Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thoughts on your choice?

We have been running Subarus for almost two decades and truly love them, currently we have a 2018 3.6 Touring
But after getting rid of our Speed Test Solitaire essay writer last pickup about a year ago we miss not having a bed
So we've been tossing around the idea of replacing an Outback with a Ridgeline

So does anyone here have any firsthand experience & thoughts on making the swap from OB to RL?

Our driving is typically about:
60% city/highway/mountain blacktop
20% forest service roads
10% desert trails
10% unimproved
From about 5500' up to 10000'

My biggest concern from crawling around them in dealer lots is the clearance and lack of protection
We run F&R skid plates on the OB and scrape, drag them regularly, nothing too crazy but they show scars

·
Super Moderator
5,368 Posts
I own a 2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R and a 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

The Subaru has a few advantages over the Ridgeline:
  • Outback has a little more ground clearance than the Ridgeline.
  • Outback has far more rear seat leg room than the Ridgeline and the rear seat reclines slightly
  • Outback has an advantage on steep mountain highways because of the paddle shifters (downshifting). That advantage is negated, if you opt for the 2020 Ridgeline which also has paddle shifters. The Ridgeline does have D4 mode which provides a bit of engine braking.
  • Body integrity of the Outback is better - nice smooth welds, no leaks, body panel fitment and alignment is better
The Ridgeline has the advantage in several areas:
  • Cargo area in the Ridgeline is greater and is more versatile (fold up rear seats, open cargo bed, hidden trunk)
  • The transmission in the Ridgeline (6 sp or 9 sp) is preferable to the CVT in the Outback
  • The Ridgeline is more capable for towing
Those are just a few things we have noticed while owning both vehicles. Ride quality is about the same for both vehicles. The Subaru has a better 0-60 mph time (6.8 vs 7.3). The only limitation I can see for the Ridgeline is off-roading. I am thankful to have two versatile vehicles in the garage. Personally, I don't think you would miss the Outback.

You can never overstate the advantage of having the extra cargo area in the Ridgeline. Recently, we hauled home 5 large bookcases. The Ridgeline held 4 of them, while the Outback only had room for 1.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have both. 2017 Outback and 2019 RTL/E. We are retired, do mostly city driving. Love road trips. I am a back roads explorer. Looking for former settlements, towns, mines, etc. lots of gravel and dirt roads. We hardly drive the Subaru anymore. RL is roomier , quieter, and just overall more comfortable. For winter driving, there is no difference in how they do. The bed for hauling things is superb. Love the two way tailgate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm debating the two also. Both are consider "lifestyle" vehicles as I don't really go off pavement, tow, or carry anything outside of Costco.

On the above replies, would your answer change if we are comparing base model to base model, both 2020+? Outback with 2.5 NA (non-turbo) vs. Ridgeline Sport.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts