Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Run CarPlay without plugging in. $160 with good reviews on their website.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This seems like a solution looking for a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I find it inconvenient to take out my phone and plug it in to use CarPlay. Then, when I get where I'm going, I have to remember to unplug the phone and bring it with me. I don't always remember. I would prefer if my phone stayed in my pocket and automatically connected to CarPlay every time I got in. I also use wireless charging at home, and friends think it's nutty because it's not much trouble to plug in. But, the cables and connectors are a bother to me. Also consider that Apple is talking about removing the Lightning connector from future iPhones. That would mean that you couldn't use CarPlay at all WITHOUT a wireless adaptor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just now ordered. Will update back when I receive it.

Read positive things about it on a Jeep forum last month.

Have a 19 RTLE but had wireless CarPlay in my Tacoma for a year via an Alpine head unit. Wireless is the only way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
FYI, there appear to be several similar looking devices on amazon for around $60. Look up Carlinkit. I’d guess they’re all the same unit under different names.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On other forums, people have critical things to say about the CarLinKit (glitches, works poorly). I have no direct experience. On Amazon, it has 20% - 40% "one star" ratings. If you believe their website, everyone loves the CPLAY2air device and service. I do note that their address is a UPS Store and the instructions come in English and Chinese. So, it is probably a Chinese product from an American distributor.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I find it inconvenient to take out my phone and plug it in to use CarPlay. Then, when I get where I'm going, I have to remember to unplug the phone and bring it with me. I don't always remember. I would prefer if my phone stayed in my pocket and automatically connected to CarPlay every time I got in. I also use wireless charging at home, and friends think it's nutty because it's not much trouble to plug in. But, the cables and connectors are a bother to me. Also consider that Apple is talking about removing the Lightning connector from future iPhones. That would mean that you couldn't use CarPlay at all WITHOUT a wireless adaptor.
Yeah I recently read that the charging port may be gone on next year’s phone. It’s also why I put in Wireless CarPlay in the truck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah I recently read that the charging port may be gone on next year’s phone. It’s also why I put in Wireless CarPlay in the truck

That may be true, but I would find it hard to believe that Apple will do so without providing support for CarPlay. I guess we'll find out next September.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never underestimate Apple's willingness to make a bold move like that. They gave up floppy drives, CD drives, and headphone jacks before people were ready for it. Modern car makers are switching to wireless CarPlay in new models. I'm skeptical that Apple will let some "used" truck owners steer their policy decisions. Just buy a new truck when you trade in your iPhone.:sneaky:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That may be true, but I would find it hard to believe that Apple will do so without providing support for CarPlay. I guess we'll find out next September.
I know Apple very well. They will be more than happy to sell you some kind USB adapter to continue using CarPlay. Knowing them it will be $199 or $249 + the price of your new phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just now ordered. Will update back when I receive it.

Read positive things about it on a Jeep forum last month.

Have a 19 RTLE but had wireless CarPlay in my Tacoma for a year via an Alpine head unit. Wireless is the only way to go.

Update. My order has shipped. Direct ship from China as another poster suggested.

More to come when it arrives.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update. My order has shipped. Direct ship from China as another poster suggested.

More to come when it arrives.

Received and installed. Used for only 15 minutes but am happy thus far. Hey slight bit longer to connect and wired and maybe a little Lag when moving between apps but I think I’m being hypersensitive in. what I’m looking for.

I have a buddy with a Volkswagen in Canada he bought one as well and installed it yesterday and has the same experience very very slight lag but very happy with it and it has worked well now for 24 hours for him.

I have Velcro in mine underneath the bottom of the cubby consul where the CD would go And I am keeping my USB charging mat there as well so I can lay my phone down have a charge and use CarPlay without fooling with cables
IMG_8365.jpg
IMG_8366.jpg
IMG_8367.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts