Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washing the RL this weekend I noticed that the center hubs on my front wheels are starting to discolor. They have a white shadowing on the chrome look finish. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Administrator
20,293 Posts
One of the center caps on my '10 was discolored while it was still sitting on the lot. I had them replace it before I took delivery. Several months later, they are all starting to take on a slightly blotchy/yellowed/milky appearance. No chemicals other than car wash and water ever come into contact with any part of the wheels (i.e., no tire shine).

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Ridgeline with HPV Package in Pearl White
2,071 Posts
My 2010 is doing the same thing after having it almost a year. Just soap and water here too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
2 of mine were blotchy the other 2 where nice and shiny, so I originally thought some wise ass at the shop popped them off and replaced them with older ones. But, don't think so now that I hear others are having the same problem. I ordered new ones, only about 6 bucks each, and put a good coat of wax on them before installing, we'll see how these hold up.

·
Administrator
20,293 Posts
Looks like inferior quality coating over the aluminum that isn't holding up to moisture and/or UV. May also be contamination of the aluminum before it is coated since it appears to be under the clear coat instead of on the surface. I had a similar problem with virtually identical center caps (without the "H") 18 years ago on my '92 Grand Am.

The '06 Ridgeline had plastic caps with a molded "H" before they changed to aluminum with a painted "H" in '07 (cost savings at work I'm sure).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Sorry to hear others are having the issue. Only soap and water here too. It is definitely under the clear coat. I'll see what the dealer says about replacing them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same here on my '09. Looking gray shadow like on all four. I aften thought I did something but just soap and water.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Can't help ya', I painted mine not too long ago! :)

(Yeah, I know - terribly helpful - shoulda kept quiet)

- Chip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts