Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The few times I've used Siri to make calls in my RTL-T, I noticed it often doesn't give you enough time to speak your command (e.g. "Call so and so, home"). I then have to do the long press of the voice button on steering wheel, and try again. It seems to barely give me 2-3 seconds to complete my voice command before beeping at me. Is there a setting somewhere to slow Siri down a little?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
The few times I've used Siri to make calls in my RTL-T, I noticed it often doesn't give you enough time to speak your command (e.g. "Call so and so, home"). I then have to do the long press of the voice button on steering wheel, and try again. It seems to barely give me 2-3 seconds to complete my voice command before beeping at me. Is there a setting somewhere to slow Siri down a little?
It is very annoying. Some folks said they gained better time when they have deleted the vehicle from Carplay and reauthorize (re-setup)... but I didn't have good luck with that, just frustrating. Apple really botched Carplay.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's weird: when I activate Siri on my iPhone 6S (not connected/in my RL), it gives me about 10 seconds to say a command. But when connected to my RL, it initially gives me about 2 secs to say something. Often I'll be a second or two into saying "Call...", when Siri /CarPlay beeps at me. Why is the timing so different when using CarPlay?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
Not sure. But whenever I do want to use Siri, I can barely start my request and then it times out with... "I didn't catch that". I get so miffed that I just sit there and repeatedly hit the button and spew the most vulgar insults constantly and laugh. I hope Apple somehow parses those.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You described it better than me Nervey - that's exactly what happens. I press/hold the button, hear the Siri tone, and barely inhale before she tells me she didn't understand what I said. If she'd just chill for a few seconds, I'd tell her.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think it is a CarPlay issue. Just an issue with Honda's system. I have used CarPlay in other vehicles and don't have the same problem with voice commands, but I definitely experience this same issue in my wife's Civic which has the exact same 8" system as the new RL's. Just tell your dealer about it and/or report it to Honda. Enough complaints and I'm sure there will be a software update at some point.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't think it is a CarPlay issue. Just an issue with Honda's system.
I think you are correct, but for another reason. I do have an iPhone, but have yet to use car play in my RTL-E. I initially used the Honda system to verbally call people, but it began doing exactly what everyone is describing for CarPlay. I have to go in for first oil change and will see if dealer can solve problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have not had an issue with Siri or CarPlay as of yet. I do not use the voice command button i just use "hey Siri" and speak my command and it has been very responsive. I do this for calls or navigation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Used2BSane - thanks for that suggestion! Next time I'm in my RL I'll give that a try. So you're iPhone is configured to always be listening - using the iPhones microphone, not your RL's mic, right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think it's a Ridgeline thing, probably because needing to get past the built-in voice commands to interact with Carplay/Siri. I've found that for the initial Siri command, I need to keep holding the talk button until I am finished speaking. Subsequent interaction related to that command happen as a more natural conversation with no button press and Siri keeps listening while I keep talking.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you use Siri for navigation don’t you get the Apple navigation system, which uses phone data? I don’t think Siri can send commands to the Garmin nav component.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’d you use Siri for navigation don’t you get the Apple navigation system, which uses phone data? I don’t think Siri can send commands to the Garmin nav component.

While you can't send Siri/phone commands directly to the Garmin nav, you can transfer addresses from your phone's clipboard to the nav unit via the HondaLink App and Bluetooth

Just paste the address on your phone into the HondaLink app under "Search for Places" and then click the address when it shows up at the bottom of the map. There is a "send" option to send it to your truck. When it does transfer, a little destination map pin shows up at the top of the infotainment screen and you can swipe down to open it and send it to the navigation.

It's a little slow sometimes, but it does work when the Bluetooth connects to the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts