Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Ridgeline sits outside, and I have issues getting to the middle of the windshield to clean the ice off. I have a long handled scraper, but it's hard to exert much force when the ice is hard. I could leave it run until it warms up, but I prefer not to do that.

Snow and ice windshield cover makers say they will keep the windshield clear, but it looks like I would have a problem getting it connected on one side, flipping it over to the other and then connecting it there. I also wonder about removing it in the morning.

If I were really tall this wouldn't be as much of a problem, but I stopped growing up quite a few years ago. :act002:

So, does anyone have first-hand experience with using a windshield cover for snow and ice?

- Mike

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have family members that use windshield covers with success. Theirs tuck into the front door jambs rather than adhering with magnets. They got one for me too, but I found that it was not really worth the trouble on a taller vehicle, for the same reason that you foresee. It is a bother to get across. Plus, once it got moisture on the glass side, the next usage would lead to an ice pattern that, while extremely thin, had a pattern that impeded visibility.

Alternatives:

1. Use a kitchen step stool to give yourself extra height.

2. Use a AC car interior heater, left unpowered but pointed at the middle of the windshield when you exit the vehicle. Leave it on a timer or activate it when you start clearing snow/ice. It will soften up the ice for you. These things never appear to have caught on and might be hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I had one in my Highlander and loved it. It was the one that goes in the doors as mentioned above. Definitely going to get one for my RL. Since the wipers don't lift up like most vehicles, having a cover over them would certainly do the trick.

This is the one that I had, but for the Highlander:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-77S-Hond...a|Model:Ridgeline&hash=item2a34189a94&vxp=mtr

I was able to pull it over the wipers and cowl to keep the ice and snow off of them.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
672 Posts
Start the truck with the defroster on when you go out to clean it off. By the time you do the whole vehicle and go back to the windshield it should be warmed up slightly and easy to get off. This is the pattern i used for 6 years in Alaska. Or get a remote start and start it like 5 minutes before you go out for more improved results, but you said you dont like to let it warm up. I use a pretty heavy duty telescoping scraper/brush combo i got at Costco a few years ago. It extends to about 4 feet.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just get a remote starter. By the time you nickle and dime it and frustrate yourself you'll spend the same amount. Got a garage now but used them for years without a problem.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
When they are calling for freezing rain, I put a tarp over the windshield and hold it down with the 2 front doors. I also have one of those big snow brushes the dealerships use. Once I remove the snow/ice off the tarp, I take it off and voila!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I used one forever on my Explorer and it worked FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!! It was awesome.
So of course I bought one for the Ridge. Well dont ask me how, but some how it flooded my interior. So I never used it since.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
With the wipers covered, the arms don't get wet or snowy and freeze. The frozen wipers is always the problem for me. I hate when I hit the switch and the wiper cleans the top few inches of the glass but nothing else as they are frozen.
Never an issue with one of these covers. Neither a remote starter nor waiting till last will fix this.
When that cover is removed there is nothing on the glass or wipers at all.

Whatever works I guess..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I did some looking for an in-car heater with a timer and only found expensive ones for truck cabs.

Looks like I should give a cover a try and see how it works for me. This morning it was 10F and it took a fair bit of scraping to clean the windshield off. But I didn't have to buck lots of snow, so I really can't complain!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had one for my previous vehicle and it worked great so I thought I should get one for my Ridgeline too. Well, they are made from the same material as a tarp so I bought a tarp on sale and cut it into the shape of the Ridgeline windshield with extra length to tuck into each of the front doors. Cost me less for the tarp than a pre-cut windshield cover. I use it all the time. Just roll it out and tuck the bottom under the windshield wiper to hold it in place and tuck the flap into the drivers door and shut it. Repeat on the other side. Much easier and quicker than trying to scrape in the morning. If it rains and freezes it still peels off no problem. I would not go without mine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, I use a Windshield cover everyday, as my RTS has no garage. I paid about $50.00 for mine from autosportcatalog.com. It has a silver foil reflective attached to a black plastic backing. There are two flaps with on either end of the shield that tuck inside the doors. the ends of the flaps have a braided belt that secures together to ensure that the cover won't blow off if the front doors are opened. Windshield cover comes with it's own storage sack for storage. I only use the storage sack for when I put the shield away for the season. Usually I just roll it up and place it on the floor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in remote Alaska where we get freezing rain, blowing slushy snow etc. And -30 to -40F now and then.

LL Bean used to sell a heavy vinyl? coated windshield cover but the one I have isn't quite long enough for the Ridgeline - great on the Subaru and it won't freeze down.

I got a black nylon and metallic cover on Ebay sized for the Ridgeline and it works ok. This one will freeze down if you put the fabric side to the window. The "wings" are clamped in the door and it has straps that clip together inside the cab. I usually don't bother w the strap - its a hassle. This cover works but at times strong wind has loosened it and made it ineffective. Snow sneaks under it still so it isn't perfect, not as good as the LL Bean version but it helps. I also have a sturdy snow brush that has an extendable handle I got from Napa.

I think this is the brand of cover. I have to say the wings on the LL Bean are closer to the full height of the windshield and cover and works better: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-77S-Hond...s=Model:Ridgeline&hash=item2a34189a94&vxp=mtr

I have to add that I HATE the deep wiper well of the Ridgeline and wonder how those without garages cope. VERY hard to clear out. We pay $7 / gallon for gas - I don't support letting the car idle long enough for the defroster to fully clear badly iced windows. Love my garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts