Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not sure why people are so worried about removing the oem connector. You can easily use some form of aftermarket connectors and easily go back to stock later. Seems counterintuitive to sacrifice the speaker to save the connector if you someday want to go back to stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In response to BruceL, I keep the treble turned down to -4 now.

Pilk - exactly, I can’t imagine if I was going to sell or trade-in the truck I would go through the trouble of removing the aftermarket speakers and putting the stocks back in.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,131 Posts
Not sure why people are so worried about removing the oem connector. You can easily use some form of aftermarket connectors and easily go back to stock later. Seems counterintuitive to sacrifice the speaker to save the connector if you someday want to go back to stock.
I totally agree my friend...makes no sense at all to butcher the OEM speaker when there are far easier ways to connect the new speaker to the factory harness connector if you really wanted to. I do agree with @apex72 that, when I sell my truck, I am not going to remove any of the new Hertz speakers since it won't be worth my time or energy to go back to stock. I have kept my OEM's, but I am looking to just throw them in the trash since they will never be used again.

Reactions: MarGar5 and Pilk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depending on where you live there may be an opportunity to recycle the OEM speakers. There are events near me all the time where you just pull up, someone grabs your box of stuff and you’re in and out in 10 min. I usually go a few times per year.

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
31 Posts
I totally agree my friend...makes no sense at all to butcher the OEM speaker when there are far easier ways to connect the new speaker to the factory harness connector if you really wanted to. I do agree with @apex72 that, when I sell my truck, I am not going to remove any of the new Hertz speakers since it won't be worth my time or energy to go back to stock. I have kept my OEM's, but I am looking to just throw them in the trash since they will never be used again.
No one is gonna be putting the stock speakers back in and they have a proprietary connector..... If you can use it for something, then what's the big deal?? Locally, the availability for car audio connectors and parts is not like it was 20 years ago. Best Buy had squat for selection.

We all buy stuff from Crutchfield because it comes with the adapters and harnesses. If the adapters aren't available, then what's the point of buying from them? Yes, they have great customer service, been using them for 30 years....

I have no idea why a harness adapter has not been made for Honda center speaker and tweeters yet. I'm guessing no one would butcher their dash wiring if one was available. That's why I butchered the speaker and made my own.

Keep on Cannibalizing!

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
No one is gonna be putting the stock speakers back in and they have a proprietary connector..... If you can use it for something, then what's the big deal?? Locally, the availability for car audio connectors and parts is not like it was 20 years ago. Best Buy had squat for selection.

We all buy stuff from Crutchfield because it comes with the adapters and harnesses. If the adapters aren't available, then what's the point of buying from them? Yes, they have great customer service, been using them for 30 years....

I have no idea why a harness adapter has not been made for Honda center speaker and tweeters yet. I'm guessing no one would butcher their dash wiring if one was available. That's why I butchered the speaker and made my own.

Keep on Cannibalizing!
To each their own, but there was a much better...and easier way to accomplish the same objective. A Thomas & Betts crimp on, or solder, terminal would have done the trick and you just plug that right into the factory harness pins and it would have taken you all of 30 seconds.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
93 Posts
That's exactly what I did.
On a side note I liked the sound after swapping the center but when I did the tweeters ouch, like ice picks in my ears. Have to turn the treble down almost full in order to cut those highs.
Must be a Bruce thing (that’s also my first name). Have a look at my post #76 above. Even with the treble fully turned down the Hertz tweeters were still far too bright.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
1,308 Posts
On a side note I liked the sound after swapping the center but when I did the tweeters ouch, like ice picks in my ears. Have to turn the treble down almost full in order to cut those highs.
Must be a Bruce thing (that’s also my first name). Have a look at my post #76 above. Even with the treble fully turned down the Hertz tweeters were still far too bright.
This goes back to what Mythos mentioned in his post (quoted below). Because the OEM speakers are poor quality, the OEM DSP has to compensate for those as well as the usual issues associated with car installation (non-optimal speaker placements, reflections, etc). So swap the OEM speakers to better quality ones and the OEM Head Unit / Amp is no longer producing optimal output for the new speakers. And turning down the treble is just part of compensating for this (a very crude form of equalization/tuning).

But as anyone who has replace ANY of their OEM speakers will tell you, the speakers that come with these vehicles look like they were made for 50 cents, tiny magnets, cheap thin paper, lots of plastic, what is REALLY amazing is that the sound as good as the do, with such cheap construction! To get great sound you MUST upgrade the Amplifier, any of you who have swapped out to new speakers, will see a moderate improvement, but as the OEM DSP/AMP is engineered for the OEM speakers, the crossover points in the DSP are NOT optimized for the replacement speakers you added!
To get "good" sound, as Mythos mentioned, you need aftermarket Amp/DSP. However, obviously "good" is subjective. Many are more than happy with original OEM sound and many are happy with just replacing speakers and tweaking settings.

But once you hear how much better the sound could be with a relatively modest outlay, it's hard to stop at just speakers. Unless you're like my wife of course; she will happily listen to music on an Echo Dot :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
A follow-up to my initial post:

The new Hertz X165 door speakers came today. Measured their impedance and it was right at 4 ohms. I installed them both into the doors and fired up the radio and wallah...the speakers fired up and sounded amazing compared to the factory OEMs. Therefore, what everyone needs to know (at least on the 2021-2022) is that impedance DOES matter on this digital amp. If you replace your door speakers, make sure you are buying TRUE 4-ohm speakers.

Loving the sound in this truck now and highly recommend the upgrade my friends. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and an upcoming New Year!
Did you or anyone else that installed the Hertz door speakers have to cut the factory grill? One of the notes on the Crutchfield site say this needs done but I didn't notice any interference when putting the door panel back on so I didn't bother trying to cut it.

Also would it be worth putting any type of foam gasket between the door and adapter, adapter and speaker or both?

·
Premium Member
2020 RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
290 Posts
Did you or anyone else that installed the Hertz door speakers have to cut the factory grill? One of the notes on the Crutchfield site say this needs done but I didn't notice any interference when putting the door panel back on so I didn't bother trying to cut it.

Also would it be worth putting any type of foam gasket between the door and adapter, adapter and speaker or both?
1) No, didn't cut anything
2) If you're doing a full-blown SQ build proper gasketing is a must(as is not using cheap plastic speaker rings). If you're just tossing in a pair of speakers with the adapter rings that come from Crutchfield you'll never hear any difference by adding gaskets.

A speaker's ability to accurately reproduce sound is limited by its cabinet and car doors are notoriously bad speaker cabinets. If you want to see what's involved in getting the best sound out of a car door check out this video and the Part 3 that follows: HOW TO: Proper Automotive Sound Treatment - Part 2 - Door Skins

And then there's the amplification and equalization it takes to get truly great sound in a motor vehicle....It's a rabbit hole that not many go down and the ROI gets exponentially smaller the further you go.

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Tweeters are HERTZ DT 24.3 - $80
The Center Channel is Hertz DCX 87.3 - $90 (I have my other one if you want it for $40 shipped to save you some bucks)
The Doors will be HERTZ X165

Happy to answer any questions you have about the install my friend. Let me know if you want my other center channel DCX87.3 as it makes no sense for you to spend $90 and have one left over yourself :)
I went with the same speakers for tweeters, center and doors. Finally got around to installing everything last weekend and am very happy. Before I could barely hear the tweeters even when sticking my head right by them. Sitting normally it didn't really sound like the center channel or tweeters were even working. Now it's obvious all the speakers are doing their job.

I'm not all that big of an audiophile and to be honest the stock speakers were fine for me since I don't spend much time in my truck as I have a short commute to work. However I really wanted something that would improve the listening of audiobooks when I go on vacation and I think this is going to be a huge improvement. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I went with the same speakers for tweeters, center and doors. Finally got around to installing everything last weekend and am very happy. Before I could barely hear the tweeters even when sticking my head right by them. Sitting normally it didn't really sound like the center channel or tweeters were even working. Now it's obvious all the speakers are doing their job.

I'm not all that big of an audiophile and to be honest the stock speakers were fine for me since I don't spend much time in my truck as I have a short commute to work. However I really wanted something that would improve the listening of audiobooks when I go on vacation and I think this is going to be a huge improvement. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
You are very welcome!

·
Registered
86 Posts
A follow-up to my initial post:

The new Hertz X165 door speakers came today. Measured their impedance and it was right at 4 ohms. I installed them both into the doors and fired up the radio and wallah...the speakers fired up and sounded amazing compared to the factory OEMs. Therefore, what everyone needs to know (at least on the 2021-2022) is that impedance DOES matter on this digital amp. If you replace your door speakers, make sure you are buying TRUE 4-ohm speakers.

Loving the sound in this truck now and highly recommend the upgrade my friends. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and an upcoming New Year!
Is the door speakers you replaced with the Hertz x165 full range coming out of tweeter and woofer or only a mid range signal.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
The speaker is a full range speaker. However, very little treble comes out of it based on the amplifiers cross-over signaling.

Reactions: MarGar5
81 - 98 of 98 Posts