and TLX.
Also, the 1st through 9th on the 9spd in the above models, and the reverse gear, are all the exact same ratios.

However, the TLX Final drive is 3.52, as opposed to the Ridgeline's 4.334 (same as the rest of the above models). So if you want a different gearing, then go for the TLX

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,359 Posts
The G1 5AT has final gearing of 4.533 vs 4.25 for the G2 6AT.

I believe the 9AT final gearing is 4.33, while the 10AT final gearing is 3.61.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,668 Posts
The G1 5AT has final gearing of 4.533 vs 4.25 for the G2 6AT.

I believe the 9AT final gearing is 4.33, while the 10AT final gearing is 3.61.
My post above makes the distinction for the 9spd in the current gen TLX; its the only one with a different final drive ratio (3.52).

The 10spd in the RDX has a 4.17 final drive, while the rest (RLX & Odyssey) have the 3.61 final drive. The accord has a 3.55.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey 808
Thanks for sharing
Do you have any more pictures of terrains you’ve been on ?

Really curious of its capabilities
Mahalo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@davidgt Yes I do. I'm just learning how to do some video/youtube stuff so I'll post some stuff soon. That pic was about 9,000 feet on Mauna Kea R1 trail. It's a jeep trail and I haven't done the full trail yet (30+miles around the mountain). The RL hasn't got stuck yet.....(crossfingers).

This is a short R1 video someone else posted. Mauna Kea R1. I have some videos to different beaches like Green Sands, secret beach, and others.

There's a sale on Hero8 so I may get it.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Yes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts