Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a 2020 CRV and looking for input. Likes, dislikes.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have two in the family 2010 and 2019 currently.

Likes? It's one of those "perfect" cars that does everything right, being honest.

Dislikes? The excitement after getting a brand new car ends about 20 minutes.

There's the oil dilution issue you can research with the 1.5T.

Do test drive it to see if you like the CVT. I do like it. The smoothness and "acceleration" is great. You have to sort of learn to drive a CVT and know when the transmission is at it's best. I actually think a CVT accelerates faster off the line.

I would also suggest test driving 2 or 3 of the same CRV with CVT. When I got my 17 Accord with CVT, the first car did put a shadow of doubt if I really was going to be happy with it. It just feels "loose." The 2nd Accord's CVT felt "tight" and right, so that was it. Both cars showroom new. One had 17 miles the other 36 miles. Same model, trim, and color. But the CVT felt different between the two cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have two in the family 2010 and 2019 currently.

Likes? It's one of those "perfect" cars that does everything right, being honest.

Dislikes? The excitement after getting a brand new car ends about 20 minutes.

There's the oil dilution issue you can research with the 1.5T.

Do test drive it to see if you like the CVT. I do like it. The smoothness and "acceleration" is great. You have to sort of learn to drive a CVT and know when the transmission is at it's best. I actually think a CVT accelerates faster off the line.

I would also suggest test driving 2 or 3 of the same CRV with CVT. When I got my 17 Accord with CVT, the first car did put a shadow of doubt if I really was going to be happy with it. It just feels "loose." The 2nd Accord's CVT felt "tight" and right, so that was it. Both cars showroom new. One had 17 miles the other 36 miles. Same model, trim, and color. But the CVT felt different between the two cars.

Thanks for the reply.

We already have a CVT vehicle - '14' Forester, which we want to replace. Just got it back from 2 recalls - rear coil springs and brake switch replacements.

Researched the oil dilution issue already. Actually did a bunch of research, just wanted some real world opinions.

Interesting to hear of differences in same model CVT's.

Seen a lot of reviews of the 2020 CRVs where they complain about the mediocre acceleration yet my research shows the CRV holds its own in the 0 - 60 mph tests?

·
Registered
47 Posts
When people give up their Civics for CRVs then wondered why it's slow. IMO, I find it to be ok, meaning just right for the car and the purpose of it, for what I want it to be. I appreciate the size, space, driving nature, and the MPG.

There was a V6 RAV4 a few years ago. That was a rocket.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When people give up their Civics for CRVs then wondered why it's slow. IMO, I find it to be ok, meaning just right for the car and the purpose of it, for what I want it to be. I appreciate the size, space, driving nature, and the MPG.

There was a V6 RAV4 a few years ago. That was a rocket.
Does your '19' Crv have the 1.5 turbo?

Will be retired by the end of the month. Looking to get a long lasting, reliable vehicle we like to drive. Don't need a rocket but don't want a dog either. If the performance is in line with my RL or the Forester then I'd be happy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, 1.5 turbo. EX-L. I think most owners will be happy with the power-performance.

The old 2.4L I4 was a bit "underpowered" in the old CRV. I also had a 06 Accord with the same engine. The K24 was reliable as we all expect Honda engines to be. Don't want to go off topic, but I'm not sure about the turbo's reliability. Or maybe redefine what reliability means. When I was young, I want cars to last 200K+ miles.

Now, I don't exactly want to own and drive super old cars that are past their useful life. Meaning, I would want a newer car with better tech and safety features, which has become more important to me.

·
Administrator
15,223 Posts
CR-V's are extremely practical. They are comfortable, ergonomic, economical, handle well, and make efficient use of available space.

If you're looking for something a bit more upscale and faster at the expense of space and fuel economy, consider a Mazda CX-5.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The Gen 5 CRV is a great car in all kinds of ways.....thoroughly enjoyed our '17 for 3 years. Would still have it if it were not for the fact that my old back has deteriorated to a point over the past 3 years that the seat height in the CRV was too low for easy/comfortable ingress/egress. So, I traded-in the '17 CRV EXL on a '17 Rigi with half the miles.

The G2 Rigi seat height is just right for my old back. The Gen 5 CRV is as handy as a pocket on a shirt and I do miss the 25-26 mpg around town driving and all those safety nannies. If only they made a 3-4 inch lift kit for the CRV that didn't kill the ride quality.:eek:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CR-V's are extremely practical. They are comfortable, ergonomic, economical, handle well, and make efficient use of available space.

If you're looking for something a bit more upscale and faster at the expense of space and fuel economy, consider a Mazda CX-5.
Yes, a CX-5 is about the only other SUV we're considering

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Gen 5 CRV is a great car in all kinds of ways.....thoroughly enjoyed our '17 for 3 years. Would still have it if it were not for the fact that my old back has deteriorated to a point over the past 3 years that the seat height in the CRV was too low for easy/comfortable ingress/egress. So, I traded-in the '17 CRV EXL on a '17 Rigi with half the miles.

The G2 Rigi seat height is just right for my old back. The Gen 5 CRV is as handy as a pocket on a shirt and I do miss the 25-26 mpg around town driving and all those safety nannies. If only they made a 3-4 inch lift kit for the CRV that didn't kill the ride quality.:eek:
Getting old sucks! One of the deciding factors will be ease of access for the wife, who's both knees are bad. She likes the access to our Forester. Time to schedule a test drive...never thought I'd have to say that!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Of the 4 compact SUVs we test drove back in ‘17 (RAV4, Forester, CX5, CRV) the Forester had the easiest ingress/egress due to seat height being a little higher. The CVT in the Forester however, killed it for me and the rear seat ingress/egress on the CX5 killed it for both of us. The local ‘yota dealership offered $1500 less for our trade-in than the local Honda dealership.

Putting the small idiosyncrasies aside on all 4, they were all great vehicles and top rated by CR. The CRV at the time had a slightly quicker 0-60 mph and a slightly higher mpg than the other 3. I’ve read about the 1.5L oil dilution and weak heater......neither were an issue on our CRV. Again, we thought it was a great vehicle.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you know about the fuel dilution in cold climates with short commutes not much more to know. It does well in all the tests/comparisons and CRV's are ultimate go to vehicles for many We have Odysseys and CRV's at the same time when the kids were growing up and we used the CRV's most of the time. Odysseys were great for shuttling kids around and Home Depot runs but CRV did everything else better and had AWD.. If you don't have any experience with a CVT be sure to see if works for you and whoever is going to be driving it.. We have a 15 and previously had an 09 and an 02 and after the 15 I would like to stay from a CVT unless it's a hybrid.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The ‘17 CRV was our 1st and only CVT vehicle.....maybe a week getting used to it. Kinda weird, under normal acceleration, to see the tach just sit there at 2K rpm while the speedo would climb quickly. At about 1800 rpm you could feel the turblow.

·
Registered
549 Posts
We test drove a RAV4 hybrid back in ‘17.......wasn’t real crazy about the CVT. The Honda CVT is about as as good as they get, from what I’ve read.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were looking at small CUVs, I'd seriouy check out the hybrid CRV and hybrid RAV4.
Considered those, but not sure of long term maintenance issues such as the batteries. Supposedly they're good for at least 8 yrs., 100,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
If I were looking at small CUVs, I'd seriouy check out the hybrid CRV and hybrid RAV4.
Not that much difference in price from their non-hybrid counterparts. Those mileage figures (41/38) are outstanding. And for the same reason the Toyota dealer offered you less for your trade, the RAV4 will have great resale value should your needs change a bit later. Entry/exit is so important for retirees. Some vehicles have second rows that are barely accessible for a stiff old man. Have fund shopping, @jakeman. I personally prefer the location of the shift knob on the RAV4 to the placement in the CRV.

We always bought Toyota's because they were a little less expensive than Honda's (which my sister owned), but I am not sure that is the case anymore. If I were to get rid of my RL, I would certainly consider either of the hybrid vehicles mentioned.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My brother and his gf are having some seat comfort issues with their 2019 EX-L. On long drives they get the pressure point feeling in their bottom a lot like sitting on those airplane seats for too long.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My brother and his gf are having some seat comfort issues with their 2019 EX-L. On long drives they get the pressure point feeling in their bottom a lot like sitting on those airplane seats for too long.
In the process of scheduling a test drive. Would like to see the difference between the cloth vs leather seats

1 - 20 of 34 Posts