Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a post from someone on facebook saying their shifter console lights were out. That was one thing I thought was odd on mine from the beginning that when I shift into P, R, N... that the letters didn't lite up. So, are the gear letters supposed to be backlit?

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,607 Posts
On mine (see sig block) all of the console letters are uniformly backlit at night (maybe day, too, I can't tell?) but nothing changes to highlight / indicate the selected gear. See gear indicator on the instrument panel.

BTW my '14 Escape was the same, in later years Ford dropped the console-letter backlight completely (probably saved ~$0.08 per unit) though the translucent letter-mask remained. Lotsa forum guff about that bit of penny-pinching as you can imagine.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
On mine (see sig block) all of the console letters are uniformly backlit at night (maybe day, too, I can't tell?) but nothing changes to highlight / indicate the selected gear.
(iPhone SE) pics or it didn't happen ....

My normal dashlight brightness setting (a tad over half-bright, sorta like me :LOL: ):

Minimum dashlight brightness setting:

Both with gear in Park, another gear makes no difference; iPhone SE didn't capture the differences between other dashlight brightness settings, but they're visible to the naked eye. The spurious small blue and red dots are a reflection of something in the total darkness of a rainy early morning.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just to clarify the PRNDL did not light up for me in the first 500 miles of ownership. (even with headlights on and on full brightness setting) My kids ipad was in the center console and it must have shifted and I couldn't open the lid, after a few bangs on the side/top and back of the center console the lid was able to open, iPad was removed and what do you know? the PRNDL lid up when I turned on the head lights!

Has been working ever since and looks just like the pictures CentexG2 posted. I have a 17 Sport and I initially thought it didn't light up cause I had a lower trim but it must had a loose connection from factory.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looking for a pattern ....

No backlight
?????????? (@lpdjshaw - year / trim / country info?)
2018 RTL-E (@Summerprophet - is yours a Canadian or US RL?)
2017 RTL US (stevenm5215)

Yes backlight
2019 RTL-E US (Centex)
2017 Sport US (17sport)

EDIT - no more looking for a pattern - see posts below

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looking for a pattern .... UPDATED TALLY

No backlight
?????????? (@lpdjshaw - year / trim / country info?)
2018 RTL-E (@Summerprophet - is yours a Canadian or US RL?)
2017 US RTL (stevenm5215)

Yes backlight
2019 US RTL-E (Centex)
2018 US BE (gti16vman)
2017 US BE (BrandoRex)
2017 CA BE (UnicornKaz)
2017 US RTL-E (MaddogTDI)
2017 US Sport (17sport)

EDIT - done with the 'tally' .... see posts below

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
2019 US RTL - the PRNDL does light up, and it varies with the brightness of the dash light settings. I can still see it barely lit up when i turn the dash lights to full dim.

I normally keep the dash lights at the midway setting, except i will dim them more if I'm doing extended night driving.

OT: 38F degrees here yesterday, and -9F (-32F "feels like") this morning....and people wonder why i wanted a truck that fits in the garage. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
545 Posts
2018 US RTL-E, the PRNDL lights are backlit on mine as well.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
OT: 38F degrees here yesterday, and -9F (-32F "feels like") this morning....and people wonder why i wanted a truck that fits in the garage. :rolleyes:
When my SD friends ask me when I am moving back to SD, I say "what part of -30F do you not understand"? But, I will be back in July for my 50th HS reunion. Put the Grain Belt on ice!! ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The wiring diagrams show an LED is used to illuminate the "PRNDL" on the shift lever on all trims.
BINGO, methinks that's all that's needed to demonstrate that the folks without the backlight are suffering a bad LED (or loose / erratic connection as suggested by @17sport in his post # 6 above).

No more "looking for a pattern" / 'model / year / etc. tally-ing' by me to follow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts