Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 RLS Ridgeline. Are Ridgeline Tonneaus covers waterproof? Could you recommend a good but not expensive one?

Thanks,
RoyalFellow

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The train of thought in this forum is that no single tonneau is 100% waterproof. You will always have some leakage.

If any mfgr promises as such, keep your hands on your wallet.

That said, the variety of tonneaus are plentiful. Myself, I have the Honda OEM tonneau. Happy with it since I ordered it with my RL. Is another brand better? Maybe but why worry about it. ;)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The train of thought in this forum is that no single tonneau is 100% waterproof. You will always have some leakage.

If any mfgr promises as such, keep your hands on your wallet.

That said, the variety of tonneaus are plentiful. Myself, I have the Honda OEM tonneau. Happy with it since I ordered it with my RL. Is another brand better? Maybe but why worry about it. ;)
What you said......OEM here also......BTW.......RoyalFellow, welcome to the ROC......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the Honda OEM hard ($1700.00)cover for my 2009 and it leaks like a sieve. The leak is right where it folds.

I'm looking for any aftermarket cover that will keep my bed contents dry.

If anyone wants to buy my Honda hard tonneau cover, I'll give them a real good price!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have an Extang tri-fold cover. If the truck is out in the rain, the only spot place rain gets in is near the cab in each corner by the box. The rain follows the ridges in the box, so basically the middle 85% of the box is dry and 2 little streams of water follow the grooves out the back of the box. If I spend some time on it I think I could fix it, but we are getting into the snow season soooo.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Within the boundaries of reasonable, the Truxedo is waterproof. Under driving rain conditions, it leaks around the periphery, especially near the cab. Under most conditions it's dry in the bed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have the OEM on my 09, but had a soft cover on my 08. They both allow the same amount of water (very little around the sides) but the OEM is better for security. Better in the fact that it will keep someone from cutting it with a knife, but anyone who knows anything about them can get in with a screwdriver. The hard cover was already on my ridge, but knowing what I know now, I would buy another soft cover if I had to pay for one. Just my 02

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I purchased the Honda OEM hard ($1700.00)cover for my 2009 and it leaks like a sieve. The leak is right where it folds.

I'm looking for any aftermarket cover that will keep my bed contents dry.

If anyone wants to buy my Honda hard tonneau cover, I'll give them a real good price!!
I think yours is damaged becaus all others with the oem get small leaks on the sides and back.:confused:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
It leaks like a sieve. The leak is right where it folds.
I think Mr Bigs is correct. I've never experienced water leaks at the fold but rather at the forward section corner where it meets the bed just below the window.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2009 with the OEM single fold cover from Honda. It leaks somewhat at the hinges on each side. I put all valuables and things that can get wet either in the lockable trunk (whick is waterproof) or in the cab.

On another note, Anyone having problems with the Honda tonneau cover lock seizing. After being replaced once it has seized again. Dont want to keep chasing Honda on this. Do I have to keep lubricating it with silicone spray or WD-40 all year long? lousy design. The key is too small and flimsy. Feels like it will snap. This back and forth to the dealer stuff is a pain at times.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I just bought a 2008 RLS Ridgeline. Are Ridgeline Tonneaus covers waterproof? Could you recommend a good but not expensive one?

Thanks,
RoyalFellow
Welcome to the ROC:cheerleader: I have the Retrax which I installed myself and sealed around on installation:cool: It still has some minor leaks but they all do:eek: My personal opinion the OEM is a over priced piece of crap:act035: All the after market covers are better than the OEM and cost less;) Do a search for tonneau and make your choice from there:D Good luck and enjoy your ride:act035:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a Torza top which I love and it like almost all other leaks very slightly up near the cab in the corners under hard rain conditions or extended rain. Once you know that you just pack the stuff up by the cab that can get wet. Mine has never leaked more than 1/4 cup in each corner. (That was a rain so hard I almost had to pull off the road due to unsafe conditions.)

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Using a mat will help. Most of the water that may get in will dribble down the sides and under the mat, down the floor channels and out the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts