Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E, I can get everything to work with Apple CarPlay except Google Maps. I'm using an iPhone 8.

The Google Maps icon displays and when I select it I see Google Maps display for a split second and I get the attached image to display.
I contacted Honda and they are pretty much clueless. So I'm wondering if anyone has run into this situation with a resolution because I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,900 Posts
Reactions: Coevers

·
Registered
44 Posts
On my 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E, I can get everything to work with Apple CarPlay except Google Maps. I'm using an iPhone 8.

The Google Maps icon displays and when I select it I see Google Maps display for a split second and I get the attached image to display.

I contacted Honda and they are pretty much clueless. So I'm wondering if anyone has run into this situation with a resolution because I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

I use Waze, Apple maps and Google maps all successfully and simultaneously (sometimes - mostly Waze only) on my 2019 Black Edition with iPhone 6S running completely current apps and iOS. Make sure each of your apps is current. Waze wouldn’t show up as an available app on my other work iPhone because I had turned off automatic app updates. Once I updated the app it did show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
15 Posts
I had this exact thing happen in mine, it's pretty easy to fix. With the car in park and the phone plugged into carplay, on your phone open google maps, and it should know to take you to a permission screen and you need to check a box that allows google maps to work in carplay. Should be just that easy. For about a week I kept trying to troubleshoot it on my phone, outside the Ridgeline, but you have to currently be plugged in to get to the permission screen.

Hope that helps!

Zach

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zach

That was it, thanks so much. I did the same thing, I had the iPhone disconnected while troubleshooting. Doesn't work too well.

md

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
15 Posts
Glad it worked! Also, now that you have functional Google Maps, just be aware that Apple hasn't allowed Siri to talk to Google Maps, so if you want to use voice controls for navigation through google maps, you have to click the microphone button on the touchscreen, OR, input from your phone.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Yeah Apple doesn't like to play nice with others.

For those who use Android this site has quite a bit ....... but it is all Android, but does explain the hows and whys.

Basically, Android and Apple are both based of Linux and open source language based of Unix and a bit of Qnix (IBM based). Either way, because there are framework differences and so much added to a phone these days, it is not that easy to make alot of these apps so universal. But, this site XDA is a good place for research if so desired to know more. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto.

Glad it worked! Also, now that you have functional Google Maps, just be aware that Apple hasn't allowed Siri to talk to Google Maps, so if you want to use voice controls for navigation through google maps, you have to click the microphone button on the touchscreen, OR, input from your phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts