Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if the RL is affected but interesting story anyway....

Millions of cars and trucks are vulnerable to hacking through wireless technologies that could jeopardize driver safety and privacy, a report released late Sunday says.

As vehicles grow increasingly connected through wireless networks and become more dependent on sophisticated electronic systems, Congress and federal regulators are worried about the potential for hackers to interfere with vehicle functions. The report overseen by Sen. Ed Markey, D-Massachusetts, says vehicles are vulnerable to hacking through wireless networks, smartphones, infotainment systems like OnStar — even a malicious CD popped into a car stereo.

Its release comes after CBS News' "60 Minutes" on Sunday aired a segment showing how vehicles can be subjects of remote hacking. Just last month, BMW AG said it had fixed a security flaw that could have allowed up to 2.2 million vehicles to have their doors remotely opened by hackers.

Markey cited studies showing hackers can get into the controls of some popular vehicles, "causing them to suddenly accelerate, turn, kill the brakes, activate the horn, control the headlights, and modify the speedometer and gas gauge readings. Additional concerns came from the rise of navigation and other features that record and send location or driving history information."

"Drivers have come to rely on these new technologies, but unfortunately the automakers haven't done their part to protect us from cyber attacks or privacy invasions," Markey said. "Even as we are more connected than ever in our cars and trucks, our technology systems and data security remain largely unprotected."

He said government and automotive industry officials need to work with cyber-security experts "to establish clear rules of the road — not voluntary agreements — to ensure the safety and privacy of 21st-century American drivers."

Markey said some security measures used by automakers — ID numbers and radio frequencies — can be identified and rewritten or bypassed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah the RL is not with the times of technology, but the Prius since it is all computers it can be hacked and I think it's more likely for electric cars to get hacked but many now put a bunch of computers in their cars which transmit signals that can be intercepted by hackers.

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
I think the RL is too low-tech to have any of these vulnerabilities.
Correct. The Ridgeline has no telemetry system such as OnStar. It has no wireless capabilities whatsoever other than Bluetooth, which has no physical connection to any data bus used by the powertrain.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda saw these issues coming and protected us by giving us nice, safe 1997 electronics.
Always look on the bright side of life.......Good One.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
All vehicles made since 1995 have OBDII ports - If someone plugs a wireless connector (most are bluetooth) and mates to it - they can control the ABS and the VSA systems if they have the right software and are within 30 feet.

In theory they can can set the TPMS light, Lock or unlock your doors, do anything that the HONDA DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM can do.

the device is the only 1/2 inch long and cannot be seen unless you look for it.

They are inexpensive (almost all are under $20) and most cell phones can control them.

Here is one of hundreds http://www.amazon.com/ERUSUN®-Bluetooth-Interface-Scanner-Compatible/dp/B00ARAQHGE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423747682&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+obd+ii+adapter

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
Lots of "invasive" stories in the news lately...

First, we had the media creating fear by spreading word that a hacker could utilize your GM vehicle's OnStar system to lock you in and drive you into a concrete barrier at 110 MPH even though there isn't a single documented case of this happening.

Next, smart TVs came under fire for using their built-in microphones to listen in on people. Specifically, someone discovered Samsung's privacy policy could allow them to eavesdrop on you. Dang. Who cares? They'd get really bored listening to me talk to my dog, the sound of my Blendtec each morning, and hearing my Roomba scream for help when it gets stuck under the sofa.

Then, also related to Samsung, owners began reporting that their smart TVs were inserting ads into content played locally from devices such as media servers and USB drives. In fact, one of my TVs is a "smart" Samsung. Last year, I had to disable the smart features because the TV kept popping up with ads wanting me to buy apps and scrolling Samsung press released. Can I not just watch TV, please!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I really wish the Smart functionality would be a delete-option on displays with superior performance.
There are so many more efficient ways to stream without loading up a display with all that technology which requires periodic updating, I think it is a waste of money.

Plus, 70-100 bucks to upgrade to a better Roku, etc. sure beats living with older technology in an otherwise good display.

I don't think it will go away though (like 3D is starting to) because too many consumers are into all-in-one solutions, even if those features become more obsolete over time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Typical hack strategy for professional politicians, who have never held a real job - invent a problem, spend tons of our money investigating it, then create policies and laws and an agency to oversee it, preferably located in the politician's home district.

We have seen this behavior many times before, from these politicians and others - after all, it's much easier than solving real problems, such as the radical increase in income inequity in this country. Oh wait a minute, all the politicians are on the high side of the income inequity - why would that concern them...

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
Shhh. That kinda talk will get your wrist slapped on here. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

(Not that I disagree with what you said!)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I did take care not to single out one side of the aisle or the other.

I assume that pretty much every member of the public understands that politicians, as a species, are in it for their own gain rather than to do what's good for the country or the people they represent.

F

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the stories is a bit over blown most people wouldn't know enough about the programming in cars to do this. Maybe in a few years when someone makes a program any idiot wanna be hacker can use might be an issue. I am new to the RL but judging by its some what older electronics I am guessing it safe short of someone wiring in some sort of piggy back to the vehicles cpu.

Why go through that much effort when there is much easier ways to hurt or kill someone?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Yikes..... glad no covert orgs are after me. :)
Well, if they really are covert you may not know!

Even people that are not paranoid get stalked. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts